Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Anybody Fly Accipiter Badius? Video/questions/setup/parts/mods

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)
View Poll Results: A poll
whould you buy it again?
100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Anybody Fly Accipiter Badius? Video/questions/setup/parts/mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:16 AM
NCQ3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Fly Accipiter Badius? Video/questions/setup/parts/mods

[color=#0033FF][size=4] Does anyone have videos of "your'" plane (Accipiter Badius Slope Diver Shunda shun Post any picks and modifications / experiance with this plane? ......................(please post them! !!!) and is the bent wing version better than the strait wing?.............. Ive seen these cheap planes and ordered a couple w parts on ebay .................................................. ..... Please post all new info for NEW Badius owners..................................../
"............................................ share your mods and any questions.............
Old 04-03-2004, 09:08 PM
badius

Default RE: Accipiter Badius Photos / video, review bent wing versus strait minCam Great RTF Begginer? or Fake?

I have a Badius I just built but mine is a touch tail heavy weighs in at 18.4 oz. haven't flown it yet
Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 PM
NCQ3

Default RE: Accipiter Badius Photos / video, review bent wing versus strait minCam Great RTF Begginer? or Fake?

Let me know how you do. keep us posted
Old 04-04-2004, 12:01 PM
badius

as soon as the weather gets better and I can git flying I will let you know
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 PM
NCQ3

ORIGINAL: deathspiral

I have one. (had one) First, if you have the flat, white wing, chuck it. Get the poly wing. The white wing works, okay, if it's not warped, but without Aileron, there's not enough D to keep it stable. It will pitch up under throttle, so dial in some down trim, for control throws, there's plenty for the badius, if you're flying in calm wind. You can use the inside hole on the control horns, for more action, but those foam control surfaces, don't do much. I flew it for a month, then tossed it, after taking out all the electronics, and built a steelheadproducts.com, slope panther, which I paid $20.00 for the kit. Flies great!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:58 PM
NCQ3

[Here is some old postings I saw that might help accipter badius newbies[size=4

] just took my Badius out- I wrapped the battery in electrical tape. The first flight went into the woods cause I forgot to put up the antenna. The other flights crashed and I got about 2 good landings. One wing was damaged and I wrapped it up in packing tape and surprisinly it still flew. Dont do loops unless your high in the air- belive me, I tried one at 20ft and burried the nose 2in. into the ground. Id say while turing to give it some altitude and keep it far from the ground until you get some expirience- and do not fly in the wind until you get some expeirience.

BUY LOTS OF REPLACEMENT MAIN WINGS - THEY GO EASY WHEN YOU CRASH AND BURN- THE PLANE HAS A TENDENCY TO LAND ON THE WINGS!!!!

If you put packing tape along the front and back edges of the wings they become a LOT stronger.
]Battery Alternatives: GIDAEON: -

[color=#3300FF]I have about 8 lithium-polymers. If i time the AB right, i can get 15 minutes or more of flight time (using little throttle and lots of sailing) -With the lithium-polymers i will expect 20-30 minutes flight time and it makes the entire plane MUCH LIGHTER! - I will let you know what i find out. I paid 3 per cell (making 2 cell packs at 7.2 v - the weight loss will make up for voltage drop)
-
cheapest place I've found for spare parts is from www.raidentech.com. They've got all the parts you'd need, particularly the main wing which goes for $7.00.

What I've done to help with control (this was advice given to me by another flyer) is to bend the control rods around the tail so that the action from the servos is straight back. I'll update with some pictures.

Next was to take some thick cardboard (I actually got it from the backing of a legal sized notepad) and tape it to the underside of the wing. Once it's in there you have to force it a bit to get the plastic wing brace on, but it really helps with the problem of the wings bending during flight.

The suggestion about putting the foam block into the fuselage is a great idea. I have the same problem with mine, and have been trying to come up with a good solution.

