Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Pocket Combat Wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 02:13 AM
PaulVi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pocket Combat Wing

Hey that looks real good, How did you do the yellow markings?

I see how you mean on the motor wire. It will be easy to replace if needed. Some thing you could do it to cut the motor lead down and resolder and shrink tube the leads. But I bet it flys just fine the way it is.

Very forgiving.

Okey so now when your starts to looks like my first one we will have to have some all out combat at the school field HAHAHA...

Did I tell you I think I did in my e-mail to you. I put the 800 MHa lipo in the PCW and because it is so tail heavy with it it winds up being easyer to fly inverted (Almost) there was almost no wind tonight and I was able to fly a full lap on the field inverted only about 5 to 10 feet off the ground.

It was way cool...
Old 02-14-2004, 03:31 PM
flyingwings

Has anyone built the Bird of Prey from Edge. I have buillt and flown my own designs that are similar using a tractor OS 40. They have always been a pleasure to fly. Far more manoverable than any of my other flying wings. The Edge group appears to have done a great design judging from the video.

Attached is my latest FSW and my proposed Home Built FSW models.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55212.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	100893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20105.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	100894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96923.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	100895  
Old 02-15-2004, 01:40 AM
jodan

Hi PaulVi,
I used a yellow colored tape that I cut using this [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199520]technique[/link].
I have never had so much fun flying until I got this wing. It really is a blast to play with. You can forget all the ifs and fly it like a careless toddler -- real close to the ground is not a problem.. even if you hit the grass (or in some of my flights the concrete ground), no problem. Just re-toss it to the air. I am really glad you showed this plane to me.
Here's an "edited" version of my pcw in [link="http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/lst?.dir=/FlyingVideos&.view=l"]flight[/link]. I hope the link will work.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:40 AM
PaulVi

Well I finally wore out my first motor on the PCW. I think i have about 100 hours+ on the first motor. It just finally started to overheat and loose power each time I took it out to fly. Kinda had that ozone smell to it after a 20 minute flight.

No big deal at $10 bucks a pop.

I replaced it and all the zest and speed is back.

Onto the other Item Jordan The vid did not make it but I like the link to the decals Great Idea.

I was out today with the PCW I got to the point that I was slow and low 3 to 4 feet off the deck and flipped it inverted made a few laps and righted it It was way cool...[:-]

Now that I have my confidence I need to try this with the Flea...
Old 02-15-2004, 12:57 PM
jodan

Isn't that great! 10 bucks and your off to a fresh start.
I have yet to do those neat maneuvers w/ the pcw. Maybe I'll try it this afternoon. I'm gonna head to the school park this afternoon 2~5:00P.
I've fixed the link on the vid.. it will now send you to my shared net folder where the file is located.
Cheers!
Old 02-15-2004, 03:29 PM
PaulVi

Okey here ya go. I just got back from the school.. Try this one. Hold the PCW upside down and do an under handed launch (inverted) the run a lapo inverter a roll back to inverted and then an outside loop inverted and a double roll inverted and land back at your feet Inverted. HAHAHAHAH I took me about 8 toss's before I could get the plane to get the right speed and my brain to play right with my hands but the first time I pulled it off I was laphing so hard I crashed it right away.

I will show you next time we are out at the field, Maybe we can get that on tape.. I found if you move the CG back it fly's inverted great.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Irish Combat

I have a few questions please.I fly slope combat in Ireland so I like to keep my models as simple and inexpensive as possible. I had a combat wings xe2 speed 400.I bought the desired battery pack and used the standard motor that came with it.It flew really slow and the battery lasted about 4 minutes. This was a big dissapointment compared to the video clips of the wing on their site. My question is ,is this normal ie do the manufactures use a highly modified brushless wing and show a clip of it posing to be a standard model.

I say this as the pcw looks too good to be true. The video on the manufacturers site shows it doing fantastic speed and claims flights of 1 and a half hours.How is that possible.Even 30 minute flights how is that possible. Are they lying.
Did your models fly as fast as the clips on the website? Do they use modified motors or just the standard?
Tell me as simply as possible about those batteries.Am I correct in saying that they last longer flight times than nicads? Need a seperate charger? Are lighter than nicads?
If I was to get one would the speed controller from my xe2 work?
I really want to get one but am wary of the pretty picture that the websites can paint as apposed to the reality. I want a litle plane with an engine to throw into the air when there is no lift? Simple and uncomplicated.Is this the answer or not.
Any help would be appreciated
Seamus
Old 02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Irish Combat

I have a few questions please.I fly slope combat in Ireland so I like to keep my models as simple and inexpensive as possible. I had a combat wings xe2 speed 400.I bought the desired battery pack and used the standard motor that came with it.It flew really slow and the battery lasted about 4 minutes. This was a big dissapointment compared to the video clips of the wing on their site. My question is ,is this normal ie do the manufactures use a highly modified brushless wing and show a clip of it posing to be a standard model.

