Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

3DX finishing question

Old 12-03-2003, 12:57 PM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3DX finishing question

I was about to paint my 3DX (which is made of the Blue Core fan fold foam) and thankfully I tested my enamel spray paint on a scrap piece of foam and found that the paint eats it up like cancer. So, I was planning on using colored packing tape to finish it. My question is should I spray it first with some 3M spray (like I used on the Zagi) first or will the tape hold? It seems to stick pretty good on the Blue Core (with the skin).
Old 12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Demon

Default RE: 3DX finishing question

Try it first without the 3M77. Tape usually sticks pretty good to the skin of the foam.

Besides, if it peels off, you could always re-do it with a dusting of adhesive to make it stick better.

D
Old 12-05-2003, 11:59 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Krylon makes a spray paint called Fusion, for plastic. Re-coat after 60 seconds, dries in 15 minutes. Available from Hobby Lobby or Michael's Arts & Crafts. It works well if you don't spray it on too thick. If it puddles, it will eat the foam. I usually do one light coat to save weight.

Craig.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:26 AM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

What sort of penalty do I have with using the tape? I figure the tape can't be too much
weight given I have a better than 2/1 power to weight ratio with the HiMaxx 2015 4100 kv
with a GWS gearbox 6.6:1 and a GWS 12x6 slow flyer prop. I should get about 26.4 oz
of thrust and the AUW of the plane is 12-13 oz's (without the tape).

Anyone using this setup and taped their 3DX?
Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 AM
insaneclown

Well tape does pose a weight factor especially if you cover the entire plane. That stuff adds up. If you were powering with brushed setup I use very little to decorate. I know this from trial and error. It does add up so when you see these pretty planes all decorated up with tape they better hope they have sufficient power.
Later......
Old 02-16-2004, 11:57 PM
ZimboRaider

Cantebury sailplanes(www.flycs.com) here in New Zealand make a similair product and recomend taking it up with 3M77 and then putting tape on it.
Dunno if this helps
Old 02-29-2004, 10:29 AM
boogalloo

ORIGINAL: Demon

Try it first without the 3M77. Tape usually sticks pretty good to the skin of the foam.

Besides, if it peels off, you could always re-do it with a dusting of adhesive to make it stick better.

D

FYI: 3m77 eats away bluecor........
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Xlogic

You can't beat Magic Markers on Bluecore or Depron go to any Office supply shop and you can get a 10 pack in either wide tip or small tip and they work really well.

Mike
http://www.ncrcf.org
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18385.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	106586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51900.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	106587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32754.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	106588  
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
RCNutt-RCU

I went to our neighborhood Hobby Lobby the other day and picked up some Testor's spray paint in the car model section. It says on the can it is safe for styrofoam. I tried it on some blue fan fold both with the plastic film on and an area with the plastic film stripped off. No damage to either area! It is a little expensive at $2.68 for a 3 ounce spray can, but I will tell you the coverage is surprisingly good. One coat should do it. I bought a chrome color for another Blu Cor fan-fold Mustang I'm going to build. Try it, it works! RCNutt
Old 03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Where can I get depron locally?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
aeropete

mnrcaerobat, you can't buy just depron sheets in a local store. Some packaging companies will have depron sheets that they use for the packaging trays, lunch trays, ext. to sell. You can get depron from foam/sturdy boards at your local crafts store or something like staples or officemax. I think walmart has them too. The only problem is that you have to soak the boards overnight to peel the paper off, which is a real pain. It is much easier to just buy either depron online at depronusa or buy zepron a similiar product desinged for planes sold online for the U.S.