Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Shockie Questions

Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockie Questions

I'm thinking about getting an Ikarus Edge 540 shockie. Is it a good shockie? I have a Mini Funtana for my electric collection and I didn't like the gearbox thing. So now for a couple questions.

How do they fly? Do they come to a point were there really difficult to control if you lose control.

Do they fly smoothly? Or do you have to have alot of speed to keep them in the air?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyways
Is there a gearbox involved?(I don't like the gearbox thing at all if you haven't noticed)

Does it take alot to keep them in a steady hover?

How do they do at the other 3D aerobatics like rolling cirlces and flat spins and stuff like that?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Shockie Questions

I have several of the Ikarus shockies and really enjoy them. Rather than getting one of the first generation shockies though I'd spend a few more bucks and get one of the new designs (Nemesis, F3A or Yak). These are built of a slightly heavier foam but have a much better, more robust design. They're quite a bit less "twitchy" also. The other Ikarus shockies (Superstar, Edge, Extra) don't fly as much like "real" planes as the newer design. Go with one of the recommended outrunner direct drive motors and you'll have a ball!!

Tim
Old 05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Thank you very much aggie84. I priced it for absolutely everything that I need and if I get the Yak I will save $8.

How easy is it to hover the Yak and will it do it with the recommended outrunner motor on Hobby-Lobby's website, will I still have suffecient pull out if I get into trouble?

Once again i'm pretty sure it doesn't but does it have a gearbox? (sorry for the stupid questions, I don't know much about electrics and I want to get what it want you know)

Is there a better NEW shockie than the YAK?

I like that it supposed to fly slower but will affect 3D aerobatics?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 11:59 PM

If you see the word "Outrunner", these motors are non-geared. I believe these are the new version Shockflyers, since the original ones were slightly smaller in size, and use thinner depron. Good luck.