Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fastest GWS plane......

Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 PM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest GWS plane......

I am looking to find out what gws foam plane with ailerons has the fastest speed. I have a himax 2025-4200 motor CC 25 ESC and thunder power 3 cell lipo. I just want to see some speed. I am currently flying this setup in my E starter.

Thanx
Old 12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Direwolf

Default RE: Fastest GWS plane......

That'll do very well in a Formosa.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
FlybyPDX

Thats what I was thinking... anyone know of anything faster? How fast will a fromosa go on this setup?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Slow Stick it will do around 45 just keep it light and you'll have a blast with it. I'm using an E-Flite 400 brushless with a CC 45 ( overkill ) and Thunderpower 3c 1320 lipo's. When you hand launch it will blow prop wash in your face 20' away. A blast to fly.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 AM
FlybyPDX

I have a slow stick... I just want something faster!!!! My e-starter is much faster than my slow stick though. I have almost riped the wings off both of them.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I would suggest you go for the GWS P51 Mustang. I had one with a brushless MPJet and liked the performance, it is very fast and flies well. However, I found the landing gear very flimsy and eventually took it off, I wish I did it earlier.

You have to land fast, but I just "greased" it in on mowed grass or just settled in on fields with tall grass. The controls are VERY sensitive, make sure to keep to the recommended throws or less. Read the forums, there is lots of info on this plane.

In the winter, I took a large soda pop bottle, cut around the neck so there was a larger hole, then trimmed off one side of the bottle. I slid the bottle hole over the motor shaft, with the bottle going along the bottom of the plane, I attached the part of the bottle I trimmed off to the end of the bottle on the bottom of the plane to give it more length. I then fastened the end of the bottle on the bottom under the tail section with velcro so it could be easily removed. This acted like a long ski on the snow.

Hope this helps,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 AM
FlybyPDX

OOoo... that sounds nice for snow!

Is it possible to put retracts on a P51?

How fast would you say you had this going? (MPH)
Old 12-15-2004, 02:18 AM
chasferr
My Feedback: (1)

What company is GWS?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:28 AM
FlybyPDX

Grand wing servo.

gws.com.tw

They are a great company. especially for beginers. SUPER easy to build, fly and maintain.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi FlybyPDX and Chasferr,

GWS does make retracts, but I've never tried them, I heard they are very fragile - I think they have to be to keep the weight down, you need to be careful when landing if you use them. I forgot to mention, I hand launched my Mustang and also my Formosa.

As for speed, I never have clocked a plane flying, and have no idea of the speed. I do know it moves very fast - it can get out of eyesite quickly at WOT (wide open throttle) - but then it is a small plane. Since the plane is silver and black, it is hard to find in snow that is iregulat (gives shadows).

One thing about brushless in these planes, make sure your LiPo's can deliver the amps needed. I was flying 3S 1500's at 8C (12 amps out max), but motoCalc said it needs 14 amps with the prop I had on. Flight time was short and was just OK, I could never figure out why. I switched to 2000's at 15C (30 amps) and the plane really came to life with full power, longer flight time and the batteries did not get hot.

If your going to use LiPo's I have a suggestion, when you are building, make sure to hollow out the fuselage to make sure there is room for them before glueing the fuselage halves together.

I have another thread going that has all the acronyms, such as GWS etc. You may want to do a search for ACRONYMS and go the last post of the thread, the latest list is at the end. To got to the end of any thread, click on the blue "right arrow" in at the end of the post description.

Hope the above helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Tracon

I Have the Formosa and the Mustang, running a Himaxx 2025-4200 with a GWS "H" Gear 5.3.1 with a APC 10X7 and Thunder Power 3s 2100's I'd say I get close to 40-50 Mph out of the Mustang and a little less from the Formosa...

The Formosa being a little larger and heavier this is to be expected....but for the Mustang...it's fast !!!

Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67693.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	203303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32344.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	203304  
Old 12-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Hepdog

The Mustang rocks on that motor and gearbox. Run a 1080 prop and it is super fast - just make sure your Lipos can handle it. When you build it you MUST use a carbon fibre spar - the loads at those speeds will snap the wings real easy.

small vid

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1
Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 PM
SBR_RV

heck dont use the retracts they are weak, i heard they only lasted 4 taxi tests.
that motor would go well in mustang.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
FlybyPDX

Sweet!! Thanx a lot guys!

Why would someone want to buy the fromosa over the p51 then?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Hepdog

Cause the P51 goes fast period. That is all it can do - no knife edge, no hard-core aerobatics etc. The split elevator makes it kinda messy to do any serious aerobatics. The Mustang has its place and so does the Formosa, they are just for different pilots.

Forget about the GWS retracts - they are junk. Even the "bigger" set can not handle the landing loads of a Mustang. Okay for take-off but thats it - unless you have the velvet touch EVERY landing...not.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:57 AM
Tracon

I got out and put flight on my GWS Mustang and caught a bit of it on film until the batteries in the cam corder gave up the ghost.

Check out "Big Beautiful Doll" doing her thing:

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500...tiful_Doll.wmv

Enjoy !

Sam
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Sam,

I had a GWS Mustang with a MPJet brushless and really enjoyed it. I flew it so much that the foam was pounded enough to eventually make the front end mushy.

