Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

MPlex TwinStar Recommendation

Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 AM
PaulCourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPlex TwinStar Recommendation

Guys,

I'm just building up my Multiplex Twin Star and was looking for some suggestions of radio / servo combinations for it... I have the wing servos so I just need to get the internal servos for the Rudder and Elevator and Rx.
Using a Ripmax Speed ctrlr with BEC and I'm in the UK so 35Mhz gear only please...

Many Thanks

Paul
Old 09-05-2003, 05:13 PM
hebertjj

Default MPlex TwinStar Recommendation

Here's the servoes I used: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/trans...roductId=BP110

I built a battery pack of 8 SCR2400 nicds which works well.

Joel
Old 09-10-2003, 11:25 PM
daveslats

Default RE: MPlex TwinStar Recommendation

Hi Paul,
I've been flying my Twinstar for about 18 months now. Great flyer, but here's a couple of tips so that you will avoid the problems I had.
The wing is not really strong enough to stand loops, as I found out one sunny afternoon last year. All I heard was a CRAAAAACK and then the fuse was simulating a dart and the wing was fluttering to the ground! In a state of shock I picked up all the pieces and a few weeks later summoned up the courage to put it all together again. Unlike humpty dumpty, it went together well, and its first post-crash flight hardly needed any throw adjustments at all.
So, my suggestion is, put some strengthening on the underside of the wing from servo to servo. I used carbon filament and feel confident doing all sorts of acrobatic maneuvers.
Another thing: there's a wooden plate into which you fix the wing blind-nut. Drill three 1/8" holes on either side, through the wood and down about 1" into the foam. Then cut lollypop sticks to the same length, coat them with 5 min epoxy and fit them into the holes, leaving them flush with the top of the plate. That wooden plate will never give way! As with Joel, I use 8X2400 Sanyos, but, funny enough, have recorded my longest flight (22 mins) with a 7X2400 pack. I think it's the lighter weight.
Anyway, you've bought a great plane, and there's lots of things you can do with it. Mount a mini video camera, launch small gliders, I've even seen it fly off floats.
All the best.
Dave
Old 09-11-2003, 03:53 AM
PaulCourt

Hebertjj, Thanks for the info, servos look OK for $10.00 each !!, interesting that you use a 8 cell pack, will try that, thanks

Daveslats, excellent info, many thanks for the tip on strengthening the wing plate, will do that for sure !! I have a 7 cell pack for this plane but I do have an 8 cell from another so will try both to see which works best..

Thanks both of you for the tips, I'm looking forward to flying the Twinstar and have ordered a small wireless cam which should be great fun.

Regards

Paul
Old 09-14-2003, 02:59 AM
trickyh

Hi

Four of us are all flying Twinstars in our club and have great fun with them. With a little bit of tweeking they will do almost anything from slow 40minute+ thermal flights to consecutive rolling circles....(!)

1st we binned the stock motors and replaced them with Grapner 7.2V Speed 480's and Cam 5.5x4.3 carbon props for extra go with little outlay

The wing does flex alarmingly when you loop, especially around the wing servo well area. We reinforced ours with a strip of 2'' Zagi tape running full length on the underside of the wing

Use two 3mm wing bolts and captive nuts to hold the wing on as the standard fixing method isn't up to the job

If you want to save weight, build the whole kit using odorless Zap instead of epoxy and use a leightweight battery pack. (we use 8cell zagi packs)

Have fun

Tricky.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:21 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

I have recently just done some intial test flying on one, I picked this twin engine mainly because it was initially stated by Tower that it was made form EPP, but it's not and they have since edited the website, the price is still very good despite not being EPP. By chance I bought the highest thrust geared Spd 400 GWS had available for their four bladed props. The motors can handle 10 cells for short bursts and they sound like tubines. I am going to use it for a camera plane. My flying weight was high at 54 ounces and the thrust wasn't so great. Unfortunately, the motors do best with 14x7 2 bladed props, but the plane only has enough space for 12x? props. I was anxious to fly it so I used 2 standard servos in the fuse, but have switched to 2 HS-55's, I also lowered the cells to 8 and changed to a micro RX. I am going to eventually change over to the new EPS350 C with the H ratio, it works best on 12 inch blades and the thrust will be close to my new flying weight. Unfortunately the amps are going to shoot way up on these little guys, but hopefully I will be able to throttle back just as far to keep it at high altitude. My flying weight is down to 46 now and should go a little lower, this is good for the landing gear mod I intend to install. One thing that is a good idea and I do it on most my planes is get some adhesive vinyl for the fuse and lower wing tips. The best stuff I have found is from a motorcycle shop that sells off road vehicles, many carry this thick vinyl that protects the plastic and number plates. It can be ironed or heat gunned into shape, makes the bottom slick enough in many cases to ROG from grass and really protects the fuse from gouges. However, I am planning on adding landing gear, I was going to do trike until I saw the taildragger mod on EZONE. This mod is easiest to perform before the tail is installed for a steerable tail wheel, I'll probably have to go back up to a HS-81 metal gear minimum. It looks like an outback bush plane. It's been alot of fun so far If your going to be doing some stunting, I almost always use carbon arrow rods in place of wood spars.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:42 AM
PaulCourt

Trickyh - The more I hear about this plane the more excited I am about the prospect of flying it, sounds like a great toy...
got most of it built now so too late to use Zap but I have been careful with the 5 min epoxy so hopefully it won't weigh a ton.
Like the idea of the Zagi tape, our local shop sells something similar for their EPP park fliers so will pick up a roll next time im there.
Agree about the need for better props, first thing I bought was a pair of 5.5 carbon props and ali prop holders but I unfortunately had already glued in the 400's so will have to skip the 480's for now..

