Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

New Life into a very old Zagi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
zagibond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Life into a very old Zagi

My Zagi 400X foam was in really bad shape. Instead of getting new cores, I cut out the old foam and replaced it with a 2mm coroplast box section. The box houses the battery, ESC and RX. The bottom of the box is glued and taped onto the bottom of the fuselage. The lid is almost flush with the top of the fuselage. No more destoyed canopies and trays. Much better aerodynamics.

The motor is secured on a piece of coroplast with the rear jacked up with two pieces of mixing sticks. The thrust angle is perfect and the prop get more clean air, as does the motor.

She flies great and servived two very ugly crashes on the first day out. Either would have destoyed the standard canopy and tray. It may be because of the thrust angle or maybe something else but it flies inverted (a first for me) very well) I was trying an outside roll and got confused (Crash number1)

If anyone is interested, I will post some pictures.

It weighs 24 ounces.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Vallier Racing

Default RE: New Life into a very old Zagi

could you post some pictures
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 AM
PaulVi

Please do we always want to sea other acomplisments and ideas.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:58 AM
SlyPilot

Found this off of another website:
http://users2.ev1.net/~nbad/zagi_coro_tray.htm

I intend to use coroplast to cheat some weight forward so that I can use Lipo batteries this summer.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM
zagibond

Hurtstosit,

I have seen that design and tried it on an older Zagi.
My tray actually sits all the way flush with the lower edge of the wing, so it is quite a bit lower.
I cut out the polystyrene right up to the back of the LE foam. With my CG at 8 inches, I have about one inch that I can move my battery forward. The motor can probably move forward about half an inch. The gains from light weight of Lipos is usually undone on Zagis due to the CG issue. I would hope that with this setup, two 2100 3 cells might balance OK.

PaulVi

Get a life!