Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

1/2 foam for 3DX Foamy Factory?

Old 01-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 foam for 3DX Foamy Factory?

Hi,

I'm just finishing up a Foamy Factory 3DX. Since it has been cold and snowy for the last couple of weeks, I'm not in a hurry.

I could only get 1/2 inch pink foam to build this model

My first thought is to cut the foam 1/2 the thickness to 1/4 inch with the hot wire. But since I'm going to be putting on a MPJET 25/35-20, I could probably stick with the 1/2 inch since weight will not be a concern.

However, the wings, horizontal stab, and control surfaces (ailerons and elevator) may be too thick to work properly.

Has anyone tried cuting semi or symmetrical wings and horizontal stab for the 3DX?

Also, will if fly OK if I left everything at 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne Miller
Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Default RE: 1/2 foam for 3DX Foamy Factory?

www.depronusa.com
Old 01-21-2004, 04:43 PM
aeropete

i am making a plane out of 3/4 inch pink foam as you can see in the post, my first self made plane, and as soon as my propellers get shipped to me I will check out if the plane will fly. What I am going to be doing if it doesn't fly that way is to just sand it down the wings to an airfoil. I will tell if my plane would fly, which I really doubt.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 PM
tunnelvishon

Having an airfoil will dramatically change the flying characteristics of these planes. Just rounding the leading edges will speed them up and thinning down the TE has proven for many to give trouble. These are basically flying plates and use the angle of the wing for lift and motor thrust. If 3D is your game the increased drag works to your advantage. The incidence angles my need to be reworked a bit if going to an airfoil....if you notice the wing, horz stab and engine are all aligned with or parallell each other. I do remember reading a thread from the foamyfactory links of a person that has experimented with this and also a built up balsa wing for 3DX and you may have luck searching there.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Tunnelvision,

Thanks for the information. I'll leave the wing alone.

I'll be travelling to Oakville for the swap meet Feb. 1, do you know if I'll be able to pick up some carbon fiber tubes in that area? Currently I'm using 1/8 hardwood dowel.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Wayne MIller
Old 01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
tunnelvishon

Ive been out of the area for a while (haven't upgraded my profile here yet) so I don't know what is offered there. Carbon fibre rods are best found in kite shops or internet suppliers of kite parts. I use CF arrow shafts for the fusalage because they are stiffer and ligther than the smaller rods. They are however larger in dia. so are unsuitable for wings. Archery suppliers are a good source for arrows and i found one here in the states that gives me some for free. Sometimes they splinter on the ends when they cut them and they normally throw them away.
Pink foam, by the way, should be your last choice for material with blue corr (fan fold) being better and depron(in my opinion) the best.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Try www.intothewind.com You will find all kinds of carbon and fiberglass rods and tubes. jerry
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

Just an update of what I've found so far. My goal was to try and build a Foamy Factory 3DX from parts that are available easily through local suppliers. Such as the 1/2 inch pink insulation, I've also found a local substitute for the Carbon Fiber tubes.

I've done this and test flew the 3DX today.

I had a problem finding Bluecor Fanfold, Depron and carbon fiber tubes in the town I live in. Note: In most cases, these things could be ordered in, but would cost more or involve shipping through customs. The exercise was to try and build using supplies from the local stores.

I'm in Canada and the first challenge was the foam, the only thing I could get easily was the pink 1/2 inch insulation from Home Depot and Building box, neither place could order in the depron or fanfold.

Therefore I bought a 2x4 ft sheet of pink foam board insulation to see what I could do. First I cut out the wing and fuselage profile.

I left the front part of the fuselage at 1/2" all the way back to the back part of the canopy - this gave me a lot of strength and made mounting the motor very easy. While the rudder was still on the fuselage, I tappered the back half of the fuselage down to 1/4" width at the end of the rudder.

I used a wallboard sanding screen and a palm sander. It cuts fairly quickly and is easy to control. I marked the top and bottom of the fuselage with the taper outline.

I then split the wing down to 1/4" using a hot wire. I did this by using a .025 in. piano wire, strung between two bolts mounted 1/4 inch above a board. I hooked a 12 volt 7 amp PC power supply to the ends of the wire and fed the foam slowly through, it takes practice to keep the feed slowly enough to keep an even cut. I understand you could use your 12 volt battery to supply the current to the hot wire - there are lots of threads and web sites explaining how to do this. My cut was a little wavy, but the palm sander smoothed it out easily.

I then purchased a large golf umbrella from Wall-Mart ($15.96 or $12.96 depending upon length). These use two sizes of fiberglass rods (the rods are 3.9mm / .155 in thick) to support the umbrella when it is up. By removing the wrapped wire going through the hinge point, a rivet, and by cutting the cloth thread that holds them to "roof" of the umbrella, the rods are removed from the umbrella.

The shorter rods will have two ends, and the longer rods have two ends and a pivot point in the middle where the rods are connected. To remove the ends and center point, take your wire cutting pliers and "nip" the sides of the ends, and side of the center point rod, until the rod is exposed, then peal off the ends and center point.

What you then have is eight long, and eight short, fiberglass rods that will substitute for carbon fiber tubes. These rods are just about as strong as the carbon fiber tubes and almost the same weight.

Use these fiberglass rods in the same way as the carbon fiber tubes when building the 3DX.

If you are building with 1/2 inch pink insulation and you tapered the back half of the fuselage, make sure you cut the rod channel deep enough so the rod is in a straight line to the motor. Don't force a bend in the rod and glue it. If you do, it will cause the fuselage to stress and eventually curve.

I hope this helps some people who are having problems getting parts to build a 3DX.

I hope you find this post useful.

Good luck with your flying!

Wayne Miller
Old 02-09-2004, 04:27 AM
arx_n_sparx

Hi Wayne/all:

This is my first post in RCUniverse. I'm not new to RC, but I am to foam. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 15 year lay off, and the leaps and bounds of technology are amazing!

I'm between Wayne and tunnelvishon in Burlington. I have 3 bundles of Dow BlueCor that I picked up in Detroit about a month ago, and I'm willing to part with them for $50 Cdn each. I also have a few sheets of 24" x 36" x 3mm EPP at $5 per (cdn). If you guys are interested, email me.

As far as cheap fiberglass rods (I like your thinking, Wayne - I'd never even considered umbrellas), there's an Ikea store just up the road for me. I picked up a couple of their golf sized umbrellas a couple years ago for ~$4 each, I think. Cheaper than Wallyworld. Also try the sporting goods stores for arrowshafts - I got some of those in Hamilton a while back.

Good luck with that 3DX!

Brad
Old 02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Brad,

Welcome to RC Universe, I think you'll find the posts and the information that is available very interesting.

I've sent you a separate email regarding the foam.

As for the thinking on the Carbon Fiber substitute with the umbrella fiberglass rods, my goal is to find local acceptable components to build the "foamies". I keep thinking there must be some local substitute for the foam as well. I've looked at Coroplast, but it seems too heavy.

Perhaps the gravity fed hot wire may do the trick when using pink foam, you can explain how this works when we talk.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 02-09-2004, 07:50 PM
arx_n_sparx

Oops - scratch the Ikea umbrella guys. I checked today, and it uses cheap stamped metal ribs. Of course, I can still use it to keep the sun off of me when I fly (Don't fly over the umbrella...DON'T FLY OVER THE UMBRELLA...OH NUTS.....)

Brad