Stainless Steel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stainless Steel bearings

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

As far as hobby experts, this is what Dom Mix of Powermaster fuel says.

Another statement we read or hear frequently is that nitromethane is acidic and causes corrosion in engines. It isn’t acidic, and the manufacturers say it doesn’t happen…..can’t happen. However, at least one noted engine expert and magazine writer insists that it does. Flip a coin. (I once asked Dave Shadel, 3-time World Pylon Champion, and a fellow who works on more high performance engines than anyone I know, how frequently he encounters rust in engines that have been using high nitro blends. His answer? ''Never.'')

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/glowpower/fuelfact3.htm

1# What happens at the end of a pylon race? The fuel is pinched off at speed.
2# What product does Dave Shadel still sell? After run oil. (Good stuff by the way)
3# Does a pylon engine see the run time that a average model engine see before it's rebuilt or retired ? I think not.

Not much spent combustion products after a flight in that engine and I betcha he uses a squirt of his oil too.
He's not a good comparison to a weekend flier.

I don't care what brand of nitro containing glow fuel one uses, I couldn't in good conscious, tell a new/ fellow flier not to use after run oil.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Wanna see a rusty rear bearing from a Kyosho .40 GX engine( Same as ASP)?
Fuel: 5% nitro 20% Castor oil!

Compared to a new WIB C4 bearing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28887.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1362203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76831.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1362204  
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

As far as hobby experts, this is what Dom Mix of Powermaster fuel says.

Another statement we read or hear frequently is that nitromethane is acidic and causes corrosion in engines. It isn’t acidic, and the manufacturers say it doesn’t happen…..can’t happen. However, at least one noted engine expert and magazine writer insists that it does. Flip a coin. (I once asked Dave Shadel, 3-time World Pylon Champion, and a fellow who works on more high performance engines than anyone I know, how frequently he encounters rust in engines that have been using high nitro blends. His answer? ''Never.'')

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/glowpower/fuelfact3.htm

1# What happens at the end of a pylon race? The fuel is pinched off at speed.
2# What product does Dave Shadel still sell? After run oil. (Good stuff by the way)
3# Does a pylon engine see the run time that a average model engine see before it's rebuilt or retired ? I think not.

Not much spent combustion products after a flight in that engine and I betcha he uses a squirt of his oil too.
He's not a good comparison to a weekend flier.

I don't care what brand of nitro containing glow fuel one uses, I couldn't in good conscious, tell a new/ fellow flier not to use after run oil.

Most of us run the fuel dry, and I bet most use after run oil. Dave has experience with YS and other makes, not just pylon racers. No two strokes get combustion gas in the crankcase, not at all. This was before he sold after run oil. Nitromethane is less corrosive than the methanol and that's a fact that I supported when I posted the corrosion chart.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Wanna see a rusty rear bearing from a Kyosho .40 GX engine( Same as ASP)?
Fuel: 5% nitro 20% Castor oil!

Compared to a new WIB C4 bearing...
That looks like oil stains, not rust. There may indeed be some rust. I wouldn't know till I scraped away some of the stains. I have at least one engine that has worse stains than that and its been running fine for a decade or two. It's a Fox .50 and tons of castor stain in the engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:44 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

I would probably be correct in assuming that methanol, nitro, oil and additives when combined in a catalytic/combustion process with the gases of the atmosphere would create hundreds of new compounds, many caustic and acidic. A fraction of a percent of some acids will eat steel alive in conjunction with the ambient moisture in the air.

The nitro in itself may not be corrosive but what it mutates into with exposure to air or combustion is another story.

The chart you refer to gives a "D" grade to nitric acid and cast iron, the closest ferrous match to a bearing. Keep in mind that chart is manufactures "grade" rating for diaphragm pump housing which factors in acceptable erosion/life, a far cry from what a bearing race can tolerate.

Sure looks like rust on that bearing to me. I've seen varnish/wax too that's not it. "Oil stains" Really?[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Ken6PPC

That looks like oil stains, not rust.
[sm=75_75.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

So why are bearing problems less evident when nitromethane is not involved?
It isn't. I have flown both low and high nitro engines and I do not use after run oils and the only problem is a bad bearing after a lean run on 30% nitro in a four stroke. And some bearings that rusted that were not even installed. Many modlers using high nitro have attested that they have no increased corrorsion problems.
Sport_Pilot, if you care to do a few simple experiments, you will see that burning Nitro in an engine will greatly increase the chance of corrosion. I run anything from 0% to 30% nitro in my engines, depending on the application. I have run two-stroke engines on the bench both on 15% nitro and 0% back-to-back and have left those engines on the bench for several weeks (no afterrun oil used) and gone back and inspected them for corrosion. Without exception so far, the ones running nitro have shown signs of minor corrosion whereas the 0% engines were free of corrosion. These engines used the same brand and size of bearing.

