Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Cheap zagi clone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap zagi clone?

Hi all,

Im looking for the best cheap zagi lookalike wing to take to the park without the hassle of bringing tons of gear, and have a blast without worrying about any fragile parts snapping apart. The origionall zagi looks sweet on pics and movies, and seems to be able to take nearly anything, but the price is a little iffy, for just a couple of wing cores and a plastic tub.

Someone mentionned the "Zagnutz", but google and a forum search didnt turn up any build instructions (Well, links to them, but all dead).

Then I found the PCW, wich is a very neat and fast little thing wich looks really perfect and cheap at first, but the battery seems to be permanently stuck, making it impossible to do multiple packs at the field without bringing a car and a charger. (no bike trips to the park for an hour or 2 of fun) Ive read that the new PCW v2. has a battery tray, but I havent seen any pics of swappable packs though. If it turns out they now DO have a swap tray, Id go for it straight away.

Then theres this wing called a unicorn, but it seems mighty expencive and I think its glider only, so I didnt really bother checking it out any further.

Theres also an ad on RCU about a couple combat wings, but the price of those things are just nasty.

So, does anyone know of a cheap and tough zagi clone or any other nearly indestructible and easy flyer? Id love to hear and see about them.

Thanks alot,
Sven aka. Freakazoid.

P.s.
Please dont bash me about this being asked before, ive tried searching the forums, and the above is what ive found sofar.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:58 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Default RE: Cheap zagi clone?

Sven you won't get bashed on this forum, as for your questions. The origonal zagi is no longer being produced, the new Zagi is the "Zagi-XS", which ARF for $135 at your local hobby store. I'm not sure how much that is in the netherlands, but its about 50 dollars cheaper than getting it straight from Zagi. And as for it just coming with a few wing cores and carbon spars, the new zagi now has 5 spars including a balsa spar for added strength, also the Zagi-XS kit comes with a Kan 8cell 1800 nimh pack, a 20 amp ESC and a reversed time 400 pusher motor w/ a prop and hub. So all you need now is a 3 channel radio w/ mixing and micro components.

Hope this helps you out a little, the plane kit isn't the expensive part, the radio is...

-Steven
Old 08-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Freakazoid

Are you saying I can get a superstrength zagi (and in superstrength I mean it can take a full on with some tree branches) for only 135 dollars, and thats with ESC, battery, motor, prop and hardware INCLUDED?? [X(] That most surely isnt bad. Do you have a link to the shop? Because Buying it at the local shop is just a pure rip. (graupner terry in germany costs 45 euro's, same plane over here, 62) What I found on zagi was a couple wingcores, a tub and a motor, wich costed around 100 dollars.[&:]

Ive got a nice futaba fieldforce6, a miniature 4channel, and heaps of servos in all sizes, so the radio part is well covered.

Ill go check this Zagi-XS out a bit on the web to see if it is what im looking for.

Thanks

EDIT:

It sure has got the good looks and sound. -=Video=-
The electronics tub looks like it can accomodate lipoly, wich makes it even sweeter (the old zagi could only carry AA stick battery's in its narrow gondola).

I think your estimated price is a little exaggerated though.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:03 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Not an exageration my friend, thats what I paid for it from www.hobbypeople.net Hobbypeople is my local hobbyshop. And yes all Zagi's kits come with ESC, battery, and motor plus hardware and a the infamous coffee flavored candy( yuck!!!) lol... For 50 bucks more you can get it from www.zagi.com directly. You should call them up, they're very nice and will answer all your questions.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:05 AM
Freakazoid

The big problem is, I hate the USA to europe shipping costs. (tower wanted 37 dollars for shipping me an XS [:@])
Old 08-29-2004, 11:27 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Ahh that sucks!!!! Okay here's my recommendation, you get a passport and about 2 grand and fly to america. Go straight to zagi in Venice beach, buy their kit and go home.. Well that covers shippin lol....
Old 08-30-2004, 10:26 AM
RickAvery

I was told recently by a 'hobby people' employee that zagi will no longer be carried by 'hobby people'. My brother-in-law bought the last XS on the shelf. I think he paid $142.00 and it comes with everything as mentioned above, plus 2 props, fiber tape and one roll of colored tape. You need a Tx, Rx & servos to get flying.
Rick
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 AM
d_wheel

Take a look at the Slinger. Goes together in no time and is as tough as a Zagi.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDSC1&P=ML

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Hobbypeople stopped caryying zagi supplies and kits!!! Whaa!!!!!! Ahh man luckily, there's still Martyshobbies in moorpark lol...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Freakazoid

The slinger is WAY not as tough as a zagi. Its cores are made of styrofoam. When you flock that thing against a fence, you better grab a plastic bag, cuz baby, its snowing. I found a dutch shop that carry's the slinger, but here comes the price: 160 dollars!! [:@]

I know the US has some perty good deals here and there, but theire all perty much useless to me, because the good deals all get killed by those US maniak shippingcosts and import tax fee's.[]
Old 08-30-2004, 04:28 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

I don't know about Hobby People stopping the Zagi product line. I was just in their Fountain Valley store and saw several kits and accesories in stock. If your in the area, check out Jax Hobbies.

