Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Pocket Combat Wing

Old 01-05-2004, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pocket Combat Wing

Just wondering if anybody has built of flown one of the pocket combat wings. from EdgeRC.

http://edgerc.com/pcw.htm

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:32 AM

Default RE: Pocket Combat Wing

I have built one of these and initially it is a handful. The CG is very critical as is the weight.
Limit the elevons to no more than 1/8" up /down travel
I used 2 cirrus 5.2 G servos, a KoKam 340 mah ;i-po battery and covered with so-lite
My flying weight is about 4.9 oz. You launch with a gentle level toss.
Once your PCW is trimmed you will really enjoy it.
Don't get frustrated because it takes a bit of trimming and weight adjustments.

Woodduck
Old 01-05-2004, 09:13 AM

I built a pocket combat twin which is also from Edge RC. I really do think the extra motor makes a huge difference in vertical performance. It is a BLAST. woodduck is right that this thing is a handful. But, I have put mine in the ground probably 15 times with no problem. It is tough. I'll do things with it 2 feet off the ground that I won't with my other planes 500 feet in the air. Great plane.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Agreed with everything above. Very difficult to fly if you don't detune your throws. Minute amount of trim adjustments make a big difference.

Not that it's not a cool plane! I fly mine with out detuned throws. It is the definition of twitchy. What you're rewarded with is rolls that are literally so fast, that by the time I've determine what side I'm looking at, I'm already looking at the other side. I get stupid alot with it & crash it repeatedly and nothing happens to it.

They're alot of fun.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:20 AM

So what I am getting here is dual rates and expo will be a good thing with this little beast..
Old 01-06-2004, 06:08 AM

Just get the CG as far forward as possible at least to begin with. That is essential. Also, I highly recommend the pocket combat twin. It's just a little more money for twice the power.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 PM

some freinds of mine managed to reverse engineer a PCW twin, and it flys like a dream. they have also made little gliders(same size) and those beat Zagis. they made their own A-10, superirior to the GWS one, same powerplants, was better. and tho top it all off, the hav their own DIY CNC foam cutter, that does hollow bits for intakes on their home made F-16. all they buy at the model shop is radio gear. all their planes or recent are foamies, and they've been buying big lumps of EPP(the automotive industry found our secrect!)
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 PM

Hey guys,

www.edgerc.com has a customer appreciation sale celebrating the first full year in business.

The PCW is on sale for only $29.95+S&H for a full kit.
This includes the Motor and props.
At that price, there is no need to reverse engineer the kits.

Take a look at the sale, and don't pass up the chance to get one of these amazing micro wing for almost nothing.

Thanks,

Justin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91900.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	89117  
Old 01-10-2004, 04:30 PM

Ok Now that I have my kit. A few questions. what would be the best glue to join the wing halfs and also to glue the spar in with. I assume that shoe Goo would work for the wing halfs and should I use like Pro Bond for the spar with a water mist to foam it up?

Will the shoe goo stick to the ply spar or would epoxy be a better yet heavier choice for the wing joint?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:25 PM

I used epoxy on all of mine and it has performed (and survived!) fine. I've put mine straight into the ground more times than I can count, and it's still alive and kicking.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:06 PM
RWP
My Feedback: (2)

Plumbers Goop will work fine for both.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:39 AM

Used Goop for the wing halves and PU with water for the spar (filled the grove nice) I have noticed when I trial fit the motor that it seems to be angled to the right that is to say with the motor placed in the mount. The front of the motor is on the center line over the rib but the back of the motor aligns to the right side of the rib. Is this normal or should I assume that the cutout for the motor is off center and mount it with a 0 degree thrust line like I am holding it in the 2nd pic..

Seems that there needs to be a few close up pictures of the assemblies so that you have refrence and do not need to guess.

Any help would be great.

