Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GWS warbird - which of the 2 motor options should I go for?

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

GWS warbird - which of the 2 motor options should I go for?

Old 08-01-2004, 01:52 PM
+c0re-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS warbird - which of the 2 motor options should I go for?

I'm about to build a GWS mustang I think, just put together one of the spitfires and it's a nice little plane. The mustang I am going to cover in a thin layer of glass fibre to get a better finish, so it'll come out a touch heavier.

I'm unsure which power plant to use though, the instructions show you can either use the 350 (or 370?) geared motor, or you can use a direct drive 400 motor.

I'd really appreicate it if someone could give me some pointers on what will influence my decision, i.e would the geared motor as comes in the kit be better because it and it's battery will be lighter, or would I be better off with a more powerful one etc etc. I'm really not sure which would be the best route for me to take, I would take longer flight time over out and out speed, but main concern is that the thing will have enough power to stay up.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Hepdog

Default RE: GWS warbird - which of the 2 motor options should I go for?

I fly a GWS Mustang regularily. I had a bunch of flights with the stock 350 brushed motor in the C gear box. Stock it flew okay - but every gram of weight is critical. The first few test flights were unpainted - no landing gear - no rudder servo - on a AAA 8 cell Nimh pack. Performance was really good. However, after paint, rudder, bit more glue for some cracks, it turnt into a bit of a pooch on the stock motor and battery. It flew but you had to be VERY careful with energy management! A 2 cell Lipo would save about 80 grams and would really help out in that situation.

Based on my experiences, I would strongly reccomend a C or D gearbox with the 350 motor, 1060 or 9070 prop and go right to Lipo's. The GWS mustang flys fine if you keep it light - get it a little heavy and you better know what you are doing. It DOES have some rather nasty stall habits at the higher weights!!!! It also needs the static thrust for takeoff that a geared motor provides.

If you really want to glass it, you should really go brushless. I've just upgraded to an Eflite 400 B/L and 3s 1200 mah Lipo's for it. My Stang in now a rocket. Veritcal performance is very good. I can't cross link to other sites but I've posted some vids on a different forum like this one. Worth a look. Same name.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:52 AM
+c0re-

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking at Lipo batteries right now, but I only see 7.4 or 11.1 volt ones. The one that closest fits what I'm looking for I guess is a 7.4 volt, 1200ma 3 cell battery, that weighs 40 grams.

I also ordered the 4 blade prop from GWS but I believe it's a 10x8 4 blade, this seems to be a bit extreme compared to what I've seen a lot of others using so I may well not use it.

I'm happy if this plane ends up a bit slower rather than a bit twitchy.

If I end up using this 4 blade prop, which motor choice would be better for it? Or should I ditch the prop and use the stock one.

thanks again
Old 08-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Hepdog

Keep the 4 blade - you can use it for when your Stang is hanging from the roof on display Don't bother trying to fly a stock motor with it though - not nerely enough power to spin that big prop.

Are we talking about a slope soaring Mustang from GWS sans motor or did a powerplant come with the plane? If so what motor and which gear box? Grey or black? C or D? Stock prop is what?

7.4v Lipos are the better choice for most brushed motors. You can go 11.2 v but run the risk of burning up motors - sometimes very quickly. The weight advantage of the 7.4v Lipo should more than make up for less volts compared to Nimh or Nicd 8 cell packs. Just make sure you buy a Lipo pack that can handle higher current draws!! There are alot of different Lipo packs out there right now and they are not created equally!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Flypaper 2

TP 2100 lipo would be a good all around choice. If you go brushless Himax 2025 is a good choice. Cruises around at half throttle and a bit of full throttle for aerobatics, for a half hr. motor run on a Zero.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:43 PM
+c0re-

It's the GWS mustang with the geared 350 motor (not sure if this comes with a C or D gearbox).

I was thinking of running a 650ma 8 cell nimh battery in it but still looking into the feasability of Li-poly. Would this setup be good enough to start with, then I'll look into getting li-poly later when it's a more established power source?

My main concern is that with the fibreglass and paint (I'm planning to use 0.7 oz glass cloth) that the plane still has enough power to fly around, I'm not worried about it having blistering performance or anything, just so long as it can take it's own weight so to speak.

The annoying thing is that the 400 direct drive motor and the 350 geared one need different mounting systems, so when you build the plane you have to pick one and glue the motor mount in. Doesn't seem too easy to change your mind later without a lot of work

thanks again for the replies!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Flypaper 2

The motor and gearbox you have would be the better choice. The little extra power of the 400 doesn't make up for the extra weight as it's a fair bit heavier than the 350.Don't think the 650 batt. could carry the amps or give you a very long motor run. the 7.4 volt, not less than 1500 ma. lipo would give much better performance and endurance. Started using lipos last year and wouldn't think of going back. Just double checking the charge rate and batt. types all you need to do and let the charger do the rest. For a light finish with glass, fill in the foam pores and panel lines with light spackling, sand smooth. I use a playing card as a spatula to spread out the epoxy to a thin layer. the epoxy right on the foam would be way to heavy. Hope this helps.
Sorry, just saw your thread about how to finish the foam. The epoxy would give a much harder finish than the Urathane finishes. I use the finishing resin as it's much thinner than the regular glue epoxies. Use the one hr. stuff. For instance, on the wing, start with the bottom, cut it so it doen't quite come to the leading edge and let it hang out the back for an inch. do this with the ailerons cut off. Lay the glass on the wing. Pour some epoxy on the glaabout the size of a quarter nd spread out in all direction with the playing card till there is no more shine. If it looks glossy it's not spread out thin enough. Pour on more till the bottom is done. Let it harden then do the top. Wrap it around the LE and overlap the glass on the bottom by 1/4 in.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:36 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Go with a brushless motor add to your stock gws gearbox. Run it with a 3s lipo and you'll thank yourself down the road.

John