Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

what happened to my apache 2500 charger

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

what happened to my apache 2500 charger

Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happened to my apache 2500 charger

I bought a apache 2500 charger from hobby lobby at the e-fly in here in Memphis, TN about 3 months ago. I have charge li-pos with it less than 20 times. I am trying to recharge my lipos and the green power light comes on. all that I get is the charge/error light just blinks. It starts blinking as soon as I connect the charger to the lipo. all I have is 3 cell lipos. My lipos show that I h have 10.96volts and the other shows 11.5 volts under 1/2 amp load.

I check the output of my power supply and it shows it putting out 13.2volts. I tried using my riding lawn mower battery, it shows by a volt meter it has 13.6 volts. I tried my field box battery is showing 12.8volts, and I tried my truck battery. So I know its not input power.

so what can be wrong with my batterys or charger.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:43 AM
bentgear

Default RE: what happened to my apache 2500 charger

If both the little clips (# cells and charge rate) are in the right places and making contact I bet its the charger gone bad. Several of them in use around here but none have given any problems. Been using mine for about a year, several times per week.

Ed M.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 AM
m.gramling

thanks, that is what I thought, I need to get in contact w/ hobbylobby or the manufactor and send it in for repair.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Woody 51

There is nothing wrong with the charger.
What it is telling you is that the cells in you LIPO Packs are out of balance.
In other words, 1 cell is not accepting the same amount of charge as the other(s)
For example, 1 cell is only accepting say 3.5 volts and the other( s) 3.7volts.
The Apache is a sensetive charger and will detect this and refuse to charge the pack. This is a safety default built into the charger.
I have been through this before a couple of times with Polyquest packs.
How to fix?
I had to use a different charger ( a Platinum Ex) and charge up each cell in the pack individually.
Then do a combo discharge and a combo recharge.
This fixed the problem o.k. and the packs are back in action and now charge up quite ok on the Apache.
Good luck
Old 05-23-2005, 07:25 PM
m.gramling

I forgot to mention that on saturday, I took it to the field, and hooked my batteries up to a friends apache 2500 and it started charging them instantly. I tried each of my batteries on 2 differant charges w/ no problems. But when I hooked the batteries up to my charger all it does is set there and blink.

well that good for the charger for the safety feature. So now I still have to go out and buy or borrow a triton, which nobody is going to let me borrow their charger for a few days. To fix the problem of my li-pos being out fo balance that have less than 3 charges a piece on them. If I would have know that I would have bought the triton to begin with.

I do appreciate the help.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:46 AM
m.gramling

Way to go Hobby Lobby. I called hobbylobby and told them what was going on a a tuesday w/ the charger on Tuesday May 23. They told me to send it in, and they would look at it. I mailed in in on Wednesday may 25. I called them the following wednesday, just to make sure they got it. And they said they mailed me a new charger out on May 26. Even before they got my original charger back. They said I would have the replacement charger in a few days. So I got my replacement charger on friday June 3.

Way to go Hobby lobby. You defefintely exceeded my expectations w/ great customer service. You replaced a defective charger what was about 20-30 days out of warranty. and mailed me a new charger before you got my old one. I don' t know of anybody else that would do that. I will definefitly recommend and will buy from again.