GOOD NEWS ON THE WING MOUNTS - My kit is fairly new and there is an extra kit included for upgraded wing mounts - also a great update instruction sheet saying "Continued Product Development has identified a potential weakness in the wing mounting area" !!!
The upgraded kit removes one of the layers of ply on the mount and includes a metal captive nut with a mount thats about an inch across - also has a great line about building up the plate with epoxy "For added security" - see the earlier post from daveslats with a better idea to strengthen the wing plate..

SRA - sound like you've gone the same route - change the blades and motors - will have to conceder that as a retro upgrade but will try on the 400's first I think, just so I have a base to compare too..

Like to idea of the tail dragger - may try that later as the strips I fly off are a little rough for that, one of the things I liked was the possibility of hand launching the TwinStar.

I have recently taken delivery of a small wireless cam and was playing with it last night, the ground range was no to bad but the acid test will be aboard the Star !!!

I will post final weights and a flight report as soon as my mail ordered servos arrive and I can get the Star where it belongs - at 500 feet, close to the edges of my smile !

Thanks All

Paul C
Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

I tested the new flying weight today with the 4 bladed props, it behaved in similar fashion to the higher weight version. The increase of performance that occured because of the lower weight was not very noticeable since I also removed 2 cells. Atleast the lower weight lowers the strain on the airframe. I love those 4 blade props, but I think they just aren't going to work, I was hoping for enough performance to be satisfying, but they are a little too weak. Now to try the 12x6 again or even some 12x8, I don't think the improvement will be as good as what the EPS350 H ratio will give me.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42952.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	61811  
Old 09-17-2003, 05:33 AM
PaulCourt

Such a shame the 4 bladed props don't work that well, they look the part !
Let us know how you get on, will be interesting to see what works the best in the prop dept, I've gone for the carbons with the Ali prop holder and the standard 400 motors...

Hopefully have mine finished this weekend

Paul C
Old 09-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Dave Lilley

You should try 4-bladed VarioProps. If you are using a speed 400 6v, use the 5.2" long set to 3" pitch. If you are using the s400 7.2v. you can use the 5.8" props set to 3" pitch. They worked well on my old Twinstar.

Name:	Ec89046.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	61925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14992.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	61926  
Old 09-17-2003, 10:58 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I've had a TwinStar for two years now and I love it. I hand launch it and it flies beautifully. I changed the props to 5.5x4.5 APC's with FMA adapters. I also changed the wing holddown to 10x32 nylon bolts by DuBro. I use Megatech servos and a 1400MAH 7-cell pack with a Great Planes 30 AMP ESC. It's a good combination.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:50 AM
Peterm

G'day all,

I too am looking at purchasing the Twin Star.

SRA Foam Flyer mentioned that on ezone there was a mod to make it a tail dragger? I have had a look on ezone, could you give me some hints on how to find the information on ezone?

Thanks

Peterm
Old 09-18-2003, 10:55 AM
SRA Foam Flyer

I am not sure how to transfer a link into here anymore. Anyways, in the EZONE foamie forum, there is a search block at the bottom of the page. Try entering "twinstar mods"
the actual name of the thread may be too long, it's "twinstar with a twist". Page 3 and 4 have most the info.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:43 PM
Dave Lilley

Taildragger Twinstar video (zipped)
http://www.ezonemag.com/~dlilley/vids/ts2.zip

My mod was a little simpler than some. I cut out some of the foam (1/8” deep) under the tail and belly and added 1/8” ply plates. I used a standard glow 40 tail mount wheel, but instead of running a separate pushrod, I pushed the tailwheel wire up through the foam into gap in the hinge. I then bent the wire so that I could secure it under the rudder control arm mount, while still allowing the wire to turn smoothly at the hinge. Basically, at the height of the control horn mount, I first bent the wire left 90 degrees (looking towards the nose of the plane). Next, a centimeter or so out, I bent the wire back towards the tail of the plane. I unscrewed the control horn, put the wire under it, and screwed it back on. Of course, I clipped the wire so that it did not protrude out too far behind the control horn. If you use sufficiently strong enough wire, it will retain its shape well enough to keep the plane tracking straight. This saved the extra weight and hassle of running another control rod, and it worked well.

