Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Yay! my Lowes has fan-fold, but where can I find carbon fiber? What to use for strength?

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Yay! my Lowes has fan-fold, but where can I find carbon fiber? What to use for strength?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Flyinhi1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay! my Lowes has fan-fold, but where can I find carbon fiber? What to use for strength?

I just checked my local Lowes and I couldn't believe my eyes! They have Fan Fold!! I picked up a bundle and trodded around the store with it for awhile before I realized "What the hell am I gonna use for wing and fuse support?!" I've never seen any carbon fiber stock in any of my LHS's so I put the bundle back and thought I'd check on CF at the hobby shops just in case they had it stashed away somewhere that I usually don't look (they didn't). I've been building ARF kits lately and my mind defaults to using CF in the wings and any other place that you want to avoid flex so if I want to build my own planes my question is this. Does every one use CF or could I use wood or wire for strength? What do you guys use in your scratch builds? If it is CF, where's the best place to get it? Thanks in advance all.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:53 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Yay! my Lowes has fan-fold, but where can I find carbon fiber? What to use for strength?

I'm amazed that your LHS doesn't have it....

toy store for replacement parts for kites?
sporting good store for arrow shafts?

order online?
Old 05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Flyinhi1

Default RE: Yay! my Lowes has fan-fold, but where can I find carbon fiber? What to use for strength?

Nope. All 3 of the LHS's were a no-go..... I didn't think to look at the other stores your mentioned. I'll give those a try. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:28 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use arrow shafts for my spars.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:28 AM
kennydee

HiMrFlyinhi1, I've been building fanfold plane thingies for a couple years. I've used carbon fiber tube as well as carbon fiber rods for support when lighter weight is necessary. But, with Brushless systems, there's enough power to tolerate a little more weight. I've had success using hard balsa as stiffiners. Most hobby stores will have balsa. Just browse through what they have a pick something that looks appropriate. I usually glue to balsa on with thick foam safe CA (I poke small holes through the covering on the fanfold to allow the CA to penetrate the foam when it's kicked). Most of my planes are my own design and it still amazes me that the things fly and some of them fly well. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 PM
geigerr
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Flyinhi1

What do you guys use in your scratch builds? If it is CF, where's the best place to get it? Thanks in advance all.
I use babboo skewers and Wal-
Mart dowels. Cf is available at the following sites.

http://www.airdyn.com/superior/carbon-rods.htm

http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/...olidflatcarbon

Good luck. C-YA RL
Old 05-22-2005, 03:24 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

www.balsapr.com has started stocking CF and has low cost brushless systems for these type planes too
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Jacob M

Tower Hobbies carries Midwest Carbon Fiber Tubes and Rods now.