Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

.157 or .180 Carbon???

Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 AM
RCaillouet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .157 or .180 Carbon???

Hello all!!!! Hope that everyone is doing okay today!

Well, I have a problem. I don't have any place to get carbon rods locally and have to mail order them, Not that big a deal except without seeing them first I can't get a feel for what I will need.

I am planning on making a 3DFoamy Cap 232. The wing span is around 40 inches. I have already built one trying to use a 3/16 Basswood spar in the wing and of course it snapped! There is actually a funny story about it!! Let's just say it involves a C-26, a Lowes, 3 BORED pilots and crew, and when we got home to fly it, there was a field full of hecklers (fellow club memebers) on hand to witness and marvel at my piloting skills!!!! Needless to say, we all got a laugh!

WELL, now that I have bored youo enough, I should get back to the question. WHICH PULTRUDED CARBON ROD SHOULD I GO WITH FOR WING SPARS AND OVERALL BUILDING OF FOAM PLANES FOR 3D???

I am afraid that the 4mm (.157) will have to much flex in it for the flying I am wanting this thing to do!!! Are my fear justifiable?
I am wanting this wing / plane to be "STIFF" so that I can throw any manuver I want at this thing!

Any advise on how to make this project work would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Reg

PS WIll 3M spray hold the plane together, or am I going to be forced to use epoxy? Any other tips you have to keep the weight down is nice too!!!