Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?

Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 AM
///samson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?

Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering? Is the surface of the foam smooth enough and somewhat resistant to heat?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 AM
woodduck-RCU

Default RE: Can EPP foam be covered with heat-shrink covering?

Yes ! I have covered several epp foam wings with a low temp covering and a couple with Ultracote.
You need to have a good covering iron with good temperature control, I use a Black Baron that has a control with degrees marked.
First I use a spare block of styro foam to clean the surface of the wing of any loose strings.
Next I cover the wing with a coat of 3M 77 adhesive spray.
I cut out the approximate sizes of covering, I smooth out the covering over the surface and trim to fit with a 1/4" overlap.
Lastly I set my covering iron to 175 degrees and smooth out and seal the laps.
If the covering becomes discolored your iron is too hot. Try on a spare piece of foam.
After a while the covering may become loose, simply reseal with the iron.

Good Luck

Woodduck
Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

I know someone who heat shrinked their Zagi XT with ultracote and messed up their wing. The all EPP foam bended causing the wing to warp. I'd say stick with the tape, its still very light and looks just as nice.

-Steve
Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 AM
woodduck-RCU

Just because one person had a problem doesn't mean it can't be done!!!
The wing will warp if the iron is too hot, but if you keep the iron between 175 and 150 there should be no warpage.
The first wing I did warped a little but that was with a iron that got too hot.
The low temperature is not melting the glue on the covering, it is heating the 3M 77 adhesive and smoothing out wrinkles. The 3M 77 is what is doing the holding!!
Or don't even turn on the iron , just use it to smooth the covering. You will use the 3M whether you use tape or Ultracote.

Try this link for the correct iron http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB357&P=7
Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
rms59

woodduck...
Your correct.....I've never had a problem with the method you described.
Rule.....always test on a scrap piece first....
Dick
Old 04-19-2004, 06:10 AM
mumtaz

there are two major kinds of foam both called by hobbyists EPP. One is Expanded Polystyrene and the other elapor (Multiplex)

EPS can be covered as outlined by others with a low temperature covering like standard Solarfilm ( the name in europe)

Elapor can stand higher temperatures but the downside is ot has a film surface which can allow the covering to detach. Wet and dry sanding wet then a thorough cleaning with aurgical alcohol (96% with 4 % water and no greases) does clean the surface for covering.

be careful as i crashed an airplane due to the wing covering coming off due to sloppy methods of cleaning (soay water)
Old 04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

I'd still say use tape.... I made the same design on my zagi with tape rather than before I had used ekoncote. Tape doesn't rip as easily, its just as light in weight, and yeah did I mention its stronger...(wont come off if used with a glue mixture 3fm works fine.)

-steve
Old 04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
PaulVi

I have covered a few Poket Combat wings with Ultracoat.

Prep was as follows

Use light weight spackle to smooth things out (the kind that a pint container feels like nothing is in it) (OSH)

Then go over that with weldwood contact cement. squegie it on so it is a thin as can be.

Cut covering to normal overlap dimentions and iron on as directed for any solid surface (lower temps)

Warps can be removed with a heat gun just like on a built up wing.

The finnish looks 10 times better than tape and due to the smooth surface and covering glue fusing with the contact cement you do not get delamination of the skin.

This method when done right may have added .2oz to the final build of the plane over the tape method

While covering repairs have to be done at home you can still use tape at the field and do a final fix when you get home.

Never discount another method but difine what you like and find the best way to apply it.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:48 PM
3dandpatternflyer

my dad covered his Zagi with Econocote. Look Great! This is some really low temp, and ver LIGHT. i recommend this more than Ultracote.[8D]
Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM
mnewman

Hobby Lobby sells Solite which is a great, low temperature, covering I've had excellent results with. The best advice is test on scrap first and keep the iron under 175. I use Solite on Fanfold from Lowes and also carved EPP (the thicker blue foam insulation panels). The difficulty is over complex curves where the temptation to use a heat gun to tighten the covering leads to bubbles and burns. One method I've had some success with (but try it first on scrap) is to set the oven to bake at 150-175 and after the covering is completely on the plane - hold it in the oven for a few seconds to tighten everything up. Dont leave it in there and dont set it down in there. Use an oven mit and hold the part only for a few seconds at a time. The heat is even and everywhere at the same time so it doesnt end up pulling in one direction or over tightening one spot and it doesn't get a chance to penetrate the part and really only effects the surface so it workes quite well.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
nickv77

Hey I got an epp moth and am planning on heat shrinking it, i have two questions...
firstly how do people do strips/patterns with heat shrink?
and secondly can you use a heat gun rather than hobby iron, or would a normal iron be ok to use?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM
kimsmith

We use http://www.fluorotherm.com for all our heat exchanger needs. They have exceeded our expectations over and over again. The quality of their heat shrink tubing has pleasantly surprised everyone here. We always look forward to doing business with Fluorotherm.