Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie

Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie

I've been flying a nitro heli and planes up to now, and finally decided I wanted to make a foamie park flier. I've made several nitro SPADs, and even one brushed electric SPAD that was pitifully underpowered. I found plans for this "SPAD" foamie on http://www.spadtothebone.com , and decided to have a go at it. It's made from Bluecor foam (found at Lowes), plastic molding track for hardwood flooring (found at Home Depot), and some 3/8" square balsa used for the motor mount and to give the plastic molding track fuse some rigidity. My setup is very similar to what the prototype was in the plans, except for a little hotter motor . Here's my setup :

-Castle Creations Phoenix 25 ESC
-Himax 2812-850 outrunner motor
-APC 10X7E prop
-Great Planes 1500mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo pack
-Hitec HS-55 Servos
-Hitec Feather RX (may upgrade to dual conversion micro RX if this thing sucks )

Himax claims this setup is good for a max of 160W and 29oz of thrust... my foamie SPAD weighs in at only 15.4oz, so it should pretty much haul and do some vertical if asked too! It originally weighed in at 14.6oz, but I had to add some lead weight to the tail to balance it. I was hoping to maiden her this weekend, but it looks like we're due for some high winds, so maybe have to wait a little while longer .

Here are some pictures of her if you're interested. She's no beauty queen right now... just raw Bluecor with the printing on the outside (that's how the piece I cut was already folded), but after I fly her a few times and get her trimmed out, I plan to give here a nice high contrast paint job...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94696.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	242466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36211.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	242467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43439.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	242468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93207.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	242469  
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 AM
RCM IRAQ

Default RE: My first foamie... a SPAD Foamie

HI ,
SHOW US MORE AND MORE OF SUCH CREATIVE DESIGNS
I LIKED IT
Old 03-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Woody 51

The Hitec Rx should be o.k. But if you have problems with it, have a look at the new BERG D.S.T. Micro.
D.S.T is sort of like Dual Conversion PCM mode, but on single conversion.
Berg use a Motorola Microprocessor to filter the signal.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 AM
RC-Captain

Nice ...Let us know how it flies. Did it balance ok. and how much does it weigh with everything installed ?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:19 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

The Feather receiver WILL give you trouble; worse receiver ever![:@] I have a Berg and it works fine.[sm=lol.gif]I know others that have had trouble with the Berg.[]My standard receiver now is the HiTech Electron 6.[sm=idea.gif]I leave it as is for bigger planes and to save weight, I remove the plastic case for the small stuff.[sm=biggrin.gif]I replace the case with shrink tube.[sm=bananahead.gif]D'oh!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:08 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Nice ...Let us know how it flies. Did it balance ok. and how much does it weigh with everything installed ?

my foamie SPAD weighs in at only 15.4oz
It originally weighed in at 14.6oz, but I had to add some lead weight to the tail to balance it

Old 03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
-pkh-

Well, I maidened her today... wind was only about 5mph with some gusts up to maybe 10 max. Perfect for nitro planes, but it made it a bit interesting for flying a foamie the first time! It flew pretty well, but I only got one flight in. I got her trimmed out and had a few minutes to just fly around and get the feel of it. When I brought it in for a landing, I had killed the throttle a few seconds before, but the prop was still spooling down, and it snapped the motor shaft off when I set it down! Turns out, this motor only has a 1/8" shaft, and it's known to snap pretty easily. I found out that Himax has upgraded their later versions of this motor with a much thicker shaft... in fact I picked one of these newer motors up today at a swap meet held in Lebanon, PA. I'm going to see if Himax will upgrade my 1/8" shaft or swap motors out for me... let you know how that goes!

This plane is not nearly as overpowered as I thought it would be... I flew around at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle just trimming it out and flying around at a moderate speed. Definitely needed some power flying into the wind today!

As far as the Hitec Feather RX goes, it worked just fine, as long as I'm flying pretty much on my own in local parks, I'll probably just leave it on there. If I find myself flying it at the club very much, with several other TXs active on adjacent channels, I might put an Electron 6 on it instead.

