Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Substitute for hot wire cutter

Old 02-07-2004, 05:28 PM
aeropete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Substitute for hot wire cutter

I was thinking about using fishing line to cut the foam. As you might know, fishing line can cut through someone's finger if tightened enough, which makes it very sharp. Has anyone ever tried it or has any ideas of designs for it and tightening the line?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:31 PM
BREEZY69

Default RE: Substitute for hot wire cutter

use piano line
Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Wingman33

A hot wire actualy melts the foam to cut it not sure fishing wire would work but let us know.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 AM
arx_n_sparx

A lot of guys use SS fishing leader for their hot wire cutters. You'll need a bow for line anyways, so the only thing you're missing is the power supply. Do a google search on "foam cutting power supplies". There are lots of different ones out there, and they are relatively cheap and easy to make. Other than that, maybe if you tried one of those string saws that campers/canoeists bring along?

Brad
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 PM
aeropete

I know that hot wire is a whole different thing than fishing line that's why i was wondering if anyone tried just so i wouldn't try it for nothing. I will go get some fishing line soon, i guess the thinnest one and try it out. I will tell the results.