The plane isn't exactly a proffessional so I didn't expect much when I bought it...BUT...I have found that it is extremely repairable. I can fly it pretty well after having broken wings in half and taping them together agian. Slamming into trees at high speed...etc...etc. Check back for some pictures when I get the chance. [/size]
Old 04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
NCQ3

here is more old Posting on Accipiter Badius slope diver. The slope diver is a cheap plane, but it's great for learning to fly because it's truly DURABLE and has cheap and easily replaced parts. I've really been enjoying having an airplane that can be used again after a wreck.
My first assembly step was to attach the tail section to the fuselage. I noticed the horizontal stab was not straight during this process. The precise way I did this was to set the fuselage with tail section attached (but not screwed down yet) down on a level table, and walk 5 steps back.... look at the airplane straight-on.... with my eye on the plane of the prop shaft. I noticed by eye that the horizontal tail plane was not level. In order to rectify this, I removed the tailplane assembly, and placed small strips of masking tape ( about 1/4 inch by 3 inches) on the fuselage under where the low half of the stab will seat.... In effect, shimming up the low side. After some trial and error ( about 8 strips of tape ), it sat horizontal. I then screwed it in place confident in its position.

Second major step was wing-warping for straightness. I did this similarly... by setting the wing on the fuselage, which in turn was sitting on a level table. Walk 5 steps back, and use one eye only.... putting your eye on the prop shaft axis. It is easy to see the wing had some wash-out ( twist ) in it.... as a product of manufacture or shipping, or act of God. I removed the wing, and gently twisted it in the opposite direction of the warp... this took about 20 minutes of trial and error. ( the instruction sheet covers this with an illustration ) [/size]

Third step was to check the C.G. (center of gravity). Although not specified in the Badius instructions, my experience is that CG should be about 1/3 distance from wing leading edge to wing trailing edge. It is a good starting point anyway. Although I am not an aerodynamicist, I know planes are straighter and more stable with CG forward, but they dive and have a lousy glide ratio. Conversely, if the CG is too far back, they are squirrely, less stable, but slightly more aerobatic. The precise setting is kind of a personal preferance.

Step 4 is to make sure that your elevator and rudder pushrods are attached and adjusted correctly. Put slight bends in them after they exit empennage to squarely and perpendicularly connect to control horns. ( Use farthest out horn notch hole for beginners.... less throw on the control surfaces). Most important, is to make sure that the elevator and rudder are perfectly straight when radio is on, and transmitter trims are in neutral (center) position.

Beginner advice.. Takeoff... keep full throttle... go into wind... gentle climb, ( If plane is trimmed well, you should not need up/down control for learning to get it up... it will gently climb by virtue of full power). Cut power to 50% when you are up about 75 feet. Don't over-control... gentle turns, all the while keeping most of your flying mainly on the upwind.

The truth be known, all of these factory designed ARF-S can be made to fly by somebody with a little stick time. I think my experience in building, measuring, weighing, squaring up, and balancing helped a lot. My reason for trying the Badius is it appeared in descriptions and photos to have a good size wing area, and high aspect ( longer wing span, shorter with chord) ratio which usually translates to slow flying, easy to control, and thermalling capacity.

My only complaint is that my Badius came with the polyhedral wing versus the straighter wing. I suspect the straighter wing will be stronger ( I don't fully trust the little plastic reinforcements atop the wing at the poly bends) I think I will order a spare wing (straight version) and spare battery this week. I also have a mod I may try..... tape the underside of the wing to yield a flat bottom airfoil. You know, undercambered wings have lots of lift, but at the disadvantage of corollary drag. A flat bottom wing should theoretically yield faster flight, and improved wind penetration. [/size] [/color][/size][/size]
Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 PM
SNoWJackal