Blowby is very real in two stroke and four-stroke engines. THere is always some product of combustion going past the piston and into the crankcase; in the case of a two-stroke of course, to be recycled upstairs again. Even ABN or ABC engines have a significant amount of blowby, especially when things start expanding at full power and maximum operating temperature.

Try it out on two similar engines next time you get a chance.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: proptop

I also think Nitric acid can linger longer than a ''flash'' inside an engines crank case...especially a 4 strokes case. It's a smell you'll never forget...that smell when you pull the backplate off a 4 stroker and take a whiff...[:'(] it burns your nostrils and can make your eyes water.
Spot on! It's a distinctive smell alright. I was doing a lot of flying at one stage using 20/20 fuel. I had the misfortune of having the cloth (reeking of that familiar "nitro burn" smell) I'd used to wipe up exhaust residue drape itself over the faceplate of my nice shiny Futaba 9CAP transmitter. A week later, I experienced the horror of seeing the permanent tarnishing of that "plastic chrome" finish - the transmitter looks like crap now, thanks to the corrosive products of model engine nitromethane combustion.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Harry Lagman

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

So why are bearing problems less evident when nitromethane is not involved?
From personal experiences, I can absolutely tell you there is a direct correlation with nitro and corrosion. The hotter the engine, the more nitro and the longer you you let it sit before it's run dry and after run oil added or flushed (run) out with FAI fuel, the more the ''red death'' eats the bearings.

If you run an engine way on the rich side, or cool and part throttle all the time you may not see as much corrosion, however I like to run full power most of the time, with the needle backed off 400rpm or 98% of what the engine is capable of.

I have a Mark 210 which I run only FAI fuel in. If I let it sit a few months it just gets a bit gummy from the castor getting thick. I popped the case cover to have a peek, they look brand new. I'll never have to worry about bearings in that thing, it'll out last me.
Couldn't agree more - Good post!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Pilotsmoe

Everything rusts when you live 2 blocks from the ocean, if I didn't put oil(ATF) in my engines after I ran them, the bearings would be covered in rust(stainless or not)[X(]
Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Spot on! It's a distinctive smell alright.
That smell is there with low nitro fuel, and not there with 100% castor.

In fact methanol has a stronger smell than nitro.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sport_Pilot, if you care to do a few simple experiments, you will see that burning Nitro in an engine will greatly increase the chance of corrosion.
I am currently out of the hobby right now, so it is not convenient for me right now. I hope to get back in, in a few months, so maybe then. For now why don't you try it and show us your results.

Blowby is very real in two stroke and four-stroke engines. THere is always some product of combustion going past the piston and into the crankcase; in the case of a two-stroke of course, to be recycled upstairs again.
Again there is very little burnt fuel in blow by, and any blow by in a two stroke is caught right back up on the next stroke.

Try it out on two similar engines next time you get a chance.
I have been in this hobby for decades and have never experienced rusted bearings in my engines, not even those with high nitro.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Ken6PPC

That looks like oil stains, not rust.
[sm=75_75.gif][sm=lol.gif]

I did not say there was no rust. Just that from the photo it looked more like oil stains, there are some blotch's on the crank that may be rust, but some crankshafts rust more easily.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Everything rusts when you live 2 blocks from the ocean, if I didn't put oil(ATF) in my engines after I ran them, the bearings would be covered in rust(stainless or not)
Yes I had some bearings and parts that rusted when I lived on the beach, but no problems with engines.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would probably be correct in assuming that methanol, nitro, oil and additives when combined in a catalytic/combustion process with the gases of the atmosphere would create hundreds of new compounds, many caustic and acidic. A fraction of a percent of some acids will eat steel alive in conjunction with the ambient moisture in the air.
Yes, but nitric acid is probably the least of the worries.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
RC-Bearings
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mike early

I think that RC Bearings told me the Stainless balls had the same Brinell hardness numbers as the Carbon steel bearings...
Mike,

They are in the same ROCKWELL hardness RANGE required for bearings but only a point or two lower than bearing steel. The difference in engines is not noticeable.