Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

F.A.D.(fanfold aircraft design)

Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: F.A.D.(fanfold aircraft design)

X I think I recognize your work from somewhere else Youre from Charlotte correct?. Anyway heres mine Will you be in Burlington this weekend?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63012.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	218235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87504.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	218236  
Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats in burlington?? i wont be going anywhere this weekend .. my father is in the hospital and i will need to stay in town .. plus it will give me a chance to refine and redo the Goose plans ..

and yeah im the same one .. i lost my vyceroy account info for this forum so i had to redo another name .. and yes im in Hell oops i mean Charlotte lol

thats a beauty of a Jet .. is that one of Jetsets??
Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a beauty of a Jet .. is that one of Jetsets??
Thanks! Nope it is from 3DFoamy plans. PM me, I get in CLT regular maybe we can spend a few cells
Old 01-20-2005, 10:04 PM

Im always up for spending a few cells .. just drop me a mail through one of the forums when your going to be in town ..
Old 01-21-2005, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: X_Vyceroy_X

Cumnthru .. do i know you from the other forum??

Yes, we may have corresponded. I follow most of your postings as well as some of the other talented FFF artist on the Zone. I"ve aquired some plans from Fiddlers Green and will be useing the inspiration provided by people like yourself to try my hand at those sleek and contoured 3 dimensional models. I've gotten into the third dimension, yet havn't boke free of the easier geometric shapes to date, but I'm working on it. Keep up the good work, we all benefit from the inspiration. Joe
Old 01-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Baking wings a great way to make undercambered airfoils that will hold their shape. They are much stronger than formed wings and they work great for slowflyers. Hippo has plans for a jig that works fantastic. You can find it here http://www.foamfly.com/customer/down...94b74d538c19d1

Bake the wings at 200 degrees for 20 minutes and they are done. We have bult a couple of 60" slowflyer wings by joining the wing panels with glue and reinforcing the joints with clear packing tape. We usually add a carbon fiber rod on a wing that big so that it does not fold from the stress. You can also join them to make a symmetric airfoil , however, lately I have been using the folding technique for my symmetric wings.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Hi Guys, didn't realize this thread was still going. I'm currently working on a short project in the Carribean(somebody has to do it). Only problem is, can't do any flying here. As for the baking thing, I've heard from others that it works well. I don't have an oven large enough to bake mine. I get pretty good results with undercamber wings by just heating with a heatgun (be carefull) and then folding over the edge of a table. I start an inch from the leading edge and gently bend the wing and continue at one inch intervals until I get the fold I need. Be carefull heating the fanfold, too much heat will melt the covering, just get the fanfold warm to the touch. Another easy way to build a built up wing is to use the folded edge of the fanfold. Cut two layers of fanfold leaving the folding leading edge at the front. Cut to the width you need (I usually make a 10 to 14 inch chord). Using the bending method I listed above, you can bend over the top half of the wing. Use a yardstick or balsa or light ply strip as a wing spar. The fold already in the fanfold will be the leading edge of the wing. The fanfold layer you bend will be the top of the wing. For a symetrical wing, fold the bottom half as well. Join the fanfold at the rear edge. I usually use a foam sanding block to sand down the edges of the trailing edge so the trailing edge will not be too thick. My favorite planes are still the ones I make myself.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:10 PM

you can bend in the foil and add 2 ribs per wing half and it will be fine .. when i cant bake a wing i add ribs with no penalty ..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 PM

OMG

Are you my old Mentor????

Viceroy? is that really you.?

Its like finding your real father out here isnt it/? The net is so friggen cool.

YYOu check out this YOu tube link and you will remember me. I hope....

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=-VOzZ9ikWKU

You are my mentor. BluCOre Rules!!!! oh, and hot glue . lol