I think I'll pick up another one, my Formosa is nice, but I really did like the speed of the Mustang.

Would you mind posting the control surface throws that you use on elevator, rudder and ailerons? I've long since forgot mine.

Thanks,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
chasferr
My Feedback: (1)

Great video, keep them coming.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Tracon

Hi Wayne,

I have my throws setup very low...

On "Low" rates I have 45% on my elevator and 65% on my ailerons of my total deflection dialed in.

On "High" rates I have 45% on my elevator and 100% on my ailerons.

Always try to keep your rates down on the elevator....as we all know if they're too high, that horrifying "Snap" effect kicks in if you yank back on the stick to hard while your running full out !

I like to fly mine as scale like as possible...."Looks Nice"

Hope this helps,

Good Flights & Landings...

Sam
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting back to me with the information.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 12-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Tracon

Hi Guys,

I regret to inform everyone that I suffered the loss of "Big Beautiful Doll"...

In the five years I've been flying gliders, .90 size 300 Extra and all my electric planes I have never had a crash that has written off an aircraft...

I had a friend come over today and ask if I could take him out so he could see my GWS P51 Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll" fly...

I agreed, the weather was fairly calm and skies slightly over cast...

Upon arriving at the field, I set things up and had him hand launch my Mustang...It flew around fine for the first five minutes, then I did a few snap rolls ( nothing too harsh ) I then went quite deep into the field ( Top Side ) then came back for a high speed pass, I then proceeded to go into a slight climb and then did a gentle oval roll ( Victory Roll )....as I rolled back to the right and level I poured on the throttle and pulled back on the stick....

This is when it happened, I pulled back a little too fast and it went into what we call a "high speed stall" or "snap" the starboard wing dropped and it spun out of control, I was over a very large baseball backstop and it came in behind the backstop but right down on top of the parks perimeter fence pretty much wide open...

When I got there, the plane was still hanging in the chain link fence by its servo wires and ESC wires, the Lithium battery was 15' away laying in the middle of the road that parallels the length of the park...

I hoped all the electronics were ok, but was upset to learn I had hit the spinner so hard into the bar of the fence I pushed the shaft of my Himaxx 2025-4200 back inside the motor and it had seized and now will not turn or work in any way...( Smells Like it burned up from the impact)

All the servos were ok so was the receiver and ESC...

I'm going to miss that plane...we were just getting to know or understand each other...

Name:	Sq46438.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	205456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39159.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	205457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94016.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	205458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56448.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	205459  
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Tracon

More Pictures...

Name:	Ec87335.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	205460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37069.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	205461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58275.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	205462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45813.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	205463  
Old 12-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Tracon

Last ones..

Name:	Ig12747.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	205467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36711.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	205468  
Old 12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

I would glass these things, add dual carbon tubes down the fuselage and dual carbon tubes in the wings, overall I be you would add 3-4oz if you can glass these pretty well with a limited amount of epoxy!!! Personally I would buy the Formosa, its a better Design and a better flyer in my mind, The P-51 looks great and flys fast, and thats about it......The formosa is that and also is a very good aerobat, It's a better plane overall, unless you have a thing fro warbirds!! Good Luck,

PS here was my Formosa(sold)---now im into the 3d planes(Tensor 4D) and My FT 90........
Himax 2025-5300, Cobri Gearbox(6.6 to 1), 3s 2100 mah TP lipo, CC-25, dual aileron servos-----Fast , vertical launch, nice precision aerobat!!!!
They have really good Videos of this plane and combo over at e-flightline,
[link=http://www.e-flightline.com/movies/Formosa%20Dave.wmv]Formosa Video![/link]

Name:	Jg14021.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	205683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84664.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	205684  
Old 12-23-2004, 03:10 AM
SBR_RV

well tracon, sorry for the loss, my mustang was flyong uround nicly just after i went to the trouble of strenghening the gear. i was flying inverted for about two seconds and the wing departed the fuse, it mustve been working its way loose because i have flow inverted circuits with it before. the thing that sucked was i had a decent amount of height benith the wings and the fuse was travelling very quickly when it hit, so quik that the spinner had buried its self benith the ground level, all the motor mount gearbox were all well exept for the motor, but to my luck, it was only a cheap GWS 350, so the wing floated down not damaged at all, the fuse in half with other peices brocken of , tail plane perfectly good., electronics were fine, hehe the battery was shoved in the front so hard that i had to stick a ruler in the engine bay to reach the battery to puch it out, i had to uch so hard that it put rinkles in the foam, took me three times to get it out.
so it WAS all glued together ready to go again, but this time leaving painful gear of the plane.
a helper gave it a chuck and it was away, but way to tail heavy, and with ailerons extremly sensitive (my fault got it down though) so i got the CG right and ailerons right, gave it another chuck and it flew very nicly, flew around for about five mins landed to see what it was like landing, it nice to land.
again we gave it another throw and the battery mustv moved back because again it was tail heavy. came around for another landing at stalling speed, it stalled dropped a wing ten feet of the ground, got out of the stall, but unfortuently it droped a wing again to close to recover, smake, broke the fuse in half[:@].
but good news, its back together again, but with the battery stuck in with velcro also, havent flown since the crash 2 days ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.