Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

FORMOSA (seeking advice from more Xperienced pilots)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

FORMOSA (seeking advice from more Xperienced pilots)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FORMOSA (seeking advice from more Xperienced pilots)

I have the FORMOSA NIB just came from Tower. Reading many posts I have made my own package -[GUESSING]- as follows : MOTOR AXI Brushless 2208 ESC Jeti 18 THUNDERPOWER LIPO 1350 & 2100 2 cells- HobbyLobby axial mount...3 HITEC 81 servos..NOW REQUESTING from experienced E fliers if I have the right package..... ALSO : should I first just install the reg.motor that came with the FORMOSA ? to get used to it first ?...have considered making 2 Formosas - one with reg. and one with AXI..... any helpful response witll be much appreciated. RICK....

***had posted in the wrong FORUM, hope I get "some" responses this time....this is a BONOFIDE request
Old 09-28-2004, 10:43 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: FORMOSA (seeking advice from more Xperienced pilots)

Without knowing your skill level I would suggest building it with the stock motor first. It will be easy to switch to the brushless motor after you get used to the way this plane flies.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
mdavies31

Lots of info here-

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Formosa.htm
Old 09-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Mike4122KSA

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

I have the FORMOSA NIB just came from Tower. Reading many posts I have made my own package -[GUESSING]- as follows : MOTOR AXI Brushless 2208 ESC Jeti 18 THUNDERPOWER LIPO 1350 & 2100 2 cells- HobbyLobby axial mount...3 HITEC 81 servos..NOW REQUESTING from experienced E fliers if I have the right package..... ALSO : should I first just install the reg.motor that came with the FORMOSA ? to get used to it first ?...have considered making 2 Formosas - one with reg. and one with AXI..... any helpful response witll be much appreciated. RICK....

***had posted in the wrong FORUM, hope I get "some" responses this time....this is a BONOFIDE request
Quick answer, that particular AXI motor is too small, the HS-81 servos are too big, and the TP 2100 battery is too big (depending).

I'm on my second Formosa, and have tried 3 drivetrains. Here's my opinion.

If you want a general sport flyer, and keeping the weight to a minimum...... I ran one like this for a while. Good overall performance (limited vertical). Might hit 40 mph in a shallow dive.

3 HS-55 servos.
Himaxx 2015-4100, GWS gearbox with C gear, and GWS HD/DD 10-6 prop (about 10 amps)
A 3 series lipo pack somewhere inbetween 1000 and 1600 mah. A TP 1320 is nearly ideal.
Berg 4 rx
Castle Creations P10 esc.
leave the landing gear off to keep it light, and reduce drag.

My current plane...Very good performance, true unlimited vertical. But much heavier. Very fast, est 45 mph. Still slows down nicely for landing.

2 JR 241 servos for tail, 2 HS-55 servos for ailerons (gotta get a bit creative to install the independant servos)
Himaxx 2025-4200, Cobri gearbox, 5.67 ratio, APC 11-7 thin E prop (about 15 amps)
CC P25 esc
Berg 5 Rx
TP 2100 3s or Tanic 1550 packs

Be careful when ordering batteries, as the battery bay is only 2 inches / 50mm wide, and some lipo packs are wider.

If you are set on an AXI motor (nothing wrong with that, I have a 2212/34 in a EP glider), then get the 2212/26 (or maybe the /34). Should spin a 9-10" diameter prop with 6-7" pitch just fine.

The stock motor on 8 KAN650 cells or 2s lipo will work just fine. Just keep it light.

HTH
Mike
Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 AM
p510851
My Feedback: (60)

I agree 100% with Mike. if you want to have some fun just use a lypo 2 pack 1500ma with the stock motor using the 9/6 prop. flies really nice. I use the great planes 7.4 2 pack. Mine gets over 30 minutes on the pack.
Tony
Old 10-11-2004, 08:43 PM
barkcollar222

Hi everyone, this is my first reply. hope it works.

I fly a formosa . It has a AXI 2212/26 w/ 12x7 masterairscrew electric prop ,castle creations ph-25 w/ a 3s 2100mah thunderpower li-po It is pretty fast.2 Hi-tec hs-55 1 hs-81
I wanted to make it as 3D as possible gave the alirons extra throw extending the arms.
It did'nt work like i wanted but flys good. Knife edge, invert, snap rolls and crazy stuff.
I've also tried an 8x8 prop I got longer fly time
I've add extra weight from crashes and epoxy also installed retracts from GWS kinda worked (to cheap) took them out.
I know this is'nt the best setup on paper but it works So experiment with what ever you can afford.( my wife controls the money so I'm limited)(it sucks)
Old 10-11-2004, 08:48 PM
barkcollar222

Correction 10x7 prop
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 PM
afineman

Greetings All

I too just bought 2 Formosa's ( 1 for me 1 for my brother), I have spent the last 3 weeks researching this plane, we will be doing the following ( PLEASE step in if we are going astray)

we will be glassing the plane. do we glass it inside prior to gluing the fuse together, do we glass all the surfaces ( fuse, wings, and tail), are there week points we should double glass.

