Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

The A9 is way more radio than I need.......but I want to get away from the frantic button pushing on most other radios.
I fly 3 or 4 channel sailplanes and e-sailplanes. I don't fly heli or conventional airplanes.
I see the A9 programming more intuitive so I am willing to pay for the extra features I will never use.
For my simple plane configurations the A9 should be a snap to use.
I do have concerns that the touch screen could be problematic after a few years of use.
It will take a few years of use for the verdict to come in on that.

I think for a lot of people the higher end JR and Futaba stuff has just gotten to expensive.
Particularly the Futaba Rx pricing.
The new Airtroncics 10 channel rx is 150 dollars.
At Radical RC he is selling the Hitec 7 channel rx's for 57 dollars. These are the new 2.4 telemetry units.
What we are seeing here is..........Competition 101.
If Hitec wasnt offereing this system........your only comparative choice would be the 470 dollar Futaba 8fg or the Airtronics SD-10G for 450.00.
I dont see anyone else offering a extra free rx, or a free anything.
I do believe Futaba is offering a free neck-strap with their 8fg.

If it wasnt for this new Hitec system the only radio I could justify buying for my use would be a 7C.
I am glad I resisted buying a 2.4 till now......because I consider the A9 a very good deal.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

It is My understanding that Hitec is coming out with 4 and 5 ch. receivers. I think the 4 is going to be 30.00. GREAT PRICE!!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

Have just skipped thru the post and was wondering ??? Has anyone compared the Aurora to the Airtronics SD-10G Hobby people has it and 2 recievers for a fair price !! Compare like in Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges !!
Yes, I have owned both, plus several other types from DX7 to Futaba 12FG and JR 12X. I have settled on the A9 as my choice of best value in a radio, if I had to pick a second choice it might be the SD-10G. I had a 12FG immediately before the A9, I loved it but it was so expensive (8 channel receiver $140) and unnecessarily complex IMHO.

Comparing feature to feature, I would have to spend quite a while listing each system's capabilities. After a moderate amount of usage I would have to say that the two systems are equivalent in function. I am not aware of anything that one can d and the other cannot, at least in the range of normal usage. The A9 has 8 flight conditions to the SD-10G's 5, but to me that's the same since I would never use more than 2 or 3. The SD-10G has all 3 position switches, the A9 has only 2 three position switches. Again not a big deal to me and in some cases I prefer to have just 2 positions.

Both are excellent radios and a good value, both have economical receivers and both work perfectly in the air.

Here's the reason I chose the A9 over the SD-10G.

I used the SD-10G in 3 planes with both the 8 channel and 10 channel receivers. In the course of setting up the programming for these planes I became annoyed at the amount of time I spent pushing buttons. It has many long menus and I found it awkward to move around and do things, particularly the more complex things such as setting up mixes. A lot of time was spent scrolling up and down through the many selections in several menus.

I spend a lot of time doing setups since I do a lot of testing and experimenting. The A9 is, for me, much quicker to work with. I also like the feel of the A9 better, the SD-10G seemed too thick in my hands. I don't have long fingers, and I found that I had to stretch to a point where it was a distraction. This might not bother others but I was not able to get used to it. The A9 fits into my hands perfectly.

These two radios are virtually identical in capability with a few minor differences, I chose the A9 for physical reasons. If you have big hands and prefer to push real buttons rather than the touch screen approach then the SD-10G might be your preference.

TF

Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM
GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

It is My understanding that Hitec is coming out with 4 and 5 ch. receivers. I think the 4 is going to be 30.00. GREAT PRICE!!!!
It they really are that price then Hitec will begin to capture even more of the market. I don't have my Aurora yet but IMHO, barring any unforseen issues, Hitec has hit a grand slam with the Aurora. No doubt the other manufacturers are scrambling to keep as much market share as possible.

A quick comaparison of "comparable" radios to outfit 3 planes at msrp with no coupons or discounts:

Aurora with 9 channel receiver, $459. Another 7 channel receiver free and a 7 channel for $39. Total $489.

