Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ed Kazmirski's Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM
wizzinbya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ed Kazmurski's Taurus

Let me just add, I have been building and restoring full scale aircraft for many years. Yes, the reason that silver pigment was added to the dope was to prevent linen degradation from UV, however, today's Dacron fabrics are no less safe from the effects of UV than the linen used in years past. We still use silver to block the UV and some people often use many coats of silver (sanding between coats) to fill the weave of the fabric and make a more astatically pleasing finish, although there is a weight penalty for doing this. Also, the reason there were so many silver colored biplanes back in the day is because, the FAA only required the fabric to be protected from the UV and anything more than that was up to the builder, and of course money was tight so many opted for no finish coat of color. Sorry to get off topic. :>) John
Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is...just trying to peak a little interest. I'll be posting later..after work.

Duane
Well you've got my interest peaked! I was going to pull the trigger on a model today, but decided to wait and see what this is all about.

FB
Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kingaltair

No comment at this time..there will be an official press conference later this afternoon.

Duane
Acutally I don't think the media has been alerted, so I don't think any "press" will be there. A "press release" might be more appropriate.

7-8PM Eastern Daylight Savings time
Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I think he's just pulling our legs. We're still waiting on that other announcement.

Come on, Duane, we gave you way more than 3 minutes this time

Andy
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
kingaltair

Members of the press, (and anyone else)

I'm going to do something I thought I'd never do...post pictures of my shop. I'm sorry to say that I have this trendency to not want to put everything away, resulting in a real mess over time. Lately it seems I spend 1/4 of my shop time looking for whatever I need at the moment. Enough is enough. Now you can almost eat dinner down there.

I finally decided to clean the shop, (with the help of my dear wife-Penny). We spent five hours down there not only cleaning, but installing new shelving etc etc. The reason I decided to clean the shop, (other than it needed to be done), was that it is a kind-of tradition when I start a new project...in this case a very special project.

Let me point out a few features visible in the pictures. Kevin Clark, (Pettern flyer 76) built me a building table identical to the one he used for the King Altair build thread. Things are held into place with magnets that attach to the 4X8 piece of sheet metal on top...really neat. Hanging on the wall behind the table is the original thick wing designed for the Taurus II, (it looks even thicker because of the photo angle). Above the T-2 original wing is Ed's last airplane...the attempt he made to get back into the hobby in his 80s. It was a metal plane with a modern proportional radio. The plane is totally ready to go, but was never flown. I bid for it as part of Ed's estate from Chuck Noble.

To the left of the wing and metal fuselage is the "unfinished" Taurus fuselage built , (presumably ) by Ed, and part of his estate. It is extraordinary workmanship, and light as a feather. The elevator surfaces were sewn in. The stab is the same stab as the Taurus 2, but the fin is thick. I believe it was an additional attempt by Ed to increase drag, that he abandoned in favor of the T-2 with the traditional fin. The wing intended for this fuselage is for a Bosch airfoil, so I believe that in spite of the sewn surfaces, this was a new fuse than the T-2. I have primed the fuse, and done the sketch for the classic color scheme.

By the way..on the table is a box from Jeff at Home and Hobby Solutions. The box contains the parts for the SIMLA PROTOTYPE. The plane built by Ed back in 1965 without plans now has been re-created as a laser-cut kit. After a lot of care and work by several of you from around the world, (you know who you are), this kit prototype is the tangible result of our labors, and we believe it is as accurate to the original as can be humanly possible after 45 years and lacking any plans or written documentation.

New for Jeff, this kit had to be engineered "from scratch" rather than simply creating a kit from the original plans...a much harder thing to do. We will not know for sure just how close it comes to the original Simla until the prototypes, (three) are completed, photographed, and displayed from the same angles as the pictures we have, but we are confident we did the best we could.

The prototype kits will be built by Kevin Clark, Jeff, and myself...looking for problems and better ways to produce the actual kit. Wish us luck. We may create a separate Simla thread..copying over some of the posts having to do with the Simla from this thread. Can that be done...I haven't tried it before? What do you think?

BTW...Jeff's Taurus kit, box and all weighs in at 5 pounds 6oz, (the finished plane weighs about the same RTF). The Simla kit tips the scales at 10 pounds. I don't know what kind of indicator that might be as to its final weight, but it's an interesting number.

Thanks Jeff for letting me announce your latest creation.

Duane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66159.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1399704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26583.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1399705   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28290.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1399706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99957.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1399707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91860.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1399708  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just knew it![sm=thumbs_up.gif] Let the balsa bending begin!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 PM
pimmnz

Michaelj2k, you sure that's a TF Taurus? Looks like a ply doubler on the fuselage inner, but my TF plan shows 3/32 sheet at 45 deg, so does the Meyer and the the RCM&E plan, you bin modifyin'?
And for those lucky buggers building those first 3 Simla's, we all want the updated drawings, and we ain't gunna wait fer long!!
Evan.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

In that picture above with Ed and his Simla - what radio was he using? Is it an Orbit? Anyone has a picture of that radio? Seems to be some curved text on front of the radio (maybe I can get that text to be like "Orbit" with some imagination). The transmitter has that "thing" on the antenna and I know some Orbit transmitter had that.