I say this as the pcw looks too good to be true. The video on the manufacturers site shows it doing fantastic speed and claims flights of 1 and a half hours.How is that possible.Even 30 minute flights how is that possible. Are they lying.
Did your models fly as fast as the clips on the website? Do they use modified motors or just the standard?
Tell me as simply as possible about those batteries.Am I correct in saying that they last longer flight times than nicads? Need a seperate charger? Are lighter than nicads?
If I was to get one would the speed controller from my xe2 work?
I really want to get one but am wary of the pretty picture that the websites can paint as apposed to the reality. I want a litle plane with an engine to throw into the air when there is no lift? Simple and uncomplicated.Is this the answer or not.
Any help would be appreciated
Seamus
Old 02-19-2004, 02:38 PM
soundman13

The PCW does fly like it does in the video.

I think the hour flight times area little unrealistic....however I have never actually run my battery right down - I think I flew for about 15-20 mins last time.

If you don't know about lithium polymer batteries - I suggest you go & do some reading.....you need to know about these BEFORE you start to use them.

In the PCW I would suggest using a 2x 1200 Etec pack (lithium polymer).

Yes the lithiums are a lot lighter than nicads & they have higher run times.....again read up on them.

The best source of lithium info is this thread - it should tell you enough to get you going, & to warn you of the scares/hazzards....do not ignore the warnings - but don't be paranoid about them either:
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152536]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152536[/link]

It's a lot of info - but you should take time to read all of it.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 PM
crewchief_432

I have the double motor combat wing, has any one tried putting a brushless on one I have a ha 2015-2800 I think would work good.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:12 PM
PaulVi

Default RE: RE: Pocket Combat Wing

Here are a few specs

I have a PCW that comes in at 5.6 oz's after a few repairs.

The 5.6 oz is with the NiMh 7 cell pack 370 mHa and I get Wide open throttle flights of about 10 minutes. If I manage my speed it will last about 14 minutes my best to date with this battery was 16 minutes and that was some real slow flying at the end. hard to keep in the air

The 7 cell pack comes in at 2 oz's

I also fly with a 1200 mHa LiPo pack and I get normal flights of wide open throttle of 30+ minutes and my best flight time to date was 57 minutes with speed variations. this pack only is 1.8 oz's

I also have some 800 Mha LiPo's that come in at 1.45 oz's and I also fly with those I can get a normal flight of 20 to 25 minutes with these and I have pushed it to 30 one time.

It flys heavy with the NiMh cells and is almost to tail heavy with the small lipo's but it flys well and controlable with all of the packs.

I use a 4 ch gws reciver 2 pico gws servos and a 2amp gws speed controller. My Transmiter does mixing so I save the wieght of a on board mixer that way.

I have flown this plane in winds around 20 mph and have had a ball ever time i fly it. I have launched it inverted and flown laps this way and landed inverted to complete the flight. This plane will do everything the video shows. I can fly this plane at half throttle and still do rolls with it.

http://viscovich.dhs.org/movie.wmv this is one of my inverted flights.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Buy the plane you wont be sorry. I have over 200 flights on this plane and all i have had to replace is the motor last week it just finnaly started to run to slow to fly with.

Another one you may want to look into is the SuperFlea Electric Twin at http://superflyrc.com it uses the same gear as the PCW but definatly flies diffrent both plane are very good buys
Old 02-20-2004, 12:02 PM
rcflyer2
My Feedback: (6)

You want to see a fast pocket wing check out Littlescreamers.com on the pics page is a 24" pocket wing that goes over 100MPH.
They are making small brushless motors just for the little wings. 20grams and 3x the thrust as the stock motor.
Will climb up and out of site in seconds.
rcflyer2
Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM
No Stick

ORIGINAL: rcflyer2

You want to see a fast pocket wing check out Littlescreamers.com on the pics page is a 24" pocket wing that goes over 100MPH.
rcflyer2
Ahh. So Littlescreamers.com is your web site What is the price, specs and availability? I didn't get much from your site about this.

Ed
Old 02-20-2004, 01:26 PM
rcflyer2

What I never said that?
I have seen them fly and they are everything you would ever want out of a little wing this size!
It will roll forever (uncountable to fast) and it will do anything you point it to do. Turns so fast it looks like it is trying to bit it's own tail!
rcflyer2
Old 02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
No Stick

I thought you were selling the outrunner brushless motor. Are you selling a pocket combat wing similar to the Edge RC Pocket Combat Wing also?