Futaba 10 with 14 channel receiver, $650. 2 more 7 channel receivers are $200. Total $850.

JR X9303 with 9 channel receiver, $629. 2 more 7 channel receivers are $200. Total $829.

Airtronics 10 channel with 1 10 channel receiver and free 10 channel receiver. Add 1 8 channel receiver for $100. Total $599.

IMHO, Airtronics and Hitec are the best deal going and no doubt are taking bundels of sales away from JR and Futaba. I believe that which the added features such as touchscreen and telemety, the Aurora is really in a different league. It's really hard for me to even classify all of these as comparable since only one has these features.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM
bipolar2

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Definate mental issues................

To: GhostRider32
Date: 12/21/2009 10:29 PM
Subject: who is the whiner on their vacation?

Twice you've replied to the same post. Both times you got it wrong, which is no surprise you being from Texas. I don't care what you buy or if you beat your 8 year old and wife.
I don't care. I didn't tell anyone what to buy or not to buy. That's A.T. and MikeMayberry. I'm not selling Aurora, Aurora is being sold in a support thread. Get it yet dummy?
I find the thread full of conflicting remarks and people with questions like balance and programming are attacked, just like did me with the medication and bi polar crap.
Are you really suffering from post trauma from your service or something? Get off my back, I didn't attack you publicly like you did. Jealous of my airplanes? Interesting you had to comment on that. Who isn't minding their business? At least I respect a SOB like you to PM you and not drag it into a forum.
Now go beat your kid and leave me alone.
Why have a mod remove this? You don't want everyone seeing how sick you are?

Edit: Spelling

There may not be enough meds available to help this guy!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

Heck yeah, I only use 4 channels on most of my birds, and if it has telemetry, fantastic..!!! I am still waiting for my A9, BUT Tower e-mailed me and said my 2.4 module for my Eclipse 7 with 2 Opti 7's has shipped...!! That will work for now..!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: rctom

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

Have just skipped thru the post and was wondering ??? Has anyone compared the Aurora to the Airtronics SD-10G Hobby people has it and 2 recievers for a fair price !! Compare like in Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges !!
Yes, I have owned both, plus several other types from DX7 to Futaba 12FG and JR 12X. I have settled on the A9 as my choice of best value in a radio, if I had to pick a second choice it might be the SD-10G. I had a 12FG immediately before the A9, I loved it but it was so expensive (8 channel receiver $140) and unnecessarily complex IMHO.

Comparing feature to feature, I would have to spend quite a while listing each system's capabilities. After a moderate amount of usage I would have to say that the two systems are equivalent in function. I am not aware of anything that one can d and the other cannot, at least in the range of normal usage. The A9 has 8 flight conditions to the SD-10G's 5, but to me that's the same since I would never use more than 2 or 3. The SD-10G has all 3 position switches, the A9 has only 2 three position switches. Again not a big deal to me and in some cases I prefer to have just 2 positions.

Both are excellent radios and a good value, both have economical receivers and both work perfectly in the air.

Here's the reason I chose the A9 over the SD-10G.

I used the SD-10G in 3 planes with both the 8 channel and 10 channel receivers. In the course of setting up the programming for these planes I became annoyed at the amount of time I spent pushing buttons. It has many long menus and I found it awkward to move around and do things, particularly the more complex things such as setting up mixes. A lot of time was spent scrolling up and down through the many selections in several menus.

I spend a lot of time doing setups since I do a lot of testing and experimenting. The A9 is, for me, much quicker to work with. I also like the feel of the A9 better, the SD-10G seemed too thick in my hands. I don't have long fingers, and I found that I had to stretch to a point where it was a distraction. This might not bother others but I was not able to get used to it. The A9 fits into my hands perfectly.

These two radios are virtually identical in capability with a few minor differences, I chose the A9 for physical reasons. If you have big hands and prefer to push real buttons rather than the touch screen approach then the SD-10G might be your preference.

