Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Brushless F-27 Stryker

Old 02-08-2005, 05:09 PM
murbahn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless F-27 Stryker

Just put an ALIGN 2500KV brushless motor on a 2 cell lipoly in my Stryker. The thing screams - easily 80+ MPH climbing! I reinforced the wing bottoms with some clear tape and have had no problem pulling extremely high G manuevers. I'm currently running a 6 X 5 prop but have run a 7 X 5 as well at 19 amp and 25 amp pulls repsectively.

This is an outstanding airplane when you give the thing the right power package.

By the way, I was quite successful for awhile flying the Stryker as is "out of the box" on 14.8 volts using 2 1500 2 cell lipolys in series and a 6 x 4 prop. Not nearly as quick (or efficient) as my current brushless but much better than on 7 nimh cells! Eventually burned out the motor after 20 or so flights as well as the stock speed control.

Now I need to find a way to hook up the combat module to my receiver and brushless controller.

Trey
Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 PM
woodduck-RCU

Default RE: Brushless F-27 Stryker

I hope you get some feedback on hooking up the combat module. I fly a Stryker with a Mega 16/15/4 and my buddy uses the Align 2500 like you. This plane was made for brushless!! Ihope we can setup the combat module, I will watch this thread with much interest.
Have you had any problem with the Align trying to push itself open in a pusher setup? My buddy had a crash and ever since he has had to use a wire tie to keep the case together. What are you using for servos? I have used Hitec 81mg but went to Futaba S3102 which increased the holding torque from 36 oz/in to 51 oz/in.
Come on you wiring geniuses help Murbahn and myself connect the combat module!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:43 PM
mklmbrt

I also fly the stryker with a brushless setup. I am using a Himax 2815-3000 with a 6X6 prop, and this plane can really move. I think the plane is a little heavy because I am using a 3 cell 4200maH lithium, but I can fly for quite awhile. I have also flown this plane in the original configuration, and it was fun but it was a weak. I am wanting to use the combat module as well and will try to do some research. I would like to do some testing on my original electronics that came with the plane but I burnt it up. If I find anything out I will let you know.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
JAYNC
My Feedback: (7)

I put the multiplex 480 4d direct drive motor on mine with a 5x5" prop and it was slow. What kind of props are you guys using with the best results. How big of a prop are you fitting in between the fins. I pull around 17 amps with a 5X5 so I can go up around 25 amps and get more speed out of this thing. Yes it would be awesome if someone could make something work on the combat module. Even if you had to use the gear channel switch or something to turn it on it would still be more fun than the doggy stock version. Thanks Guys
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 PM
SFC Hiatt

I'm a little clueless but it that without a gearbox?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:31 AM
JAYNC

yes the multiplex is a direct drive motor. I put a 6x5.5 on it and got the amps up to 25 so I will see if there is any improvement this weekend.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
woodduck-RCU

I would recheck your cg after adding the Multiplex brushless it is heavier than the stock motor .
The 480 weigh about 3.5 oz and the Multiplex is about 4.2 oz.
The Multiplex works best with a 5.5 x4.75 prop.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
JAYNC

I tried a few different props and all of them are like flying it stock. I am pulling the multiplex off and am going to burn it. Its the worst motor I have ever seen. I think I could get more power out of a 2025 himax
Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 PM
toomunsch

I'm currently working on a brushless setup that would retain the combat capability. I am installing a Mega 16/25/3 (I know it's a little heavy) and I believe a possible solution is to run 2 receivers. Another receiver tuned to the same freq would control the ESC for the brushless while a parallel battery harness would supply power to both systems. I am an electrician by trade and by no means an electronics wiz . Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Pyrock

I just finished my custom Stryker and just waiting on the drive items. I ordered the following:

Mega 16/25/4
CC Phoenix 35 ESC
TP 3 cell 2100mAh lipo
6x5.5 prop (& a 6x5)

Any ideas on the performance and flight times I should expect? Btw, I reiforced the motor mount area by sandwiching the rear with apoxied balsa. (strong and relatively light)

toomunsch,

Why would you need two esc's? Are you using the stock electronics? I will be running a CC Phoenix 35 ESC and was told it can handle the 3 cell TP lipo... But what do I know, I'm used to flying a Superflea with a Phoenix 10 and a 2 cell 700 mAh.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 PM
toomunsch

Pyrock - I suggested the 2 esc's as a possible way of using the original F27 FM 27 mhz radio to retain combat capability while upgrading to a brushless setup. I realize the advantages of using a computer radio (I have a Futaba 7 channel) and will probably end up using that, but just for kicks I ordered a 27 mhz receiver and will let you know if it works.