/Bo
Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 AM
pimmnz

Yep, that Ed's Orbit radio Bo, If you look back through the thread you will find photos of it, and where he scratched 'Kaz' inside the 'O' of Orbit.
Evan.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Do You mean this Orbit radio: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9226793
That is an Orbit 7-14D Proportional it seems (I have one).

It seems the radio Ed is holding in his hand in Simla airplane picture is something like this - see image below (from RCHall of Fame).
Is that radionewer or older thenOrbit 7-14D Proportional?

/Bo

Name:	Yw66360.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1399903  
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM
patternflyer76

This is going to be a historic build with a lot of history behind it. I plan on getting started this week end. I am honored to have this opportunity.

Thank you Jeff and Duane
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Yep, that Ed's Orbit radio Bo, If you look back through the thread you will find photos of it, and where he scratched 'Kaz' inside the 'O' of Orbit.
Evan.
Unfortunately the Orbit proportional I have that you described is NOT the one in this picture, and other pictures of the Simla. The one I have is evidently his last Orbit radio, and I don't have any picture of him with it...it's a shame. Ed was one of the leading pilots of the day, and as such was a friend of Orbit's Bob Dunham. He tested all the new Orbit prototypes before they were released. The Orbit unit in the Simla picture looks more like one of the ones pictured by BEM. There is a description of Ed's radio in this ad on the back cover of R/C Modeler in mid 1965. It's interesting that the radio spoken of in the ad is NOT the same unit Ed is using, (notice the position of the antenna, and the differences in the sticks). Either Ed had another prototype at that time, or he persuaded Bob to make him a custom radio with special control placement.

I asked Kevin if he'd come over with his stab, and we'll get started together. Weather might be good enough to go flying first.

Duane

Name:	Nl28634.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	1399920  
Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Michaelj2k

Michaelj2k, you sure that's a TF Taurus? Looks like a ply doubler on the fuselage inner, but my TF plan shows 3/32 sheet at 45 deg, so does the Meyer and the the RCM&E plan, you bin modifyin'?

Evan.
Well, the wing has the TF part numbers stamped on them but I could not see any markings inside the fuselage. As I mentioned, I acquired this airplane a few years ago as it had been passed around through several owners. It's quite possible that the original builder made this mod. I'll check my plans (TF and MAN).

The flight controls are done; left to complete is aileron hinging, paint, re-install radio, perform engine checks, final inspection and fly.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

Evan.
Well, the wing has the TF part numbers stamped on them but I could not see any markings inside the fuselage. As I mentioned, I acquired this airplane a few years ago as it had been passed around through several owners. It's quite possible that the original builder made this mod. I'll check my plans (TF and MAN).
Since graduating from "Taurus University", (by studying this 78 page thread in detail) Evan has become more of a "stickler" for details. We know a lot more that we did at the beginning, and as more information becomes available, we're trying to learn more of the "true history". Several of us have all the plan versions including the Meyer and magazine versions. It's been a fun study.

We hope to, some day, be as knowledgable, (yet humble) as the most famous Taurus authority who was our early leader.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Free Bird

Here's a couple of pics of a Taurus fuselage from a Top Flite kit and it doesn't use plywood doublers. The previous builder changed the build from balsa to ply.

FB

Name:	Tq48606.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1399927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58632.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1399928  
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Free Bird

And for those lucky buggers building those first 3 Simla's, we all want the updated drawings, and we ain't gunna wait fer long!!
Evan.
I sure wish I could have been one of the lucky 3 or maybe 4!

FB
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
kingaltair

One of Jeff's mods is a thin ply doubler...maybe it is one of Jeff's early fuselages. I've noticed that experienced builders often make mods, and build to taste if there is no reason to build it stock for historical purposes.

Duane
Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Evan.
I sure wish I could have been one of the lucky 3 or maybe 4!

FB
Didn't know you were interested. We had selected someone who later decided to bow out, and Kevin took his place. He lives only 20 minutes away from me and is a great and meticulous builder, (as you are).

FB- Contact Jeff at H&HS...who knows, but customarily only 2 or three prototypes are built due to the expense.

