Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Old 09-30-2003, 12:04 AM
Wingman33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the easiest Arf ever to biuld ,EPP foam is a great choice for a biulding medium ,Looks wonderful,Price is rite, BUT************************It flies like a brick it is under powered .a exstesivly short wing gives it scale looks but major flight instability,Im selling this little sucker It says on the box (If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen)Hey Guys Your House IS ON FIRE!!!P.S. I put some pictures of it in the (Electric Jets) forum.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:55 AM
woodduck-RCU

Default RE: My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Wingman33, Thanks for the review ,I was going to place an order for one but thought to give the RC Universe forum a look before I ordered. I already have a couple of bricks in my fleet and don't need anymore!

Thanks again

Woodduck
Old 09-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Icky

I saw one of these fly out at the local field about a month ago. It flew great! I didn't get a good look at the flight hardware though, so it is possible that he was using a more powerful brushless motor for power.

The flight performance was awsome! This plane can do rolls faster than anything I have ever seen. I almost wanted to go out and buy one then and there.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:40 AM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Mine flew fine, and I used the stock equipment with 7 cells, I like the twin jet much better though, I'm selling mine too!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Wingman33

Lipo cells would make it lighter a plus, a brushless motor a big plus, a bungee launcher would be great ,Its a real looker mabey I just expected too much . But I call em like....(( I ))see um.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:11 PM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

Mine launch's fine and really zooms !!! great fun!!! The stock 400 with KAN 8 cell really gets it groov'n.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Wingman33

Short wing span makes it a very unstable flier,with the 400 gunther prop and small wing area makes it a underpowered brick. Keep some CA and Kicker handy !! But to all you guys that say you love yours more power to you**** (and it was clocked at 108mph) :O Aw that aint nuthin!! Mine was doing 109mph wene it roll rated its --- rite into the ground WOO HOO!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13952.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	67019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71832.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	67020  
Old 10-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Ben Lanterman

I have one with the factory setup but I use 8 cell 500mah Nicads, not the 7 cell pack.

I can't throw it hard enough due to a personal physical problem (tried but made long landings instead of going up) but instead use a bungee launcher. The bungee works beautifully and it is great to watch it blast off the grass and then hit the throttle at 5 or 6 feet of altitude and keep right on going.

Although I can't throw the airplane I have been flying for 40 years with all kinds of airplanes (also I am an aero. engineer) so I do feel that I can make a reasonable assessment of the airplanes capabilities.

Keep in mind the instructions say don't try to glide the airplane. It won't. This should give you a hint of what is to come but with the factory recommended CG and settings the airplane will fly perfectly. Miss those and all bets are off.

It is an airplane for an experienced flyer ........ Think letters two inches high,, blinking red, experienced flyer.

I find powered flight is fast and precise and looks great. It is a ball to fly and you will be hard put to remove the grin from your face. The slow flight is predictable and but not very slow. However the airplane is still precise and controllable.

Always keep the speed up! The size is deceiving, it is a high performance machine, not a slow flier.

I personally will always have one in the flight hangar. It is just too much fun to pass up, especially at the price. Also my beautiful wife/pit-person enjoys helping me with it. She thinks it is neat.

Now, with that all said, what they do need to make is the same airplane but out of a lighter foam with something like a small geared GWS motor that will have a slow speed in the sky and still look fast for those days when you don't want or need an adrenalin rush.

Buy one and enjoy it but be sure you can handle it.

Ben
Old 10-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ben - Flew mine again this AM and always ends with a grin on my face! Your comments are right on the money.

Name:	Xv62876.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	69311  
Old 11-02-2003, 08:45 AM
andyede

I've just bought one of these...am in the process of making it but have a duff speed controller so have to get a new one....

i've looked at alot of articles i could find on the web and peoples opinion seemd to be either very disapointed or very pleased.

One thing i did notice was that a couple of people have changed their minds about the performance when they have realized they made silly mistakes in the building. simple thing like not having the propeller the right way around (since you have to reverse it from the way it comes in the kit). could little things like this be an issue with some of the disapointments?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:54 PM
jpultimate

Default RE: My <span class=

I've had one for about a month now and have continued to make improvements to it in terms of flight tuning and equipment changes. I didn't care much for it with the stock setup as flight times were too short for me. The new setup is, Mega 16/15/7 brushless, Castle Creations ESC, Thunder Power 3 cell 2100mah Li-PO battery and APC 7x5E prop. There are combinations that make more thrust and speed; MotoCalc estimates thrust with this setup at 13.4 oz with a static pitch of 57 MPH. The plane weights 16.3 oz, so vertical is VERY good but not unlimited. Launches are easy now and inverted passes at 10' pushed into a large outside loop is very impressive. This is now my favorite electric, followed closely by my Zagi. Still, $300 worth of electronics (Including the radio gear) in a $50 foam airplane seems a little obscene, doesn't it? But it's sure FUN!

P.S. I flew it today for about 8 minutes (it was 30 degrees or I would have flown it longer), put the battery on the charger at it only took 769 mahs! That means I only used a little more than a third of the battery capacity!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:33 AM
DominicM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have only flown mine stock and it's OK but the lack of power means you have to be extremely careful how you fligh it. It stalls real easy. Found out yesterday it doesn't knife edge that well. Creamed the grass, rolled, spun. One wing ripped off and nose bent. Fortunatley the carbon tube I recessed into the belly from the tip right to the back saved it. Went back together beautifully.

IMHO the stock 400 is what makes this an advanced model. You have to know how to cope with it when it's that underpowered. With a hot 480 or above you could kick in the gas and wouldn't have a problem. The only limiting factor then is your eye sight. You have to keep it close and keeping it close is scary.

Just to add, the one thing I hate is how it appears to 'surf' the air. It bobbles up and down continuously.
[&:]
Old 12-23-2003, 06:59 PM
SJN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im also flying stock setup. I also hate when it bobs up and down with the nose.
Strangely, it does not do this when you fly inverted. Then it fly`s perfect :-)
Maybe it has something to do with engine placement. You can hear the prop stall when it does this.
Maybe lowering the motor would help.

Name:	Ca81229.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	84809  
Old 12-24-2003, 12:08 PM
jpultimate

Mine was doing the Micro Hula as well (bobing up and down), I made several changes at once but, the one that I think got rid of the bobing was I moved the CG to about an 1/8" forward of the balance bumps. It flys very well now and tracks like it is on rails.

I deceided to fly mine yesterday until the battery ran down...28 minutes! I'm now ready for the psycho ward! This thing is fast!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Sonic358

Where can I get props for this plane???? Anyone know
Old 12-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Wingman33

Atlantahobby. com --- sells zagi fiberglass props and aluminum hubs . much better than the stock props.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
PaulVi

If you want the stock push on props look here they also have the carbon props as well.

http://www.clayshobbies.com/Airplane...RC/Zagiacc.htm