RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Flybarless Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/flybarless-helicopters-507/)
-   -   FW H1 flight controller (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/flybarless-helicopters-507/11688494-fw-h1-flight-controller.html)

VULTCH 03-11-2021 07:37 PM

FW H1 flight controller

Hi all. I haven't posted in a long while, but in this case I thought I would let you know how my FW H-1 system worked.
I have an Assault 450 DFC (short tail version) which Gartt manufactured. I saw the FW H-1 and thought I would try it.
After receiving the unit from Banggood, I installed and set it up. Setup is tricky as sometimes it will not connect with the
laptop. Had to power the unit down and try again. The box displayed 5-8.4V. My Bec is 6V so I thought I would use it.
There is no way to setup or change perimeters unless it is connected to a computer. I had to use the custom setup as
my copter is not listed in the menu.
I tried a test flight and it was very unstable. The throttle is controlled by the FC except for the kill switch on your transmitter.
The system is heavy and in order to balance added 100 gms to the nose, which helped., but still touchy and not stable on GPS.
I changed the BEC to another one and set at 6.5V. The manual states 6.4-8.4V, but since the box stated 5V I used the 6V for the first flight.
I done some tweaking on the program (Increased GPS to 39% decreased swash to 19%).
Next flight much better but noticed the rotors needed tracking, but before I could land the motor shut down and it fell 8ft to the ground.
Minor damage to the landing gear. The unit is setup so you can't run the motor manually. I always track and check in a hover.
Next flight hovered at ~6ft to check tracking but 30 seconds after takeoff, the system shut down again. I think the vibration is
causing the FC to shut down.
Good luck to anyone that has tracking issues using this controller.

The FC may work well for a 500 series, but for my smaller 450 is not a good choice. Either the unit is defective or very prone to vibration.
My TGZ-380 works much better and I reinstalled it.
I shelved the H-1 and may try it on a larger bird in the future.I'm not risking watching my chopper fall out of the sky again.
I'm not Henny-Penny. LOL

Vultch

VULTCH 03-14-2021 06:28 PM

Follow Up,
They just released an updated manual which shows the GPS unit must be mounted 15cm from the tail servo.. This may have been my problem with the unit stopping during flight. On my 450 DFC this would require
a total mod of the airframe to achieve. That may be the reason for the tail motor on the FW450. I have the 15cm wire on the GPS.

strong 06-12-2022 10:04 AM

What radio and receive did you use

VULTCH 06-12-2022 12:56 PM

I used a Turnigy (Skyfly) I-10 with 10 ch receiver. I must have received a defective unit as I replaced the GPS unit and tried again only to lose control after lift off.