Duane
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
pimmnz

And like, I wasn't complaining about Mj2k's ply sides. TF did wing kits so you could scratch a fuselage and still have 'kit' wings, and even Ed's fuselage which Duane has uses ply doublers, least I think that's what he said. So it is a mod that has Ed's 'stamp of approval' if you like...Should be really overpowered with a .60 though...
Evan.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
kingaltair

And like, I wasn't complaining about Mj2k's ply sides. TF did wing kits so you could scratch a fuselage and still have 'kit' wings, and even Ed's fuselage which Duane has uses ply doublers, least I think that's what he said. So it is a mod that has Ed's 'stamp of approval' if you like...Should be really overpowered with a .60 though...
Evan.
Evan..you have a memory like a steel trap, (US expression). Now that you mention it, the "unfinished" Taurus fuselage DOES have a ply doubler, and has a much more modern look to its construction inside compared to the Taurus-2 itself. I'd forgotten about that. Ed was constantly changing things with each new Taurus he built...that much is absolutely certain from all the evidence we've uncovered.

In fact, the Simla contains a lot of refinements such as a cowled, side-mounted engine, changed vertical fin etc. I would love to know Ed's comments about the kit that Jeff has engineered. Sometimes I can't believe we actually got together on the internet and worked out many problems leading to the development of this kit. Model Aviation magazine has already asked for a construction article/flight report of the Simla. What a tremendous story to tell.

I hope it flys as good as it looks. We need to get a detailed updated flight report from UStik's simulator on its flight characteristics.

Duane

Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope it flys as good as it looks. We need to get a detailed updated flight report from UStik's simulator on its flight characteristics.
I'm sure it will. So did you get your copy of the simulator working in the end? Would be no problem to modify the parameters for your "modern" Simla version.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: UStik

I'm sure it will. So did you get your copy of the simulator working in the end? Would be no problem to modify the parameters for your ''modern'' Simla version.
No I never did that. Since the time we exchanged e-mails, I've changed to Windows 7, and I've lost all my old e-mails. Could you send me a new e-mail telling me how to do that. This time I'll do it right away.

Duane
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k

Evan.
Since graduating from ''Taurus University'', (by studying this 78 page thread in detail) Evan has become more of a ''stickler'' for details. We know a lot more that we did at the beginning, and as more information becomes available, we're trying to learn more of the ''true history''. Several of us have all the plan versions including the Meyer and magazine versions. It's been a fun study.

We hope to, some day, be as knowledgable, (yet humble) as the most famous Taurus authority who was our early leader.
I checked the TF and MAN plans, Evan is correct. But you know what? I can't see that plywood doubler from 300 ft.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Duane, do you know where that picture was taken? I'm 100% certain I know where it was. Although it was some 43-45 years ago I have some very good (albeit them old) memories of Kaz flying at that field. I may have some pics (in poor condition) to compare it too, but since I grew up in that town I really don't need to. To me everythingEd flew was a Taurus, some were just bigger than others; but hey, I was barely 10 years old then. Can't wait to see these girls when they ready for action, way to go guys!
hook
(Mark)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: hook57

Duane, do you know where that picture was taken? I'm 100% certain I know where it was. Although it was some 43-45 years ago I have some very good (albeit them old) memories of Kaz flying at that field. I may have some pics (in poor condition) to compare it too, but since I grew up in that town I really don't need to. To me everything Ed flew was a Taurus, some were just bigger than others; but hey, I was barely 10 years old then. Can't wait to see these girls when they ready for action, way to go guys!
hook
(Mark)
You mean this picture? No I don't but the date on the picture, (from Ed's personal photos obtained from the auction house after his death), was May 1965. There were a total of 7 pictures I believe of the Simla taken at different angles. I will post the ones I can readily get my hands on. The one below was the only one of Ed himself. It was taken early in Simla's life because he later made at least two mods to the plane that we know of. The ad picture from the magazine was taken later after he had made aileron changes, (he made them larger).

You are right when you say that to Ed all of the models were "Taurus". I had the opportunity to speak with him at length about the Simla and Taurus, and he seemed, (even after all those years) to not make much of a distiction between them. Simla was different enough to have its own name, but her referred to it as a 150% Taurus. Each Taurus was different as Ed was constantly experimenting with it. The familiar Taurus kit was just a stopping place in an evolutionary process...like a photo..where plans were actually drawn out and a kit was produced. In reality Ed didn't draw out formal plans as such...he had the formula in his mind, and would make certain changes in each model "on the fly".

We would be very interested in any photos you might have regardless of quality...we are trying to provide documentation of the era, and ANY new documentation is a good thing, and might shed a little more light on Ed and his designs.

Did you see Simla fly? If so, what did it look like?...what were its flight characteristics like...fast or slow etc? To the best of my knowledge, we only have ONE account of what Simla looked like in the air from one magazine account. Any accurate descriptions or documentation help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Name:	Xv65725.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1400652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97706.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1400653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75661.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1400654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47428.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1400655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20096.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1400656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88067.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1400657  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.