Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

HELP! Hoobico MKII ok for Lithium Poly's?

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

HELP! Hoobico MKII ok for Lithium Poly's?

Old 10-23-2003, 07:47 AM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Hoobico MKII ok for Lithium Poly's?

Our club is trying to choose a good field/home charger for the 3DX foamie plane setups using the E-tec Li-Po 11.1 v 3-cell 1200 maH batteries. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a good choice. We are looking at the Apache 1500 or the Hobbico MKII.

Hobbico is $50, Apache is $80. The Hobbico seems like it is much more versatile and less expensive. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:57 AM
rmh

Default RE: HELP! Hoobico MKII ok for Lithium Poly's?

good question - answer is - the Hobbico -
also read the Hobbico site info on Hobbico chargers -it does call out that it works for Lipo
I have many charge cycles on 2and 3 cell packs plus other NiMh etc on mine - it really works
best bargain by far -in a charger .
Note of caution-- these chargers really need a GOOD,BIG 12 v battery - get a small tractor battery and a float charger for the battery - keep it charged at all times .
Old 10-28-2003, 02:04 PM
GW-inactive
My Feedback: (4)

Dick, are you getting a full 12.6 volts into the cells from this charger when it completes its charge cycle?

The Triton we were playing around with often stopped the cycle at 90% capacity. Most times at 12.1 volts or less. Be interesting to see if the Hobbico got the full 12.6 into the cells. If its does, thats quite the bargain charger, and multi use as well.

GW.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:34 PM
d_wheel

G.W.

I emailed Great Planes regarding the Triton charger and what I believe are it's shortcomings. Their reply led me to believe that they are so afraid of a law suit that they have decided to be very cautious with the unit regarding LiPo charging. They use the correct voltage of 4.2 volts/cell, only when charging 1 cell. When there are 2 in series, they back off to 8.3 volts, 12.1 at 3, and 16.1 at 4 cells. Of course, you already know that they limit the charger to 2.5 amps on LiPo's. IMHO, they are shooting themselves in the foot. If they would up the charge voltage to the correct level, increase series cell count to 6, and up their charge current to 5 amps, they would have the premium charger on the market. As far as I know, it is the only one with a temp sensor, and this makes me feel much safer when charging LiPo packs. However, for my larger packs, I bought an Orbit because of it's higher current/cell count capabilities.

I have one of the original Triton's. I did not send it in for the software "upgrade", and it charges LiPo cells correctly (4.2 v/cell). I don't plan on sending it in because I have read quite a few messages where users are dissatisfied with the new version.

Later;

D.W.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
GW-inactive

DW, Same info here. I think the Tritons would be the Premium chrger as well ig they would set it up correctly. I am still on a hunt for charger now. I hate to pay $200 for the 636 Schluze. I guess I may order an Apache 1500 and stivk with smaller cell counts for now. Its about $80 and handles up to 4 cells.

I was hoping th Hobbico MK 2 had a proper charge circuitry. At $49 iys a bargain charge if it works. I really dont like the Auto-detect cell count it uses though.

Hopefully Dick will chime in with some good results on the ability of the Hobbico MK 2 to get the 3S packs up to 12.6 or close anyway.

Dick, Also: What about charge times on the ETEC 1200 3s1p packs to full charge from near Lowest Voltage?

Later
GW
Old 10-29-2003, 09:20 AM
rmh

I will charge and record Voltages using my Mk11.
Then I will hook up to a motor - thru my ASTRO WHATT meter and see what the voltage is under load,.
I typically run these brushed GWS motors at 8 amps -but can easily reprop to change load. too much??
Will that give enough info?
I have a 2 cell Kokam 1500 HD pack - and a couple of 1200 ma HD 7.4 balsa products paks (I run em in parallel) and a 3 cell Kokam 640 pack -which is not a high amp pack.
any other test I can provide ?
I am getting more packs soon but these are what I have on hand.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
GW-inactive

That would be good info. Thanks.

I guess I may purchase a MK2 to see if it will get an ETEC 3s1p pack to 12.6.

If it gets the 2 cell packs of yours up to 8.4. I think that would be a full 100 % charge. I think most of the chargers in the multi use charger line, have a low cutoff for Lipolys. The Triton I have heard cuts off at 12.1 (3cell) and around 8 for the 2 cells.
I dont have one, so I cannot verify that.

Keep us posted Dick.

Later

Old 10-29-2003, 04:40 PM
rmh

I wil do
Old 10-30-2003, 05:54 PM
rmh

The Mk 11 charges the 2 cell to 8.1 and the 3 cell to 12.2+
I posted this info on a new thread - I forgot where this one was --
Old 10-30-2003, 09:19 PM
GW-inactive

A bit conservative it looks like, but better safe than sorry. Liability would be terrible if they fully peaked them out, especially knowing the inherent safety issues of LiPolys. Thats about 96.8 % of full pack capacity. I would say thats a bargain charger with great results.

Thanks Dick!!

GW
Old 11-01-2003, 11:41 AM
rmh

I do have one teeny weeny question -for those who do get fully optomized charges with their Shultzinheimer Furschlurginer Maschinen Fabrik etc., type chargers:
When you hit the GO button on the plane - just how much difference does this last 3-4 tenths of a volt make - and how long before it is all gobbled up?
I hate to go from 50 bucks to 500 bucks for a two second power improved flight.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:43 PM
GW-inactive

Dick,
My opinion, which is a novice opinion at best.

I think for our use, its a small difference that will not be noticed.
I have not teasted any yet, but I would bet after the first minute of flight the extra .3 to .4 volts would be gone. Kind of like the top charge on Nicads I would think. I get 5.4 volts on my 1700 mah nicads on my receiver in the IC pattern plane at full charge . After a short flight the receiver battery is down at 5.1 or less. Then it levels out for extended flights after that.

Bottom line, I would think I would be needing the extra boost (maybe pylon racing or something) before I could justify the exta 2-300 for the superchargers. for my 3 etec 1200's the $50 MK2 looks like quite a bargain. But I am just flying the flat foam models.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:50 PM
rmh

My test rig -which is a thrust stand with readout in ounces -plus the Whattmeter -shows that the batterys drop the better part of a volt in a few seconds -then stabilize.
My little SPITBALL blue foam models , fly well on 2 cells -pulling about 50 watts avg and delivering about 13-14 ounces of thrust.
this on slightly advanced 350 GWS BB5.33 gears and 11x7 props (APC) and AUW of 11 ozs.

This week we go to a Himax 4100 KV motor-same gear setup same Kokam 1500 etc-
My test rig showed the HiMax with 4.33 (?) internal gearbox will do a little better than my best 350 on 2 cells
Just like building a fast car --the $$input is far greater than the %of power improvement -
I will be a happy camper if I can average about 17 ozs of thrust thru the flights.
Those with the MotorCalc may claim otherwise -but as far as I am concerned- "calculated power is about as good as a calculated taste of a hamburer --