Name:	Pn36117.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	89507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14877.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	89508  
Old 01-11-2004, 08:17 AM

Again, I have a twin, but I mounted my motors with 0 degrees of thrust angle. You're not going to be hovering this thing anyway, so I don't think you really need must right thrust.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:58 AM

How about from some one with a PCW Single motor version. I am stoping construction untill I get a soilid awnser. I have also Mailed Justin but he Seems to not be responding to mail right now.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:39 AM

E-Mail From Justin

Should be 0 degrees and to just recenter and resand the saddle.

Cool... Thanks Justin
Old 01-17-2004, 10:38 AM

My PCW arrived yesterday.

Had it built by lunchtime today & maidened it this afternoon. Had a blast with it - it's till not completely dialled in yet - but close.

The large wing is my 40" Unicorn.

Name:	Ca82369.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	91395  
Old 01-18-2004, 03:19 AM

I took mine out today for the first time what a trip. this little bird flew strait up the first time out no trim adjustments needed. AUW is 5.4 oz with a 1200 mAh Lipo and was able to fly at half trottle no problems. I wound up with a 30+ minute first flight with winds at 5-7 MPH. Can home charged the pack and took it out about 3 hours later with the winds 10-14 MPH and it was a bit more to handle but was still what I call flyable.

This plane is not as bad to fly as I expected. I will be going back out in the morning. Hope the wind is nill.

Thanks for a fun plane.

Name:	Lj23475.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	91674  
Old 01-18-2004, 08:21 AM

Has anyone tried adding another motor to the standard pocket combat wing? I have the twin (which is slightly larger and has two wooden ribs for the two motors), but I bet you could put a second motor on the standard wing with some work. Of course that would increase the wing loading a bit, but it would be fast.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:25 PM

you could probly do it but the balencing would be a pain. the PCW is hard to balance as it is you can see from the phote a few posts back that the battry is fully foward.

I wonder if a push pull would work for a twin. on in front and one in back counter rotate the props Hummm..
Old 01-18-2004, 06:44 PM

Yeah, balancing would probably be an issue. My twin was a bear to balance as well. I have the battery all the way forward and it's still a little tail-heavy.

I doubt a push-pull setup would work very well. It seems like it would cause the second prop to cavitate or at least not grab very much air.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:11 PM

Most likely although there are a few full sized planes like the cesna from bat 21. The PCW is fast. Almost too fast if your not thinking at the moment. so I think built the way it was designed is good for most of the people out there. Of course there are allways speed freaks like me.. But I like the way it flys. I had it out again today morning no wind and afternoon 10+ winds. it is a blast to fly. The higher winds means you will chrase it more. (Doing more things closer in) but it is fun.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Hey!, I put my 7 cell nimh packs in the plane (opened the baterry compartment a bit) and it seems to fly well with those as well. It only added .2 oz to the total weight and seems to have put the balance a little farther foward , Not a bad thing. I get a 8 minute WOT run and a 10 minute half throttle run with 370 aaa nimh cells..

I am Happy.

I have noticed that after dorking it into the ground as many times as I have when it ejects the battery it tends to tear the leading edge. I plan on putting a thin layer of shoe goop in the front of the battery tray to see if this will help.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Yeah, mine did the same thing. Shoe Goo works well because it's stays flexible. It's hard to complain after what I've put mine through, hehe. A small tear in the EPP at the front is a small price to pay for the abuse it has endured.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:01 PM

With an AUW of under 6oz there is not much enertia built up. and if your lucky enough to be on the bottom of a loop when you smack the ground....

Ya they are light and that really helps along with the EPP construction.. I just used packing tap to cover mine so repairs are simple. a bit of goo a new piece of tape and TaDa all is well..

Like I said this plane is plenty fast and slows down real nice I would have never tought it was as easy to fly But you can not take your eyes off of it for a sec.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:10 AM

Hi Paul,
Here's my pcw. It is indeed a great plane. Wouldn't have been possible to build it like this w/o your constant guidance.
Thanks!

Name:	By76262.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	100352  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.