Well I my Accepter in the mail yesterday and and could not wait to get up in the air. I plugged in the batter to get the charging started. And began to but the plane together, it took me lest then 20 min to put together. I spent the rest of the time playing with the wireless I also ordered. After about 2 hours I noticed the battery pack starting to get hot so I unplugged it and decided it was fully charged. Placed the battery pack in the plane and headed out side for my first flight ever. My first throw was not in to the wind as is clearly says in the manual. There was no damage so I picked it back up and tossed it back up in the air. This time it swaggered back and forth a little bit and the leveled out. It was up and I was happy, everything was going fine for about 3 min there was a lot of wind and I was having a really hard time but I did not care I just wanted to fly. Well all of a sudden when I was flying in to the wind, which was blowing about 8 mph. At about 50 feet off the ground, there was a large gust of wind and the plane just nosed up flipped over and dove to the ground. It hit the ground at full speed and broke off the right wing. I picked up the pieces and headed home somewhat disappointed but excited with the flight I did manage to get in. This crash was in now way a fault of the plane it was my fault for flying it in to much wind. I brought it inside and got out the strapping tape. Taped the wing back together and ran some tape down the front and backside of the wings. The prop was also striped out so I replaced that too, all these repairs took less then 15 mins and almost no real skill. So with all the repairs made I decided it would be best to wait tell the next day and see if the wind was any less before I attempted to fly it again. So today after getting home from a 12-hour workday I decided to take it out despite a 6-8 mph wind. After my first 3 attempts to launch ended in crashes I notice the controller was not zeroed properly. So after a few more adjustments I was able to launch it with mo problems. I kept it airborne for about 6-7 mins with out crashing even with the wind this time. I had a blast, the wind was still really affecting the plane but I was able to compensate ok this time. The landing was about a 7 but not bad for a first time. I have attached a pic of my plane with the taped wings, I have had some ok success with the wireless cam on my r/c car but have yet to put it on the plane because the plane is a tad heavy to begin with and I want to practice before I try it with the cam on it. Hope to get about a flight every day or two weather permitting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15540.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	120546  
Old 04-11-2004, 12:28 AM
NCQ3

Zandona
Starting Member

RE: Accipter Badius modifications (in reply to Zandona) Report This Post | (Post No. 17)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In correction and response to my own post I wanna say that the AB is tail heavy and that moving the CG foward makes a huge difference. I tried today and it worked pretty well. 10 mph winds and it flew with no major problems , I used a couple of quarters between the battery and the motor and also moved the receiver as close to the nose as I could. I still need to improve my airtime but that is a matter of practice only. If anyone is still interested to talk about the AB please post something up, I know I could use some help with those not so stable wings. I know someone used bamboo but I was wondering how much would that affect the flying characteristics (aerodynamics).
Old 04-11-2004, 01:22 AM
NCQ3

I finally got the badius off the ground........................................ I ordered the bent wing same wing as the "Flying Dragon" on ebay on ebay too see if it would fly better. I was told LHS (local Hobby shop) the strait wings should be used by experiance flyers and I should use the bent ones for beignners since they provide auto balance and stability. Seems to have more lift with the Poly wings. If there is more than 5 mph wind dont fly not worth the risk!!!!! I broke my strait wings "fixable w clear packing tape" and propeller on same day and was unsuccesfull flying the first day. Second attempt 3 weeks later and withe the new poly wings "bent wing" was better, but still windy flights didnt last but few seconds till at last when wind died for about 40 seconds I was able to get air time. I think I have to be patient and wait for 0 -5mph wind to get this plane off . I also suggest to turn plane slowly, too much will cause it to nose dive. I guess this is why they call it a "Slope Diver Ehh?". overall this plane was worth the ;aerning process and cheapreplaceable parts. May I emphasis the cheap parts! you can order $7 wings and batteries $10 bucks $4 tailwings $4 proppellers. I suggest get alot of props as these dont have wheels to land.................................... I ordered my badius from ebay with the camera. I dont see how Im gonna attach the additional weight,........................................... ............................................... On Modifications I put my battery under the speed controler and next to the receiver to give more weight under south of the wing for better CG and foam behind the motor so the battery wont slide and change the Center Gravity by moving closer to the motor................................Can someone tell me if they were able to attach mini camera 1.2 ghz and succesfully balance the plane. Any pictures of this set up. I thought of cutting a hole under the fusealodge and mount camera inside. Has anyone done any great modifications they can share?
ANY ADVICE? Anyone?
Erwin
Old 04-11-2004, 10:16 AM
SNoWJackal

NCQ3,

I have mounted a cheep ebay cam on the top of my accipiter and ran the power cord under the wing. I have not flown it yet I plan to today weather permitting. Oh who am I kidding I will fly it regardless of the weather. I will take some photos when I get home, I tried to keep the CG as close to the same as I could. Same with the wing to wing balance I will let you guys know how it goes. Im working on getting the parts for the patch antenna tonight but Im having some troubles finding the SMA connector and the sheet metal.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Zandona