Name:	Ro41787.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	62209  
Old 09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
daveslats

That set-up looks great, Dave. My only question is: How does it fly with that extra drag? I have a Twinstar and was thinking of retro-fitting light alu gear, but the flying results I experienced on my Partenavia twin with and without l/g gave me pause for thought. The bird is sooo much slower and less responsive with the gear on, and with more throttle, get around 1/3 less flight times on a 2400 7-cell pack.
I'd appreciate your comments.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Dave Lilley

It was a little more sluggish with the gear, but I prefer to say that it was more "scale-like". The main thing is to keep the mods light. I started with heavier plastic/rubber wheels, but when I switched to lighter foam wheels, it flew much better. However, I have always used an eight-cell pack in my TS. My buddy had the Partenavia with the recommended s480 motors and used the recommended 10-cell pack.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, you guys do some neat things with your TwinStars! Mine is ancient, I think it was one of the first batch. It's just as it came, with the Multiplex power set. I get 4 or 5 minutes if I keep doing loops & rolls, but one day somebody timed me while I was just slow-flying around, and it was around 10 minutes.

I just use it as a diversion in good weather. During the winter, I carry it most days. After work during that half hour or so before dark, it will go together quickly for a short flight. I'm beginning to wonder how long those little motors will last!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 10-03-2003, 10:08 PM
SRA Foam Flyer

Well I got my combo down. I went with the D ratio kit for the GWS EPS 400 and changed out the gears. The 4 bladed prop had just a little too much current, but the 3 blades seem just right, the speed it way up and the static thrust is great. I can kep it in the air at 1/3 throttle. The 3 bladed props actually look better, closer to the scale. Now on to the landing gear. I may try the 8x8 four bladed props sold by Todds Models, they are already black and supposedly more durable.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:36 AM
G1EZV

Anyone help me?

I have purchased an 'unwanted' Multiplex/Pico Twin Star.

What concerns me is the amout of Gap After/Before, depends where you mount them, the Wings.

Should it be mounted flat up against the 'Cockpit' cover or, should there be anothe piece of foam inserted, which I do not appear to have!?

Any help would be appreciated

Ron
Old 11-29-2003, 01:29 PM
daveslats

Congratulations!! You have acquired one of the best-flying foamies around. The "gap" as you call it SHOULD be at the trailing edge, and is there to allow the cooling air current to exit the plane. So the wing mounts flush up to the cockpit cover. Anyway, the hole you're going to drill into the plywood plate will align with the hole in the front of the wing, so I really don't know how you're gonna go wrong.

Good luck, and happy flying!!
Old 11-29-2003, 03:50 PM
G1EZV

Thanks for the info.

I am just returning to R/C Flying after 20+ years in the 'Wilderness'

Used to fly Slope Soarers, didn't like noisy 'Fans' but the advent of better Electric power, I am looking forward to spending some time on a friend's farm.

Thanks again

Ron
Old 10-24-2004, 04:40 PM
ashleyhall

Interesting thread, just bought a second hand TwinStar, great plane although little worried bout looping the thing now!

Have reinforced the wing top and bottom with Fibre Tape (not the hard setting type), hoping that will help.

I'm running 480's, whats the best replacement prop for these? I'm looking right now at these, but will they make much difference?

Carbon Prop & Prop Adapter 5x5
Upgrade your normal Twinstar Props.
Price: £3.39 £3.98 Including VAT at 17.5%
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 AM
G1EZV

Tape it and Loop it! [>:]The wings will flex, as in Full size Aircraft. If they don't they break!

Make sure your wing fixing are secure. I bought a 'pre-owned' and didn't check![:@]

Wings made like a sycamore seed and the Fuselage like an arrow! Trouble is Arrows don't have 7/8 Cell Battery Packs in them, and the Terra was very firma![&o]

CA & TLC means that it flies again. Slightly the worse for wear but that is the purpose of the design.

Happy Flying
Old 12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
airborne1107

Hi I have a Twin Star too, and had tried many motor combo from 370 geared 5:1 using 9X7 prop, 400, 480 direct 5X4 and 480 geared 1.8:1 using 8X6 prop, from all the about combo the fellow just didn't fly well, I have crash it many times and had repair it many times, its now 1.5 KG flying(Including the 7X 3000 NiMh cells) weight.... thought it was too heavy, check the manufacturer website...flying weight looks ok.. it just seems to have so much drag...the last thing I did was to convert it to quads, using 4 X GWS 300H motor on 4X3 prop. It become very stable however always need to fly at 3/4 throttle...

What is your total flying wieght on your twinstar..?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 AM
G1EZV

Hi,

No idea as to weight. It breaks, I repair it, it Flies etc. etc.

No mods. Still on orginal 400's & Props.

1700 7 cell NiCad gives me around 10 mins stooging, 2300 NiMh around 20 mins.

Have now moved up to an SC46A powered conventional build so, the TS will get neglected now, until the weather is more acceptable for foamies. Less wind and drier ground as we have had a crap year in the UK in 2004

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Ron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.