Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

magpie tweaking

Old 04-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magpie tweaking

For those MM Magpie enthusiasts out there, I need a little help. My magpie is a great plane, but since putting on the sport wing, i've notice that it just wants to fly straight up at full power and keeps wanting to roll right. I'm running the stock GWS 350C motor on KAN 1050s. I know that the magpie requires a lot of downforce and a little right thrust, but could having too much right thrust and not enough down thrust make it perform this way? I already ensured that the ailerons were level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 AM

Default RE: magpie tweaking

I know with mine, when I tried to get it to glide level, the minute I hit the throttle it would go almost straight up. I set mine to fly more level under power and use up elevator when gliding. As far as the wants to go right, rudder and ailerons are centered~? I just adjusted mine to fly straight..sorry can't be more help. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:05 PM

To adjust it to fly more level under power, did you input elevator trim on your tx or did you adjust the pushrod length?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:35 PM

I have a Futaba 7CHP so I just trimmed it, didn't want to mess with making adjustments for when I switch over to the SF wing. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 PM

I had a problem like that and had a ***** of a time getting the CG right.
I am using a brushless/lipo 3cell setup and the only way I could get the CG fixed was
to add a AA battery as weight to the front of the plane!
I looked on RC groups and saw some guys even mounted their battery on top of the
front of the fuselage.
Maybe its just me, but it seems like the design of the plane, if you are using a lipo battery,
makes it way too tail heavy. I finally, after a couple of flights, stacked it up because it was
so hard to control.
Mountain Models sent me a new fuselage and tail feathers so I am going to try again but,
I have a feeling that its going to come out tail heavy again.
How did your CG work out with your system?
Sounds like yours is tail heavy too...
Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 PM

I just taped my lipo to the bottom, doesn't look the greatest but works. I pushed the landing gear way up toward the nose, and my kokams ride right in front of the leading edge. Balances out well, and flies great. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:51 PM

Gottcha.
However I think its a shame that they can't be mounted in a slot under the wing.
Doesn't mean it won't fly good, just a flakey design.
At first I thought I was overlooking something until I saw that almost everyone
was mounting their batteries way up front.
Half expected to see someone mount them on the prop!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Jerseymac

Gottcha.
However I think its a shame that they can't be mounted in a slot under the wing.
Doesn't mean it won't fly good, just a flakey design.
At first I thought I was overlooking something until I saw that almost everyone
was mounting their batteries way up front.
Half expected to see someone mount them on the prop!
No...that would be the 3DX that I built. The batteries needed to be mounted right up against the motor. =)
Old 04-25-2005, 02:28 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one having this problem. I was ok until I put on the sport wing then my problems started. Went back to th SF wing and it's still off. Somehow the CG has really gotten off. I'm running a 3cell lipo and bl motor. Went full power today and it went straight up like it wanted to hover. Had a rough time getting it down. Not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll send Doug @mountainmodels and email and see what he suggests. I think they are at SEFF or on their way back.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Sorry I've been away so long. I'm just now recovering from SEFF.

If the MP is nosing up under power, you need to angle the motor down more. The Magpie, like any plane, is a series of compromises and I was looking for some serious stability. Mounting the wing high helps but then requires the down thrust.

Regarding the battery, with all the battery choices, there are too many mounting options. I could cut a hole in the fuse but that would only work for one battery weight. You also have to be careful about battery cooling. The foam is a great insulator.

If you have any problems with the Magpie, please feel free to contact me. I want to make sure you have success with our products.

Doug
Mountain Models