Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Rochobby Waco

Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rochobby Waco

I recently bought an FMS PT-17 Stearman and love it, so I bought a Rochobby Waco, but it has been a nightmare from day one.
First I discovered that they didn't give the any screws for the wing struts, so I had to find some. Then when I removed the servo/receiver hatch the magnet came out of the fuselage and was stuck to the hatch. I glued that back in. Then I found the aileron servo arm to horn control rods were so long, I had to screw the clevis's on way past the threads, and the rods are almost rubbing on the horns. Then I discovered the holes in the main wheel rims are a lot larger than the axels, so the wheels move up/down a lot. At that point I was considering using the new Waco for target practice.
Then when I bound it to my DX6i, the motor didn't beep, and the motor would not turn, but all control surfaces worked fine, so I took the receiver out of my Stearman, and got the same results. I put the receiver back in my Stearman and discovered the Waco's esc had burned out the throttle channel of it's receiver, so I tested the other receiver and it was ruined also.
With 2 destroyed receivers, and all the other hassels I was losing patients quickly.
The store can't send me a replacement ESC because their all out of them, so I bought a 40A Phoenix ESC on Ebay.
Then I test fit a 2200 3S battery into the plane and discovered that it's really difficult to get a battery in and positioned correctly, and even then, the Velcro strap cannot sufficiently hold it from sliding rearward under very little pressure, which could result in a crash. Velcro cannot be used to keep it from sliding because once it's in you need to slide it forward about an inch, and there's no room in there to grab it, so a handle made of duct tape or something would have to be stuck to the center of the battery so it can be pulled forward once it's in. Totally ridiculas ! Im thru bothering with this poorly thought out Waco.
I find it very hard to believe that the same company that made my PT-17 Stearman also made this poorly thought out Waco.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 PM

I just had a brain storm. If I glued a small piece of Velcro to all my 2200mah batterys, right where the Velcro strap goes across, that would keep them from sliding, but I would still have to make the tape handles I mentioned earlier, for pulling the batterys forward after their in the compartment, and then apply the hold down Velcro strap.
I could also put some heat shrink on the axels to get the up/down slop out of the main wheels, or make brass tubing sleeves, or find some different wheels ?
It's such a nice looking plane I hate to give up on it, but im pretty disgusted with it right now. I can't believe it had so many problems right out of the box.
I've got 6 other PNP scale planes, and they have all been a joy, including the FMS PT-17 Stearman, but it's not an FMS Rochobby plane like the Waco.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM

Motion RC has great customer service, they are sending me a new esc and motor. This Waco just might fly afterall. I hope it flys as good as it looks.