As for your brushless setup - Motocalc indicates the system will draw 9 amps, produce 79 watts, 10.8 oz thrust, 13000 rpm w/6x5.5 , 14 min duration at full throttle. This is only slightly better performance than stock except for the duration which is much more. If you used a 7x6 prop your current is up to 15A and you are producing 17.6 oz thrust. I am trying the 3 turn motor with a 6.5x4 prop which allegedly draws 18.9A and produces 22 oz thrust. We'll see what happens...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Pyrock

Toomunsch,

That explains it. I figured you were talking about the stock set up.

As far as your Motocalc number, they seem a bit low because I copied the setup from others on this board who used a similar set up and they say it screams and goes like a raped ape. Regardless, I may get 7x6 prop or 7x7 but I dont want to fry anything. Sorry to mooch off your Motocalc but what is the most aggressive prop I can use while still be within the specs of my electronic system??

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 PM
toomunsch

Motocalc obviously isn't real world but is surprisingly accurate for predicting current, watts (power), etc. I have confirmed this many times with a Whattmeter. You have a pretty high amp setup - motor good to 25A, esc 35A surge 50A, batt 25A surge 33A, but my calcs don't seem to get up too high within the confines of the pusher setup - about 7" max dia prop. Also, more pitch doesn't always mean more speed. A 7x5 prop seems better than 7x6 - less amps and about the same thrust. Also don't forget to rebalance the plane - your batt is about the same wt as stock but the motor is a little heavier. Mine balanced at 6" from TE by motor
Old 02-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Hagar69

Combat module with any TX/RX:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159

For old SCM's:
http://www.rc-cam.com/combat.htm

and for new ones:
http://www.rc-cam.com/combat2.htm

--
Hagar
Old 02-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Pyrock

Toomunsch,

This is what others had to say about the Mega 4-turn motor with a 3cell lipo. This is what convinced me to go that route:

"Be ready to go vertical. I don't care what anyone says, the Stryker runnning on 3cell lipoly and Mega 16/15/4 is just wicked. I saw an earlier posting on knife edges and I really did not have a problem with low altitude knife edges. Give it a shot, and let's get some more photos on line of our custom stykers!"

I found it here:
http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=5&pp=15

I chose the 16/25/4 because someone said the battery would run cooler due to the higher amp rating. What's your take?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM
toomunsch

I think your setup will be fine - but based on the numbers I'm running (and that alone), I think the 3 turn motor is better for this application. You have to take this all with a grain of salt cuz as I said, it's not real world - you never really know how it will perform until you fly it , there are too many variables. If others have tried that setup and it's performing well then I think you have a tested, proven combination. Mine might turn out to be overkill, who knows? Look at the Mega website and their numbers pretty much confirm the ones I'm seeing. The 4 turn motor with a 6.5x4 prop draws 11.5A, 14000rpm. The 3 turn same prop: 18.6A, 17480 rpm. This is based on a 9 cell batt, similar to a 3 cell lipo. The stock motor on 7 cells draws 10A, 10800 rpm. You have more voltage, more current, more rpm with a bigger prop - I'm sure it will go vertical! I just think the 3 turn will go more vertical. The more amps you draw the more heat you produce. I think what they are saying is a larger battery with more capacity and physical area will run cooler and I concur. Did you see that guys post about the combat electronics? sounds like that problem is solved.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Pyrock

Thanks Toomunsch,

You are providing a wealth of info. My 6/25/4 is already on it's way otherwise, I would have ordered the 6/15/3 motor. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be more than enough for me. If I need more umph than what I already have, I may go with a 4 cell 2600 mAh battery and a 7x7 prop. I heard this combo, although pretty hefty, is like a ROCKET...to the tune of 54ish oz. of thrust. [X(]
Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 PM
toomunsch