A lot of posts talk about glassing and the technique but not the areas covered.

Even though we have brushless motors and Li-Poly, we want to run stock in the beginning ( it is much cheaper to lose the stock plane), with the minor added weight of the glassing, can it still fly OK

we will also be using Polks 4.4 gr servos, Hitech micro 4 ch rx, a 20 amp ESC, and an assortment of NiMh batteries.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions PLEASE.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 10-12-2004, 08:15 PM
barkcollar222

It's all good
Old 10-12-2004, 08:23 PM
barkcollar222

It's all good
I also failed to mention I glassed the entire outside of mine. When I crashed a number of times it broke at the canopy 3 different times. epoxy is my friend!
I haven't used stock power plant since I first got into flying.

I changed props today 10x3.8 slowflyer
It flew well and a lot slower ( trying to do more aerobatics) I crashed inverted dragging the tail on the ground.
I'm starting to believe my flying buddies(that laugh at me continuously)that the Formosa is not going to do the things I want it to.
It's time to move on then.(Hellraiser or Ultimate)
Old 10-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Kurt P

@ barkcollar222
Hello, I'm building a formosa for the moment. I've bought a AXI 2212/14 for this. Since you're using the same motor, I was wondering how you fixed the motor to the plane. Have you used the radial mounting kit from modelmotors?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:59 AM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

I just returned from flying mine. Here is my setup if it helps. E-flite brushless speed 400, Castle Creations 45 speed control ( over kill ) with 1325 11.1 3c lipos. Using the gearbox that came with the model as the motor just bolts right on. With a full charge it will pop out of your hand on a hand launch and blow prop wash in your face as it screams to around 150 feet in about 2 seconds. I fly at around 1/2 throttle and it will preform all the IMAC basic maneuvers along with most F3. What amazes me the most is it will push over the top from inverted flight where most power planes I've flown won't. Biggest problem I'm having is keeping the canopy on in a dive. Time to add some vinyl strapping. This is really one of the funnest models I have flown in a long time.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:19 AM
airmann

I just built my first plane (Slowstick) with my 10YO son last week. We both love it and fly it well. We've had RF sim for about a year. I'm looking to build a more performance plane for myself. I bought a Formosa SG (glider) figuring I wanted to go brushless so I didn't want motor. I found it doesn't come with landing gear, gearbox, and something I believe called a tail dragger.

I don't care about the gearbox because I will probably go with a Himax outrunner. I have no idea what the "tail dragger" is.

Am I going the right direction with the SG? I see comments about flying with the stock motor first. Can't I just set up exponential on my 7cap to flaten response if I find too peppy?

Also, I see places where they state the glider version is unpainted. Are they implying that the regular version is painted?

I just want to get building it and wondering if I should just start building the SG version or return it to the store and order the regular Formosa.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airmann;
You are heading in the right direction. 60% Expo will help a lot till you get a handle on it. Formosa is (as far as I know) the only one that comes natural white, and is very visible as such. Tail dragger as opposed to tricycle landing gear. Sort of like, tail wheel is dragging on the ground. If your going to use Lipo 3 cell batt. it's easier to cut a slightly larger slot for it before you glue the two fuse. half's together.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
airmann

Starting to build my Formosa SG. Looking for flight components now. I do not want to fly it with the GWS stock motors but rather want some extra power. I'm thinking of the following:

Himax Outrunner 2812-0850
Phoenix 25 ESC
Naro +F BB servos
Berg 5ch reciever
11.1 volt ETEC 1700MAH Lipoly

I'd appreciate any comments.

Also, what size prop should I be looking at? Am I forgeting anything else?

Thanks - Jeff
Old 11-26-2004, 09:57 AM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

belive it or not i had a formosa with GWS mini standard servos and the stock moter and it flew preety good actualy. and it was my fist aliron plane and i flew it for a long time before i had a problem and somthing fryed the reciver in flight and that was the end of my formosa. had a simalar problem with my gws spitfire but it was my fault i dident put the antenna up
Old 11-28-2004, 07:10 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Jeff your setup looks good. you should get around 16 minutes flight time or a little more.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:40 AM
airmann

I flew my Formosa for the first time today. Hate to admit I forgot to check the airlerons (were reversed) so I don't have to tell you what happened. After some minor foam patching it flew great! I limited the end-point on the throttle to 75%, 30% dual rate on other channels and 20% expo for starters. I don't think I'll need to ever use more than 75% throttle. It goes vertical very fast. I'm very pleased with the Formosa for my first airleron plane.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2004, 08:40 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Hi guys,
I just received my 1st Formosa, late Christmas present Here`s my question , I want to start with the stock motor system which is the 350C/B . It comes with a 8x6 and 9x7 prop. I want to use lipo pack for more duration. What would you reconmmend as far as prop and lipo battery choice? By the way , this will be my 1st attemp at lipo batterys[]. Thanks all in advance.

Frank