About the lithium-polymers, where did you get them and how does the AB fly with it?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:02 PM
NCQ3

SNoWJackal What kind of wirless cam did u get w your badius? The 1.2 g? or the 2 G? I was wondering if you used a seperate 9 volt battery for the mini cam or rewired it to the badiu's stock battery like the add says on ebay. Im afraid I might blow the camera. I wonder if they meant to tap into the receiver's power instead of the battery itself. I bought mines along w my badius frm ebay.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:58 PM
SNoWJackal

I have the cheep 1.2ghz ebay special, the winds are like 10 mph + right now so im hoping they will die down before it gets dark.
I run my cam off the 9v because im not sure if the cam can handle the 600ma from the 8.4v battery pack.

Name:	He97110.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	121227  
Old 04-11-2004, 10:28 PM
SNoWJackal

Ok so this was my first attempt at flying with the cam attatched. FYI it flys really bad with the added weight, here is the video I made. the is with all the stock cam equipment I have yet to get the patch antenna done yet. the Rx reciever was near where the plane crashed I was trying to fly around the antenna that was just out side my back door. Also the only damage was a broken prop.

Video
Old 04-19-2004, 09:58 AM
PLANEasDAY

hello there,
got my Accipter Badius / slope diver from hong kong recently, price was attractive. Built it (well stuck the wings together) on saturday and attempted my first flight on sunday. Yes the plane is a bit nose heavy with the battery pack foward. It was windy on sunday, too windy but my younger brothers wanted to see this thing flying, so up it went and it flew very well considering, faced it into the wind and it almost hovered for a while. When trying to take it down for a landing it ploughed and i broke the wing. Still i will fix it easily enough and take it out again. I am happy enough with this plane, value for money. [/b] [/b] [/b]
Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM
NCQ3

I Have to agree. this plane is Great for the price and cheap replacement parts. enough to get your feet wet and see if this is your cup of tea and save $$$. As a RTF Its a great. I like the fact that you can reuse the servos for another project (Servo's are Great) as they are FUTUBA compatible. as these mini servos is decent to keep for the next project. and if your ESC and receiver survives your many crashes from being a newbie, you can also transfer electrics and transmiter to the slowstick or other electric flyer projects. That is what I am planning to do on my next project. As mini servo's cost like $20 each thats $40 invested on for your next project already plus you get to learn on The Accipiter badius without worry. That my two cents.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 AM
NCQ3

Default Does anyone have videos of "your'"

Flew my Badius this eve. the last two succesful flights I had. I changed the position of battery to give the plane a low center gravity. I had lifted the 2 plastic internal frame inside the fuse and slid the battery flat laying sideways. basically make the battery lay flat and bottom floor canopy under those 2 frames. I actually broke one off the internal frame end where the rubber bands are suppose to be the end frame for easy battery access.. Still maintain your battery close to the motor however. I believe this plane tail heavy is when weight is distributed part of weight of battery is on top of fuse. If you follow the instruction manuel's battery placement IT WILL THROW OFf THE Plane low CG top fuse.
You Might want to tape some coins in the bottom fuse below the new position of the battery in the front beneath the battery so xtra weight force will provoke pull on the wing via gravity also help.. I
also highly recomend the Poly hedral wings (Folding wings) "bent wings" they look flymsy but if you tape them on the edge's with clear packing tape, they generate better lift on alerons and auto stabalizing on the main wings and make it stable on turns and can get you out of trouble in a dive. Mine has not nose dive since I got this wing.
Anyway that was my theory and works for me.