Ed
Old 02-20-2004, 05:58 PM
rcflyer2

I am manufacturing a small brushless motor, though I may as well have a plane too. thanks
rcflyer2
Old 02-20-2004, 06:07 PM
soundman13

I've been following the whole cdrom motor & 'lil screamer thing for a while now. To the extent that I'm making my own cdrom motor - I've also been talking to airmover about his motor & the windbuster (I have a windbuster on the way & I have a PCW already).

I'm looking at making cdrom motors for the above mentioned planes - can you give me more info on your motors......are they just reworked cdrom motors, do they have machined bells, what prop & amp draw are we looking at for the 2 above applications?....anymore info you could provide would be most welcome.....although I say I'm building my own - can you convince me to buy yours?....price?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 PM
PaulVi

I would love to see the discution on the motors but I would like to see this thread stay more on track about the PCW and the PCW Twin. There is much to say about this plane in its stock form. I belive there are a number of threads all littered with disccustions about home made cd rom motors. I seems to end the intent of the original posts. and the main topic of the thread.

What say ye!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:57 AM
mtucker

Regarding Irish Combats comments about his Combat Wings XE2 being very slow, I have been impressed with my XE2. For a stock motor, she really moves. I am also considering a brushless for her to get some more vertical ability. Take a look at the two videos at http://kahuna.sdsu.edu/~tucker/airplanes/ and see what you think. When I replaced the prop one time I put it on backwards and it flew very slow. I could hardly pull a loop.
Matt
Old 02-27-2004, 03:19 AM
PaulVi

Reversed props will kill you every time. I did that one day with the PCW she was a slug and I thought I killed another motor or battery I had a harsh landing that poped the prop off and after replacing the prop she was flying like her old self. (Root cause put my first prop on backwards)

Always look for the simple mistakes or at least what you did last...
Old 03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
PaulVi

went out yesterday and flew the PCW in near 25mph winds I was able to get near vertical performance out of it.

That is to say that it was flying flat and making about 1 inch of fowrd movment for every 10 feet of vertical climb. It was kinda a trip when it got down wind it was all about diving for the deck as close to me as I could get it and the climbing again loops were more like being blown over backwards but never the less it was fun..
Old 04-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Birdofprey

Hey guys,

The PCW is now in V2 form and we have eliminated the wood rib from the design in favor of a molded motor mount and landing skid. The result is a MUCH more durable plane. We have a crash video on the www.edgerc.com web site that has some serious abuse of a 100% stock PCW-V2 in it. The video can be found here: http://www.edgerc.com/video.htm
The PCW in the video is never repaired and is 100% flyable to this day.

I am ataching a photo of the new look of the PCW.

Thanks,

Justin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84002.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	123450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49536.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	123451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19310.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	123452  
Old 04-21-2004, 01:55 AM
PaulVi

I will be rebuilding my first PCW I have ordered the new parts and will hack my first plane to use the new cowls and skids.

Looks like you have a winner with this upgrade..

Keep up the good work..

Now we just need a matched brushless that we can aford to go with this little rocket..
Old 04-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Alex Shipp

i just ordered a pcw (should be here around monday) and have a few questions. Should i buy a new speed control for my wing (i have a gws ics100)? i have told my dad that people are using these small speed controllers with lipolys. he says that this is a bad idea and i need to get a programmable one. How do you keep from discharging your batteries too low? Will my 1500 Kokam 2s work or will it be too heavy or too big? could you use any other materials besides zagi tape or ultracote lite to cover it with? Has anyone took the prop off of this plane and slope soared it? It looks like it would be able to. Will a GWS r4n vertical pin receiver work? thanks for bearing all of these questions.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:00 PM
PaulVi

The easest first... The 1500 may work but it will most likly be to heavy. you want to try to build light and keep it aroung 5.5 oz I have one that is at 6 and it still flys but just will not slow down as well..

I us the GWS 2amp speed controller with no problems on both this and on my superflea electric and have never had to worry about drawing the battery to low. What will happen is it will loose power to the point it will not fly long before you discharge the cells to low.

Just about anything would work to cover it. as long as you keep the flying wieght to under 5.5oz's if you were to slope sore it it might work just fine with everything in place, it takes a lot to spin the prop and it does not cause that much drag that you would notice the diffrent on the slope.

I slope a fully loaded ZAGIX and just don't turn on the motor the extra wieght makes it penitrate very well. Now keep in ming I can not thermail it very well like that but.....

I have sloped the PCW on small hills (more like berms) and it has done okay and it was nice to have power when I got to low to bring it back into the lift.

I think you will like this kit just build light. I have stated the methods I have built with in this thread they fall under the catagory of IT WORKED FOR ME.. I have to say one more time build light you wont be sorry.

What are your dementions on the battery pack. I will measure it out on my plane over the battery mounting place and let you know how well it fits also what does your 1500 mack wiegh in Oz's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.