Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fan fold

Old 01-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan fold

Where can i get blue fan fold foam in the UK
Old 02-08-2004, 08:31 PM
n5704a

Default RE: Fan fold

Hi FS70:

I have seen a great deal of where can I type questions from all over, the popular foam over here is Blue Core by Dow Chemical-- you can look them up in your phonebook.
Please don't take this as condesending but the material is used as an underlayment for vinyl siding. They may not have Dow but someone probably makes a similar product, the one I used was green and had a foil face on one side.

Hope it helps, check w/siding vendors.

N5704A
Old 02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

Most people prefer Depron over the fan fold, however it is more difficult to get in some places in North America. Therefore, fan fold is used in its place.

Depron faom is made and mostly used in the UK building industry and you should be able to get it with no problem - perhaps by contacting your local DIY or searching on the web. It comes in 3mm and 6mm thickness. I think you'll find Depron to be a direct substitute, if not better, for your building projects.

If you need carbon fiber substitute, you can use the fiberglass support rods that are in golf umbrellas, you'll have to "nip" off the ends and pivot point with wire cutters.

There are other posts talking about using 1/2 inch pink foam insulation to replace fan fold and Depron - you may want to search for it as well.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 02-09-2004, 12:41 AM
mjblack

hi flying scotsman,

We are in th uk, and use depron, in huge quanteties, you will find that fan fold is more of a US product, the earlier chap was right its called DOW Blue core and can be bought from sheffield insulations, the problem with blue cor is thats its very heavy by comparison.

If you want any depron, which is lighter, almost as strong adn equaly shapeble please do not hesitat to contact me, as i have been down the road you are now going, and leant the hard(expensive) way.

A large percentage of our kits are made from depron and its wonderfull stuff, please give me a shout,

best regards,

Mike.

www.rcelectricflight.com

[email protected]
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 AM
ricktkenny

Depron 3mm sheets

[email protected]
Old 02-11-2004, 02:08 AM
mjblack

cool, didnt know they sold depron , excellent, wish i know that a few months ago, we can now get 2mm,3mm,5mm and 6mm white, 3mm and 6mm black adn keep a large stock because of the kits.

THanx ricktkenny, will see if we can het it cheaper.

Best regards.

Mike