remember always balance plane before take off
Old 05-01-2004, 05:12 PM
NCQ3

RE: Does anybody fly Accipiter Badius i... (in reply to Indianax) Report This Post | (Post No. 81)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bdius is good if you know how to balance this plane. This Plane is not Balance 'stock, youneed to put the battery flat at its lowest point up front closest to the motor. you may need to add more weight "coins" to keep it balance. since this adds weight, Dont fly in more than 5mph winds. you will loose control of plane and crash hard. these are knowntohave sensitive ESC causing it to breaK IN A HARD CRASH. Price wise it is a great plane to bring to your beach house and keep there for the summer or vacation home and not worry about the $. If you really want this plane to last, order the polhedral wings $7.00 and dont ever use the flat wings it came with. Order it with the purchase of the badius, it will save you shipping, since they charge $20.00 shipping but nothing extra with the parts. I never had good luck with the stock wings and eventually crashed hard on them. Polyherdal wings gives the plane lift and even stability gliding. Like I said create that low center gravity by placing that battery below the inside bracing where the rubber bands are and slid it under thos bar. break it if you have to and move it as close to the motor. I know from experiance since I bought 2 accipiter badius and experimented alot on it. I have my planes for 3 months now and love it. I am guessing you can modify these and use lighter "micro" flight pack and get better flight time.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:39 PM
NCQ3

Default RE: Anybody Fly Accipiter Badius? Video/questions/setup/parts/mods

I finally turned one of my badius into a wing dragon/ wingo type plane I used badius's parts of its fuse, wing tail and of course all of its electronics. I will show you pics and how to conversion when I complete this project. All I can tell you so far is all I needed was thick strofoam and a 3/8 x 3/8 x 24 long balsa "basewood" stick I got from the LHS "local hobby shop", total cost of conversion $1.50 for the balsa. I got the foam from packing from a VCR or TV packing foam you get when you buy a new TV. I chose this project cause I heard alot of good things about the wingo and its carbon chinese copy wing dragon. wing dragon and wingo are ugly planes but stable and great trainer from what I heard. So far Im learning alot from this Badius model cheap and I have experimented alot learning more everyday, I will keep you guys posted. again anyones feedback is welcome.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:42 PM
NCQ3

If this project doesnt work I will make one of these with badius's whole electrics. and make a walmart trainer. see link ===>>>> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/WalM...1792029/tm.htm
Old 05-08-2004, 03:29 PM
SNoWJackal

NCQ3,

Can you post a pic of your wing dragon/ wingo creation?
Old 05-09-2004, 09:48 AM
NCQ3

SnowJackel I did make a fuse for the Wingo/ wingdragon look type plane I will show u a pic on my next posting, but was sooo ugly I had scrapped the Wingo/ wing dragon for now. On the pics I had made I guesss an accipiter badius version of the slow stick but flies fast, I had a test flight yesterday, It got off ground 3 min flyng but it was quite heavy 23 oz I need to lighten it up "I used too much electric tape", maybe I would need mini servos and receivers for this and lipo and keep the wings and tail.

Name:	Ec87296.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	130584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74210.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	130585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89921.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	130586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78100.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	130587  
Old 05-09-2004, 10:33 AM
NCQ3

picks of my wing dragon /WINGO creation WITH ACCIPITER FUSE AND WINGS, I have not flown this prototype , I just won a wing dragon on ebay for $54 . iM A eBAY NUT BY THE WAY!!!!!!!IM STILL TINKERING WITH ITS CENTER GRAVITY, THOSE SERVO'S WERE FOR MY accipiter badius STICK DESIGN SO IGNORE, iM JUST SHOWING YOU HOW IT MIGHT LOOK WITH THE FOAM FUSE I MADE. I have too many projects Im trying to do, i DONT KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE ME TO DO THIS PROJECT and Im a newbie TO THIS HOBBY. Have 3 rc planes and a sailboat still in mail waiting to aRRIVE, BUT THOSE WHO ARE INTRESTED THIS MAYBE A GOOD iDEA, BASED ON THE WINGO/ WING DRAGON DESIGN IT SHOULD FLY REAL EASY WITH WITH ITS LOW CENTER GRAVITY, MAKES SENSE THAT THIS PLAne WILL FLY STABLE. GUYS POST WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH YOUR aCCIPITER BADIUS!

Name:	Hf98584.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	130592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13576.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	130593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85900.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	130594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40247.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	130595  
Old 05-09-2004, 10:47 AM
NCQ3

here is a pick of badius with perfect Center gravity, Make sure your plane's CG is balance from these point of wing where the two pencils are before you fly. I have two badius planes and still fly the other one and the other converted into experimental plane/project plane.

Name:	Xv63674.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	130597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74359.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	130598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49605.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	130599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49828.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	130600  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.