Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Flyzone Micro Albatros

Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flyzone Micro Albatros

Got one of them last Friday at an LHS for $77.00. Came with a 3 channel transmitter, a single cell 120 mAh LiPo, 4 AA dry cells, a cast plastic pair of machine guns, and a clear pilot figure that I still need to paint and install. The LiPo is charged from a lead in a pocket in the transmitter case.

Late Sunday evening at the club field, I gave it it's first flight. The wind at the field had dropped to 5 mph or less a little before sunset, so I turned on the tranny, plugged the battery into the external connector on the plane, and gave a quick control check. I was expecting the plane to be at least as touchy as the Park Zone P-51 or Sukhoi. Actually, it was very relaxing to fly. Very stable, easy to control, almost like a trainer. Later in the flight, possibly about 7 or 8 minutes, I tried a couple manuvers, but wasn't able to complete a loop or roll. The rolls turned into split esses, and the loops ended up as stall turns. This possibly could have been the result of the battery geting low. There was no hint of the plane stalling out during the loops or rolls. Recovery was immediate.

Just waiting for the rain to go away so I can get to the park across the street for some more flying. I think I like it.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flyzone Micro Albatros

50+ Air years!

Boy, my original reaction to your report was distaste, dislike, not quite hate. Living across from a park is just not fair. Then the reaction began to soften a little. After all I have a 20 acre field behind my house. Trouble is the owners are growing stuff all summer. In the winter, the clay soil make walking a hazard. Also have 61 years + of hobby enjoyment, since 14. Just bought a 3700 sq.ft home near the Grandkids for peanuts, and there is a large open park a block away. Life is good. Now all we have to do is live long enough to enjoy it. Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
50+AirYears

Well, Ive been addicted since my 4th birthday in 1944, so I kind of got an early start.

I have some of those same feelings when I read somebody has a back yard big enough to fly in. My yard, street to back fence, is about 55' X 135'. I can maybe test glide small rubber power or gliders. Can't fly heli because of a couple trees and a grape arbor. At least the park is about 1 1/4 acre. Have a small kiddie play area at one end, so I can't fly anything very big. Luckily, my FF club holds monthly outdoor contests at the local Community College, my CL club has a couple circles about 30 miles away at the next county fairgrounds, and my RC club about 14 miles away lets any kind of safe flying, including CL, FF, Kites, and model rockets when it doesn't interfere with RC flying.

I'm very fortunate to have access to all these flying sites!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Gofer303
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any video of the Albatros? Is it a good plane to fly or what? I also can't fly at home so I go to work early and have a cement air strip that could land a ultra light ! Here is some of the videos at work been addicted to this hobby for almost 2 years now and just recently soloed at the age of 57! Link to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBE-5HGyCM
Larry
Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
50+AirYears

No video, at least not yet. Very easy to fly after experiencing the PZ micros. I didn't try it, but I had the impression it could fly hands off with just a little work on the trim. It just had a trace of a left turn. Maybe beause it was so steady, like a much larger plane, it didn't seem as fast as the other micros. Almost makes me want to try one of the real little 1/72 scale planes I saw a couple years ago at Toledo. Usually foamies don't excite me, but I like this one.

Before I left my last job, I didn't any space to fly around the plant, but until the club lost the old field to a developer, I was less than a 5 minute drive from work on my route to and from work, and the plant had a decent sized engineering garage and a town hall meeting area great for cars and planes. Used to fly indoor rubber free flight, electric RC heli, even some small ERC planes indoors. Even had a small RFI facility with instrumentation where I could occasionally check my transmitter output envelope without having to pay. Miss that job, but after working almost 50 years, I was looking forward to retirement, even if it came about 3 years early.