I'll give you more of an update when I get some more flights in on it, and get a chance to do some mild aerobatics with it. But so far I'm very pleased with it... after flying my nitro "slimers", it's pretty cool to have a small, clean, quiet, park flyer to mess around with!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:41 PM
whiteghostUK

Will the motor run with a prop saver / this will allow the prop to move NOT snap on landing !! []

Old 03-12-2005, 06:10 PM
-pkh-

Yeah, the motor actually came with a prop saver adapter, and I originally planned to use it, but it came with the wrong size screws to mount it! I heard some other guys say that those prop saver adapter sucked, and they just used the collet type adapters, so I bought one of those. If I reprogram the ESC, I should be able to stop the prop much quicker, and not have to worry about it... I guess I'll see! The new version of the motor (with the thicker shaft) came with a collet adapter and a prop saver, so maybe I'll give the prop saver a try. I guess in this case, it's more of a motor saver adapter!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:32 AM
lmopar69

Cool plane. Just a dumb question, when you build one from scratch like that, how do you get the airfoil shape right? I would suppose that in most plans it tells you how, but I rarely have time (in Iraq and internet time is short) to look for any plans. Also, what type of foam do most people use to scratch build planes? What is the foam you used normally used for? I have a Zagi Tazz over here that was donated to me thanks to Greg Covey, (check out "OPERATION R/C" in the electric general discussion forum) but building a plane with the electronics left from my destroyed GP Slinger might be fun.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
-pkh-

Imopar69...

Airfoil shape is not critical... you'd be surprised what can actually fly pretty well! For planes with wing spars, you just place the spar where the plans indicate (usually spec'd a certain distance from the leading edge), and just fold the wing material (foam, in this case) over the spar and glue the trailing edge of the wing. Depending on how hard you pull back on the top when you fold it over the spar, you can end up with a flat-bottomed airfoil (not pulling hard) or a semi-symmetric airfoil (pulling harder, and actually curving the bottom leading edge upward). This was a spar-less wing design, and the plans didn't spec the exact location of the airfoil peak, so I just looked at the plan photos and eyeballed it. I actually put in a yardstick as a temporary spar when I folded this wing and glued it. This gave me a little thicker airfoil than the plans spec'd, which I believe will produce more lift, and hence a little more drag. I'm sure there are some optimal shapes for airfoils, but after building a few SPADs (with Corplast, or corrugated plastic folded wings) I've come to realize that you can screw up several details of the wing's shape, and not really notice anything in flight.

The foam is Dupont Bluecor Fan-Fold foam, used for insulation in houses, not sure exactly where though. It is used because it is relatively cheap (although you have to buy a large bundle of it) and readily available at home improvement stores like Lowes. Here's a link to the stuff on Lowes' website...

[link=http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15346-46086-CP-14-LOW]Dupont Bluecor Foam at Lowes[/link]
Old 03-13-2005, 05:42 PM
whiteghostUK

Even if the prop stops before landing will it stop horizontally or vertically or somewhere inbetween ????

With the prop saver you don't usually break the prop or motor as it is held on with a elastic band which just

stretches when the prop is put under pressure

Old 03-13-2005, 09:11 PM
-pkh-

I belly land nitro planes regularly, and as long as the prop doesn't hit dead on 90 degress from the ground, it just rotates as the plane skids onto the ground. Timing the prop on the nitro engine helps ensure you don't get it dead on 90 degrees (straight up and down). With the electric, you can't really time it, so if I kill the motor and it's within 10 degrees or so from vertical, I'd have to bump the throttle again and odds are it will stop at enough of an angle to rotate instead of break. I figure the "break" zone is +/- 10 degress from vertical for either side of the prop, so thats 40 degrees out of 360 or a 1 in 9 chance of stopping vertical.

It's possible that the electric motor shafts will be much more fragile and the +/- 10 degrees may not be enough, but I don't think this will be the case. I flew the foamy again today, and ended up nosing it in with the new "thick shaft" motor [:'(] ... I got too bold too soon and dumb thumbed it into the ground doing some low loops! The thicker shaft on this motor survived, unbroken and unbent... so I'd say that this thicker shaft should take a +/- 10 degree prop landing. Hopefully on my next flight I can actually test this theory! In this crash, I just broke the balsa stick mount, metal motor mount bracket, and bent the aluminum prop adapter... luckily I have spares from my other two motors (I have 3 of these Himax 2812-850s now, two with the thick shafts, and one with the thin shaft that snapped), so I'll be back in the air tomorrow if weather and work permit...
Old 03-14-2005, 05:58 AM
lmopar69

Thanks for the info on the foam. I might have to try to build a plane over here.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
irie-RC

I have a kit given to me years ago by my friend Eddie.The kit has a fiberglass fuse, foam wing and stabilizers. I have never used foam. Imagine the kit has no instructions. The kit looks like a pattern plane. I seriously need some help in putting it together. I was told this kit was manufactured somewhere in TN long long time ago. Plans?
Thank you