John
Old 08-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Freakazoid

Ok, so we now have:

Zagi: Expencive, especially in holland.
Zagnutz: Instructions nowhere to be found.
PCW: Very cool, but not for sale in holland
Unicorn: expencive, and probably glider only.
Slinger: Looks nice, but probably isnt very collision resistant. (It wont take a fence like any of the above.)
Swift: Looks like a small zagi, kinda... but its ugly as hell if you ask me.

Any more takers? Keep posting if you got em.

Edit:
Would you believe it.. Right under my nose.. The ad on RCU, above my thread:
XE2 Flying wing

Ive E-mailed the people for a full inquiry on what it ll cost me to get the wing to holland. Well see what happens.

Also, I wonder how it looks when you cover your wing with this stuff. [&:]
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 PM

Here's some more;

http://www.aceshighrc.com/index.htm
http://www.corndoghobbies.com/
http://www.proseth.com/eagle/mega/mm1st.htm
http://www.mmglidertech.com/aircraft.html
http://www.rcworks.com/
http://www.ritewingrc.com/
http://www.slofly.com/
http://www.speedwing.net./
http://www.superflyrc.com/SF_Frames....me=SF_Home.asp
http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/ - these are great! I have one with a 16/15/4. Just fantastic!
http://www.windrider.com.hk/image/image2.cfm
http://www.jetsetairplanes.com/
http://www.wingwarrior.com/ - I have an E-Zipper MkII with a 16/15/3. Very fast!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:24 PM
INeedHelp

The Unicorn is a great wing I have one and until recently it was my favorite plane. They are not a glider only and $50 for the core kit is not that expensive. Here is the link: http://unicornwings.site.yahoo.net/
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 AM
Freakazoid

Thanks 777!!
Ill walk through it in this post:

Ace High: Looks nice, but its a little to small for me.
Corndog: Dead site.
Mega mantis: gigantic! I cant get that in my room.
Wedgy: looks OK, ill look into it some more.
RC-Works: Flimzy, and as far as I can see, USA only.
RitewingRC: Expencive because its prebuilt?
Slofly: Small stuff, and the good ones are out of stock.
Speedwing: Speedwing400 looks good, but its unclear wether motor is included.
Superfly: Cool stuff, but not really what im looking for.
Unicorn: Cool one, but a little bit of doubt about crash resistance.
Wind Rider: Looks fragile.
Jetset: Really beautifull stuff, but the molded on winglets mess it up.
Wingwarrior: I really love the eSlayer, its got bad carbon reenforcements and everything.

Wich leaves me with: Wedgy, Speedwing, Unicorn, and Wingwarrior.
That gives me an afternoon of research. Thanks again.
[hr]
EDIT: The unicorn site does not ship to holland, so that one drops off the list I guess..
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
RickAvery

Freak,
I have a wing warrior e-slayer and it flies fine. It is not perfect however and needs some modification to really shine. In stock form it will flap in a steep, fast dive. The single carbon spar is not enough to hold it stiff. The zagi XS has really upped the ante with their carbon reinforcements. They have many flat carbon spars imbedded into the wing top and bottom along with a thin plywood spar which spans across the root of the cores. I found a carbon fiber supplier in NY and had the same size flat spars as used in the zagi sent out. When I retape my wing, I'll go brushless and install the spars. The zagi is a quality unit out of the box and you might want to just pick up one of those. I like to tinker and will try to upgrade the slayer into a zagi killer. It has a thinner airfoil than the zagi and if I can keep it from flapping it should rip. I think that most of the EPP wings are very resiliant and almost crash resistant. If I'm not mistaken, the slinger is an EPS wing with an EPP leading edge and is probably not as fragile as you make it out to be. Good luck.
Rick
Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Freakazoid

Ive got 150 dollars to spend and im completly blown away by the ammount of wings available.
Ive got a Speed400 ESC and radiogear already laying around, so ill need the wing kit with motor, some tape and stuff, and thats it I guess. What do you lot suggest I should buy? Theres a slight problem though. It has to be shipped to holland, wich is a ***** when its coming from the USA, so from the UK or something would be great.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

Thanks 777!!
Ill walk through it in this post:

Ace High: Looks nice, but its a little to small for me.
Corndog: Dead site.
Mega mantis: gigantic! I cant get that in my room.
Wedgy: looks OK, ill look into it some more.
RC-Works: Flimzy, and as far as I can see, USA only.
RitewingRC: Expencive because its prebuilt?
Slofly: Small stuff, and the good ones are out of stock.
Speedwing: Speedwing400 looks good, but its unclear wether motor is included.
Superfly: Cool stuff, but not really what im looking for.
Unicorn: Cool one, but a little bit of doubt about crash resistance.
Wind Rider: Looks fragile.
Jetset: Really beautifull stuff, but the molded on winglets mess it up.
Wingwarrior: I really love the eSlayer, its got bad carbon reenforcements and everything.

