Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Tail heavy or just right?

Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail heavy or just right?

I know how it feels to fly a tail-heavy "conventional" model, but what would a "tail-heavy" wing fly like? I flew my Viper Twin yesterday, and I think the balance is right. It was very gusty, and the wing tips were going up and down from the wind (I'm pretty sure). Landings were not too fast, just nice. But the model did seem to want to tip its wings easily (and therefore turn). I couldn't be sure if these were gusts of wind, or the plane really wanted to tip its wing (again, not optimal maiden flight conditions). I don't think these were tip stalls (where the nose goes up, you lose speed, and you drop a wing tip). But it is hard to tell for me with a foam wing model.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tail heavy or just right?

Afraid your going to have to wait for a better day. Just about impossible to trim out a plane let alone check for CG. in the wind. Pretty much the same method as a conventional plane except the GC point is a little more sensitive on a wing. Should slow down pretty good for landing as the wing loading is usually less than a conventional plane. To much elevator throw can cause tipstall as well as rearward CG.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Afraid your going to have to wait for a better day. Just about impossible to trim out a plane let alone check for CG. in the wind. Pretty much the same method as a conventional plane except the GC point is a little more sensitive on a wing. Should slow down pretty good for landing as the wing loading is usually less than a conventional plane. To much elevator throw can cause tipstall as well as rearward CG.
Thanks for the tips, Flypaper 2. I had read that the Viper Twin flys pretty well in some wind, but I know you can't trim a plane like that. I was a little shocked how the plane got jostled around by the wind, but hey, it's foam, and can't weigh 2 lbs I'm guessing. I do have a lot of elevator throw. We'll try again on a calm day.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:56 PM

Another point too, Paul. The more forward the CG, the more throw you need and vice versa. For instance, on a ten foot loop, it would take so much el. throw. On rearward CG may take half as much throw for the same size. Or with the same throw, it would likely snap out of the loop.Also I like to set up the inside and outside loops with the servo endpoints so that the loops are the same size. That way when you do horizontal 8s they are the same size. Just cheating a bit
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Another point too, Paul. The more forward the CG, the more throw you need and vice versa. For instance, on a ten foot loop, it would take so much el. throw. On rearward CG may take half as much throw for the same size. Or with the same throw, it would likely snap out of the loop.Also I like to set up the inside and outside loops with the servo endpoints so that the loops are the same size. That way when you do horizontal 8s they are the same size. Just cheating a bit
Good stuff, Flypaper 2. I do have this thing just barely noseheavy, and I did give myself a lot of available throw, plus I didn't put in any expo--all this probably adding to the tough time I had controlling the plane. The wing was coming at me a few times, when I was just trying to do some gentle circles!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM

What does a snap roll look like on a flying wing? I just got a small one and it seems to fly great untill I try to pull up too fast. At that point it starts into a spiral, a snap maybe? I've tried changing end point adjustments in case the problem was uneven throws, but that didn't seem to help at all.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:13 AM

To do a snaproll, full up el. and ail. at the same time. the more rearward the CG, the more violent the snap. Can put you in a bad spot if your close to the ground and do a panic up el. Quickest half roll and into the ground you've ever seen To find the limit, do a big loop and gradually keep making it smaller till it snaps then note where the stick is. Land it then move the stick to the same place. Now you know how much throw it takes to make it snap. Now set up the servo arms or control horns to get a little less throw. Better to set your computer end points to 100% and set the throws mechanically. Use the comp to fine tune it. Mind you these throws will change as you change the CG. The more rearward the CG the less throw needed.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:46 PM

Thanks, that does help. I will have to give it a try