TF

A very objective opinion based upon "real world" user experience!

As I have indicated in prior postings, all of these radios will control your airplane based upon your stick inputs, period. You command up elevator, that's what you'll get. Personally this holding down two buttons with two different fingers, whilst turning on the "power Button" with a 3rd finger, and standing on one leg, while sticking out your tongue, really irritates me in today's modern day era of electronics. Thats rediculous, and every radio I have had is like that, prior to the A9. That and the low price of support equipment is why I ordered one. Good bye DX7, good bye JR's, and good bye Futaba, great radios BUT I'll go with USER FRIENDLY and WALLET FRIENDLY anytime...
Old 12-22-2009, 12:58 PM
gjhinshaw

Troy Built Models has them IN STOCK!!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
GhostRider32

WooHoo, just scored my 9 channel. Should be here by no later than Monday.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc The Airtronics SD-10G has claimed to have the fastest response or lattency on the market. Thay claim it to be tested by an Independant lab. Its amout of software is what I am attracted to !! I understand how some feel when it comes to programing radios !! Everyone wants a fast set up !! well thats fine, but I spend a couple of years building a GIANT Warbird or a month on a 35% Aeroworks Extra, in which it take a week in servo programing of multi end points and control throws, cheeking amp draws, an extra day on Radio programing surley isnt such a big deal. Now back to the comparison I like the Ball bearing gimbals on the Aurora 9 and the one Rx antenna & booster The downlink is also a + also the touchscreen , instead of buttons & dials although which one will LAST the longest, as when I buy a radio, even as much as I fly I expect it to last at least 10 years with only a battery change !! I still am flying a Futaba pcm Super 7 in a 1/4 scale Balsa Usa Cub !!
Thank you for the input, hopefully threadnow stays back on topic. with regard tolatency and resolution:
Independent reports on latency of various systems Bestand most comprehensive seen to date, unfortunately report on Aurora is still awaited. Meantime:
Aurora A9 Resolution & Latency (read upto 2048 in lieu of 4096) "The system is capable of up to 4096+ resolution but this is limited by the radio system itself; it will handle what every your radio is capable of. Latency is 14us but this is added to the latency of the PPM system because it has to be converted from digtial to analog. FYI; In the Aurora this interface is digital so there is no added latency, just as if it were a native 2.4 system."
Aurora A9 Resolution- in depth explanation
as per
Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM
boothg-3

i would also like to see this thread back on topic
i really dont have time to sift through the garbage
i want to to see actual info from actual users
that would be welcomed
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. This thread WILL get back on topic - Right NOW.

If you have nothing constructive to add to it, then please post elsewhere

Thank you
Old 12-22-2009, 03:53 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

I've had an A9 on order with my LHS since Nov 10th. I just phoned him 15 min ago, he checked online with his supplier and they showed a mid Jan ship date. No way will I cancel the order just because I have to wait. My 9C has served me well for the past 6 years and I'm sure it can hold on for another month or so if need be.

Merry Christmas to all,

Paul
Old 12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
boothg-3

mine is also showing mid jan. and as i said before i can wait
what many dont understand is the current economy
many manufacturers have their products on backorder as well
you cannot afford to make products that may not sell
i,m happy to see this many are ordered myself
means some money injected into the hobby at a tough time
Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
gjhinshaw

Troy Built Models has 3 A9 with 9ch receiver left and 11 A9 with the 7ch Left.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Mike,

May I ask how does the AFHSS in Aurora9 work?
Does it constantly hopping accross the bandwidth at equal fixed interval like FASST?
What makes this an Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum? How does it Adapt when encounter inteference?
Does the RX tells the TX to hop when RX looses frames or does the TX tells the RX to hop when it found a stronger path in the bandwidth?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am wondering if Servo city will be carrying these radios and module sets? I always liked doing business with them. I am no where near ready to pull the trigger on this radio, but I am very interested in it and the modules for my old futaba super 8. I want to be able to use Hitec RX's and not be tied to the expensive Futaba offerings.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 AM
jedorme