Wich leaves me with: Wedgy, Speedwing, Unicorn, and Wingwarrior.
That gives me an afternoon of research. Thanks again.
[hr]
EDIT: The unicorn site does not ship to holland, so that one drops off the list I guess..
Glad that provided you with some reading. Too bad that you can't get the Unicorn, because it's serious kick-butt. I've had some exposure to other wings, so I feel somewhat confident that I speak from some experience.

My Wing Warrior E-Zipper MkII does not flap at all in dives which are probably around 100mph. Doesn't glide very well however because it likes to have the power on.

Brad
Old 08-31-2004, 05:59 PM
Freakazoid

Id like something that allows a little leasurly 20% throttle park flying, aswell as slamming the power and do some mad circusfreak moves like those unicorns in the video. The unicorn looks perty damn good, but I cant seem to find and european dealers for it. I found something on www.combatwings.com though. The XE2 looks perty good to me. What do you think? Check out theire videos to get a bit of an impression.

May I ask what you mean by flapping in dives? Is that when the wing just slams its body flat in the wind instead of knifing through?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:28 PM

Flapping is a phenomenon exhibited by some wings when they start to go very fast. They will begin to oscillate their wings like a seagull.......sometimes to the point where they blow apart. I've never experienced it with my Unicorn or my Wing Warrior.

You are right about the Unicorn. It can fly amazingly slowly. It flies great too with the speed 400. Strap on a brushless & you can get the best of both worlds! I just remembered a place that you might check out. It's a little closer to home for you http://www.uk-wings.com/

Brad
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Freakazoid

I think that site has gone a little overboard with theire pricing.

At that site, the unicorn with brushed setup (motor, esc, battery) costs 230 dollars. At combatwings.com that same setup costs only 143 dollars.. (Brushless kit 260). Quite a rip, if you ask me.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:14 PM

That'll show me! I don't know the British pound conversion rate to save my life!

BTW, your English is excellent. Don't they speak another language in the Netherlands (Dutch?) because from your English, you'd think that English is your first language.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:17 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Hey freakaziod I was looking on zagi's website www.zagi.com and I came across the "dealers" link. It pretty much shows which countries, city's etc carry their product. Anyway I found one in holland that carries zagi. Heres all the info I found on that store,

Company: MODEL CRAFT INT.
Store telephone number: +31 (0)72-5090330
City: HEERHUGOWAARD - HOLLAND

Hope that helps you out, I was just messing around when I remembered about this thread.

-Steven
Old 09-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Freakazoid

@777: Thanks. Thats kinda what happens when you hang around on english forums all day I guess. My native language is dutch. BTW: XE is *****in handy for currency conversion.

@fatalflyer: Check it out, Model Craft. 213 dollars for a wing with brushed set (motor, esc and battery). Not far behind a unicorn. [&:] Im beginning to wonder if europe is full of morons that try to rip money from eachother. [:@] Any of you have a spare room over there?

[hr]

EDIT 1: Ive made up my mind. Its going to be an XE2 from combatwings.com. Color will be blue/yellow, and im going to put bi-axel nylon tape to good use. Im gonna tape it up like in the zagi instructions, plus some on the leading edge. Shipping will be bad, but the 12 bucks coupon from RCU will soften the blow by half. Ill have to go buy some M3 77 spray somewhere else, because the stupid airmail wont allow it.

[hr]

EDIT 2: I went to the local hobby shop, but those people dont know what adhecive spray is. [&:]
Im also trying to think of a nice colorscene, so what do you guys thinkof this one?

Old 09-01-2004, 06:18 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

FreakAzoid your best bet is to order the zagi kit from america, its still cheaper even with the shipping. The main reason your kits are more expensive in europe is because your dollar is worth less than the american dollar. Since your hobbyshop near you or in europe needs to spend more on the kits they carry from america, they charge more for them. I'd say you should buy the zagi XS kit from towerhobbies.com and pay that 30 dollar shipping, your still saving money... Sorry man.... Why don't you save up, and move to america lol... Then you can buy wing kits for super cheap

-Steven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.