Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

GWS P51 Mustang EPS300C

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 10:52 PM
tdrnmartin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS P51 Mustang EPS300C

Can anyone clear up what the drive systems is that ships with the GWS P-51 Mustang? The box says 350 and the instruction manual says 300.

I've tried the 7 cell, 630 mAh, NiMh pack with the stock 10X8 prop and I was unimpressed. The plane could barley get out of it's own way. I modified a 10-cell wattage HE, 2/3A, 1100 NiMh pack to 8 cells and that seemed to help, but the performance was still a little bland. I switched the prop to a 9X7 and things have improved, but I still can't do a loop from level flight. I have to climb and then dive to pick up the speed I need.

Current configuration is:

9X7 GWS prop
Jeti 110 controller
Hitec 555 and 3 HS-55s
Stock motor and gear box
The gear is stamped with C and 4X46, so I'm assuming that I have the 300C or 350C with 5.33 gear ratio.

Can anyone clear up the 300/350 issue? I'm wondering if I do have the 300C, should I look at changing it out to a 350C? I'm not spending the bucks on a brushless system.

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2004, 01:03 AM
crashingagain

Default RE: GWS P51 Mustang EPS300C

If the box says 350 then thats most likely what you have, the instructions are out of date, you can make sure by looking at the motor can, the 300 has 4 or 5 numbers on it and the 350 has 7 or 8. If you do already have the 350 then you can get the best power on the c gear with the 9x7 and 7 cell nicd or 8 cell nimh, but 9.6v shortens motor life. My zero had a 350 , c gear, 2 hs55s, ics 100, gws pico receiver, and 7 cell 350nicds and looped fine. You have to keep your weight down on these gws birds. That micro 555 weighs alot more than a gws pico and if you have to have dual conversion then switch out for electron 6(much lighter).
Old 02-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I had a GWS P51D and at first I found it to be just marginal as far as power goes. Mine came with a 300C with C gearing and 950mah 8.4v battery(Aerobird upgrade battery).

I also ordered a Formosa which had a 350C. I installed the 350C, used the 9X6 prop that came with the kit and added an extra cell to the 8.4 V pack bringing it up to 9.6 V. The plane was heavy but flew quite well, the controls are sensitive and I had to stick to the suggested throws in the manual. The motor does not last long in these planes (more cells, less motor life).

My tests for thrust are very basic, I just point the nose up, give full throttle and expect the plane to "almost" lift itself. If you want a better. more professional motor/battery/thrust/prop analysis, you may want to go to the motocalc site and download their program. Its free for 30 days.

I eventually went brushless and have never regretted it.

You may want to do a search in RC Universe for the P51D, there is lots of information and suggestions to improve flight. Especially on retiming the 300C and 350C motor for more power.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Miller
Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 PM
tdrnmartin
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys!

I just finished a rebuild after a bad crash and I had a GWS 300C with the B gear lying around. I substituted that setup with a 9X7 and it didn't fly too badly. I was just doing a quick test flight to see if the plane was too heavy or not, so I didn't attempt any thing too wild or fly too long.

As far as the markings on the motors, the original was a 6 and the new 300c is a 4. I just purchased a new p-51, as the one I'm flying now is about 30% epoxy and I'm not sure how many more rebuilds I'll be able to do and still be able to fly. It's starting to get heavy. The new motor has a 7 on it.

I don't plan on going brush-less any time soon. I want a cheap setup that I can grab and get a quick flight in between trips to the field with my super stick. If I have to suffer less performance for being cheap, then that's what I'll do.

Todd