Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

single or double wing foamy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:05 AM
strulag
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single or double wing foamy?

I see there are a bunch of foamy bi-planes coming out. What are the pros and cons of biplanes over single wing foamys? I wanna get one asap and want to make an informed decision. THX
Old 12-20-2004, 08:01 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: single or double wing foamy?

I personally think biplanes in general are making a comeback. They are not the sluggesh,nonperformance airplanes they use to be. I am building a fancy foam ultimate, my sons building a Raptor biplane and my brothers building a E flight ultimate. I personally think biplanes look better doing the manuvers. They are definately stronger just because of 2 wings and all the struts and things.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the foamy bi-planes fly as easy as the single wing foamy? Are they as nimble also? Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-20-2004, 09:27 AM
edge_pilot

yes on all accounts. I don't beleave there is anything the biplane will do the single wing can't and vise versa.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:17 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I'm a huge biplane fan. I have many ultimates. I think the biplanes are much more stable in the air than monowing designs. Also with a shorter tail, it seems as if they can pull much tighter loops. The knife-edge is also far superior to monowing designs in my opinion. The cabane's act like wings during knife-edge flight resulting in tail up knife-edge instead of tail-down dragging knife-edge like the monowing designs.

Plus, seeing a biplane roll, looks much cooler than monowing designs. There is just something about seeing those two wings rotating in sync.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 PM
strulag
My Feedback: (-1)

You guys still didn't point out if there are any advantages to flying bipes...especially in the foam ones.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
edge_pilot

I did point 1 good thing out, they are stronger. I beleave you have more roll authority just because of the 4 large ailerons. other than that I think is just really preferance.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
freedom_7_7

there are a few other things that bipes have on monos....first they are less effected by the wind in a hover because one wing blocks the other from it....less span and generally smaller in comparison to the wing area(more compact)....you can use a shorter landing gear rod(lighter and stronger)....and your ailerons don't divert your thrust away from your tail surfaces in a roll....as far as I know the only down fall is the 5 minutes of extra time that it takes to hinge those 2 extra ailerons....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
tony_kilwein

I have the tiger moth 400 with himax 4200-25 3cell lipo gerbox 6:1 11:80 prop and it is a blast!!!
It has a moderate sink rate but it handles the wind 20-25 fine. does not buffet like the slow stickor some others.
It has no tendancy to tip stall as of yet. I have put in a full length carbon rod in the wings to support the
extra forces I put on it with the himax motor, as when going full stick and doing a 180 tends to bow the wings.
I have made a biplane out of sheet foam and it flys great also.
They seem to handle the wind better, so I get more time in when I can.

Tony
Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 AM
theHarpmanDan

hello,
I have the gws Pt-17. It has only 2 ailerons, so does not roll fast. It is very scale like with the stock motor. I found it to be very stable and a good aerobatic trainer. With my model motors mini ac, 3 cell 2100 thunder power, 3.8:1 planetary gearbox, and a 10 x 4.7 apc, the stearman becomes a rocket with 2 wings! At close to 2 to 1 power to weight, it is not surprising you can climb out of any trouble.

The down side of biplanes is the extra drag the second wing creates. I have found it is not as good in the wind. You should never fly in wind with stock motor. If you do have a brushless setup, you can try to fly in the wind. It just does not like to penatrate. Biplanes are slow compared to monoplanes. When compared to a flying wing monoplanes and biplanes suck in the wind....get a flying wing for windy days

"when the airplanes come in (due to wind), the flying wings come out"

theHarpmanDan