Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Can a 40 size decathlon do a flat spin?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Can a 40 size decathlon do a flat spin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 40 size decathlon do a flat spin?

Did anyone here try this?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Can a 40 size decathlon do a flat spin?

This has more to do with trimming and flying technique so it has been moved to Sport Flying.

Trim, to make the model more able to achieve a true spin vs a spiral dive you'll want to move the CG back to where it is neutrally stable or very close to that point. Search for info on dive testing for finding the point where the model behaves in a pitch neutral or low reaction pitch mode to speed changes.

From there you'll need to increase the control throws as required to achieve the spin. From there the mode for making the spin switch to a flat spin varies from model to model but usually I've seen variations on increasing power slowly while neutralizing the ailerons and decreasing the elevator all in a slow and smooth manner that it increases the autorotation aspect of the wing panels.

Good luck with the practicing.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there so short coupled it's hard to get the tail to lay flat and stay there but they will flat spin you just have to constantly work the elevator
Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Q8cub,

Sometimes the real trick to a flat spin is getting out of it :-)

Some models once they are in a flat spin will not recover and end up trying to screw themselves into the ground.

Be careful out there...

Best Regards

Carlos G
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
VeeAte

Heed Carlos G's advice.
I have seen a guy practicing flat spins for his gold wings put two models in one after the other cause his recovery was left too late or he didnt have the reaction time or technique correct. 

To flatten a spin on some of my planes more than they usually flatten out you can sometimes slowly add power and opposite aileron and they will flatten out. Just remember to give yourself plenty of room to stop spinning and lose some altitude to build up airspeed again. 
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

High wing planes can do some really kewel looking acro/flip/spin moves when set up for them. Had a 40 size EZ Decathlon a few years ago that was a ball to crank and yank.

Terry in LP

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 AM
andrew66

ORIGINAL: VeeAte

Heed Carlos G's advice.
I have seen a guy practicing flat spins for his gold wings put two models in one after the other cause his recovery was left too late or he didnt have the reaction time or technique correct.

To flatten a spin on some of my planes more than they usually flatten out you can sometimes slowly add power and opposite aileron and they will flatten out. Just remember to give yourself plenty of room to stop spinning and lose some altitude to build up airspeed again.
thats exactly right. In the full scale world, If you use ailerons, you will only get in deeper. also try some up elevator (or down if inverted) and that will help agravate the spin and flatten it out. Just remember for recovery, neutral ailerons, elevator, throttle idle, rudder in opposite direction til rotation stops, pitch nose down, build up airspeed then ease out of dive and apply power as necessary. sometimes in a flat spin, you need to throw in some down elevator when breaking the spin. try it on the sim first if u have one, or else be really really really high when u enter.
good luck, i hope it turns out well.