Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
DeaninMilwaukee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

I had been looking for something relaxing to fly in the golf dome in between flights of my more intense 3d planes, when I hit apon the idea of doing a basic GWS Cub parkflyer, with custom clipped wing cub paint. I decided to build it with abrushed motorin part because I had all the parts laying around, and performance would be adequete for just floating around with an occasional loop.

The stock GWS cub usestheir ips-a motor, which is a12mm diameter 1 ozbrushed motor in a 5.86:1 ratio gearbox. This works wellwiththeir 9×7 slowflyer prop on 2 cell lipo, pulling about 2 amps. I wantedmore power however, so I kept the stock setup but changed to a 8.6:1ratio, and 3s340 Kokum lipos. This setuppulls slightlyless amps than stock, andgives more rpm for better power. In flight,climb is quite a lot better than stock, and I have had flights as long as 18 minutes on the 340′s. That means average flight current in cruise mode is only around 1.1 amps, and the motor runs cool.The paintjob was done by buying a ” slope ” unpainted and motorless version of the plane, and used masking tape and foam safe spray paint. The white areas arejust bare foam. The only other mods were more scale like wheels and I used carbon rods for wing spars instead of the stock wood.

This is a nice plane for relaxing flight in indoor or calm outdoor air, and looks mighty nice on the fly-by. While not aerobatic, it will do nice wingovers and loops.

Dean

Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM
soarhead-RCU

Default RE: GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

Have to agree the GWS Cub is a great little flyer. I still have one from 6-7 years ago and fly it occasionally. Mine still uses the IPS system also, they are getting scarce I have heard. I have a gear puller and have replaced the motor several times over the years with the EDP 50 motor that is still available at a lot of places. To use a 3S pack with the stock IPS-A gear ratio you can use a 7X6SF prop instead of the 9X7 and it works great. Pulls less amps but the increase in voltage gives the motor a little extra oooomph. Still runs cooler than a 2S motor with the 9X7. It and the Pico Moth are classics as far as I'm concerned for calm air morning or evening flying in a soccer field or baseball diamond.

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
DeaninMilwaukee

Default RE: GWS Cub with custom paint on 3s.

The 7x6 does allow the motor to live, but you lose some prop efficiency by going to the smaller prop. I already had some C (8.6:1) gearboxes, so I just went ahead and used one. The gws ips motor's efficiency actually improves with higher voltage, going from low 50% range to low 60% range, just so long as amps are kept in the sub 2 range.

Dean