It is extremely helpful & gratifying to read that so many experienced folks are choosing the A9, including their reasons for doing so. The objective comparisons between the Airtronics 10DG & Aurora 9 are very useful to know, particularly for me as a new flyer (about 8 or 9 months into it) who wanted to get a 2.4 radio and had narrowed my choices down to these 2 radios. I have struggled at times to use and/or understand the programming on my older JR 6 channel 72 and really appreciate the ease of use of the touch screen interface and logical sequencing built into the new radio. I've had my A9 less than a week & have already easily programmed 2 airplanes. I'm still spending some time on a trainer cord with my club instructor & got the new cord for the A9 but haven't used it yet & haven't flown with the radio. I want to take it very slowly & have been spending more time with the manual & radio together to understand it as best as I can. Many features just blow me away as a new guy, like being able to control my aileron-rudder mix on the left VR switch to adjust the mix amount up or down while flying! And after seeing 2 airplanes lost to onboard battery problems, having my RX battery status shown on the TX screen is very reassuring. What I can say though is that I'm a little overwhelmed not at the many features of this radio that I am a long time from being able to use, bur rather at how to make the best choices in assigning those commands I want to use to what switches. I don't know if there is any kind of suggested layout for new flyers (the manual makes a few selections that I have followed) and it may be that only trial & error will work for each individual. But all in all, from the perspective of a new flyer, this is an amazing radio & more than I could have hoped for in my move to 2.4 flying. I literally delayed getting into it due to my perceived complexity of the DX7, JR9303 or comparable Futaba radios. The A9 makes it possible for me to start doing things with this radio that would have taken me much longer to understand or appreciate in these other systems. So many thanks to Hitec for their fine product & this forum for all of the added information.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:11 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: LQUAN Mike, May I ask how does the AFHSS in Aurora9 work? Does it constantly hopping accross the bandwidth at equal fixed interval like FASST? What makes this an Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum? How does it Adapt when encounter inteference?
Does the RX tells the TX to hop when RX looses frames or does the TX tells the RX to hop when it found a stronger path in the bandwidth?
AFHSSExplained
"12Dec09 = Hitec AFHSS hops continuously, like Futaba, but between 20 channels .
There are two ways it can work.
Normal mode, (default) uses the same 20 channels as when it was bound. This has almost instantaneous linking time, and you can operate redundant RX's if needed.
Scan mode scans the band (79 channels) every time it turns on to pick the cleanest 20 channels to use. The link time is about 3-5 seconds, but you must cycle power if you lose power to either TX or RX (not brownout condition,) and you cannot use two RX's at the same time for redundancy. - Mike "

Extract from Auroramanual:
"Normal Mode
- In this mode the receiver/transmitter uses the frequencies which selected at the time it was initially set-up.
- After the initial set-up, the everyday start-up is quicker in the Normal Mode. In 90% of cases the Normal Mode is preferred by users.
- In the Normal mode, if the transmitter or receiver loses power, then power is restored, the system will re-link and function normally.
- The factory default setup is Normal Mode.
Scan Mode
- In ScanMode the receiver/transmitter will scan all available channels every time you turn it on.
It will then choose the cleanest frequencies to use. ScanMode is preferable to use when flying in a crowded 2.4GHz environment.
- While in ScanMode if the transmitter loses power it will not rebind to the receiver, if the receiver loses power it will take longer to re-bind than when in Normal Mode.
- In all cases the ScanMode binding function will take longer than in Normal Mode when you boot-up the system."

Aurora A9 Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 12-23-2009, 09:20 AM
tankengine

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

You can get a start on 2.4 and convert your Eclipse here so you'll be ready when the Aurora arrives.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ0&P=ML

Mike.
Hey MikeMayberrry Merry Christmas,

I've been reading about the Aurora 9 and would like to know.