I don't know where these numbers are coming from but the 4 cell battery might be the hot ticket here. Motocalc shows your motor with a 4 cell TP 2100 draws 25.4A, 15000 rpm, 27oz thrust with 7x7. This is very doable. These specs are more inline with your setup . Remember an electric motor is most efficient when at it's max rated load. You could easily wire (2) 7.4 2 cell batts in series to achieve this, or I suppose TP could make one for you (matched cells, etc). The only other consideration is room / wt. Keep me posted on this. PS I don't mind checking all this stuff out - I'm learning a lot from it too.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Pyrock

I got those numbers here:

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthrea...&page=23&pp=15

My only problem is that my charger only charges up to 3 cells[] so, for now, I'm sticking to my 3cell 2100. At least, I know where to go if I want more umph.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:32 PM
toomunsch

Thanks much for the info. Have you tried the combat module?
Old 02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Hagar69

Me and a friend have stock Strykers and sonic combat modules (SCM), I can highly reccomend the SCM. It is great fun and brings another dimension to flying. It is like watching top-gun when we chase each other. The modules work well, it is not too hard or too easy to get a hit. We usually manage to hit each other 2-3 times during a 6-7 minutes session. The specs says that the motor cuts for 10 seconds when hit, this is not correct, it only cuts for about 5-6 seconds. It should have been 10 secs as it is usually easy to just glide for 5-6 secs while 10 probably would force the hit plane to land. But still, great fun!

--
Hagar
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Pyrock

Just picked up an RTF Stryker while I wait for some parts for my custom brushless Stryker. In stock form, the Stryker is pretty smooth compared to my Superflea. I was able to do some loops and a few circuts around the field but then, like an idiot, I flew into the sun and lost her for a few vital seconds. When I got her back into view, she was nose diving. Since I was under 100ft., I couldn't recover and down she went into 3 pieces. I glued it back together and may try again today.

As for the first flight, I found it very stable and pretty quick in stock form. Not "fast" but pretty quick nonetheless. I just wish I had the power to pull out of the death dive I got myself into. I cant wait to try my custom stryker and go vert. Just waiting for the Mega and Phoenix 35 speed controller.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:50 PM
toomunsch

I've only been flying for 2 yrs and for me the Stryker is a little squirrely if I'm not giving it 100% concentration. I'm hoping some expo and mixing will smooth out the brushless mutant. My experience with balsa parkflyers (Mountain Models mostly) has been they are much easier to fly when overpowered - even when I was starting out. You can easily pull out of stalls etc. I hope the same is true of the Stryker. Sorry you crashed, but don't we all? Easy to fix though, usually. I got some HS81 servos today and am going to set it up and program the radio this weekend - still waiting on 4S batt . Can't wait to see what I can break! By the way, Pyrock, after a marathon Motocalc session, I've found the 4 turn motor best for lower current draw and up to 27 oz thrust (that's a lot) - but it's done on 4 cells. If you want more, the 3 turn motor can do it but amps are high - starting to get impractical for 2100 mAh batts. The 3 turn can get practically identical numbers to the 4 but with a smaller prop. Once again, this is only on cyberpaper and might not mean sheet. I think those guys on rcgroups are full of it when talking about 50 - 60 oz thrust. I'm going to cobble up some kind of setup to measure it and see what's really going on.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Pyrock

I think you're right. The numbers on RCGroups seems a bit high. I just set up my Mega 4 turn and put on a 7x6 prop. I ran it while holding it in my hand and it has some good umph to it...way more than the stocker. I will mount it this weekend and get a feel of it. I'm not going to fly it until I get more stick time on my stocker. I flew it today for two batteries and managed not to break anything. Well, the rear canopy actually blew off and took the prop clean off. I managed to land the crippled Stryker with no further damage. A few more flights to build confidence and I'll be ready for the brushless. I think the extra power will actually make it easier to fly. The stocker seems to struggle when climbing.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:54 PM
toomunsch

I was setting up the radio and see there is an option for aileron differential. Do you use any or have you heard if others do for this setup? if so how much? Motor sounds wicked! you are braver than me if you hold that motor and run it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.