I've been out of RC for 10 years and am just now getting back in and am awaiting the return from Radio South of my Futaba 9VHP transmitter on 72 mhz. I intend to continue using it on 72mhz for now.

I understand that I can purchase 2.4 modules and receivers from Hitec.
If I decide to convert it to 2.4 will the module in the aurora and the receivers work in my current 9VHP or will I need to purchase different modules and receivers from Hitec?

thanks for your help,

Tom Bufkin/tankengine
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
CE Taylor

I flew control line and free flight from about 1967 to 1976 and then was out of the hobby until about 2 1/2 years ago. I started out again flying control line and then tried rc. I taught myself to fly with a few three channel rtf planes and now am flying several .46 size glow planes and a few electrics. I also continue to fly control line. I have been using the Futaba T6EXP fm transmitter. I have resisted 2.4 transmitters because of the cost of recievers up until now. The Aurora's features seemed to be good and the price of recievers very good, so I ordered an Aurora 9 with the 7 channel reciever from Tower back about November 10th or so. It showed up yesterday. I read the manual last night and will try programing and flying one of my electrics today. The radio seems to be well made and the sticks feel very good. It is a much more expensive and complex unit than my Futaba, and it will take some time to get used to. So far I am happy.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM
MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: tankengine

You can get a start on 2.4 and convert your Eclipse here so you'll be ready when the Aurora arrives.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCZ0&P=ML

Mike.
Hey MikeMayberrry Merry Christmas,

I've been reading about the Aurora 9 and would like to know.

I've been out of RC for 10 years and am just now getting back in and am awaiting the return from Radio South of my Futaba 9VHP transmitter on 72 mhz. I intend to continue using it on 72mhz for now.

I understand that I can purchase 2.4 modules and receivers from Hitec.
If I decide to convert it to 2.4 will the module in the aurora and the receivers work in my current 9VHP or will I need to purchase different modules and receivers from Hitec?

thanks for your help,

Tom Bufkin/tankengine
The Hitec Spectra 2.4 module, used in the Aurora and available separately, would work with your Futaba radio as long as it is capable of PPM (FM.)

Mike.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

MikeMayberry,

Why does the 9 channel receiver have 2 antennas, and the 7channel receiver only have one?

Greg
For redundancy; It's not a necessity.

ORIGINAL: Howard

I remember hearing this same argument during the transition from horses to the horseless carriage. Keep your buggy whips cause horses are coming back as soon as folks realize that things like AC, heaters, GPS, satellite radio and CD players are just gimmicks that you don't need.

Howard
LOL!!! You remember this? [X(]

On the elevator mix to the flap. If you use a P-mix you can adjust the speed of the slave servo. I would set it up in P-Mix 6,7, or 8 which have 7 point curves so you should be able to get it exactly how you want. I think that is something we need to add to the airbrake mode... I'll put that on the firmware upgrade list.

Mike.
Mike,

Honest - I tried for about an hour and a half and tried turning everything on and then off and in the end I was not able to control the speed of the elevator as the flaps are moved. Master was 'flap' and slave was 'elevator' with the flap servo slowed using SSpeed. I also tried using both negative and positive ACC in the mix but to no avail. Ok I will take my lumps, humble myself at the altar of the forum, or do whatever it takes to just make the elevator slow down when they are moving as part of the flap mix.

Howard
Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
MikeMayberry

Howard,

How are you controlling (activating) the flaps?

Mike.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Mike Mayberry,

Not that it's a problem, but just out of curiosity why can't you run redundant RX's in scan mode? Also, is there enough wiring harness in the case that will allow me to relocate the trainer switch to the H switch position on the left and move the H switch to the right side. I could see the current position for a mode one user but for a mode two user like myself, it is a terrible set up. Hope your not offended by a little criticisim, that being said, I feel the A9 is a great radio based on what I've read. If I cannot move the switches, I'll just use my E-7 for training purposes. It is my intention to order one before Dec. 31 and possibly today.
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.