Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

P51 Wing flex

Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
TAUMULLER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P51 Wing flex

Flying a gws P51 mustang , hopped up with brushless motor and lipos. Flys great almost
to good . When I really get on it the wings really flex . I added fuselage stiffners and a
stiffer rod to the bottom of the wing. I wonder if anybody has had this problem ? Also has anybody fiberglassed this plane , is it worth the time or not . The wing flexes so bad I almost
lose control . Any pointers or tips would be great , I love the looks of this plane, it flys good
and is cheap to replace if wrecked .
Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Gullwing72

Default RE: P51 Wing flex

I fly mine with a outrunner and lipos I have never had that problem with this plane, and it really moves. I did have it on a cheapy plane awhile back.The way I fixed it was to use flat carbon-fiber rods and foam safe CAed them to the bottom of the wings, and then repainted. It stopped 80% of the flex. I don't know about the glassing. Like you said they are cheap to replace and it seems like a lot work for a $30 piece of foam. That is just my way of thinking..............CDP
Old 08-26-2005, 12:52 PM
RickAvery

I put some flat carbon fiber ribbon embedded into the bottom of the wing from tip to tip. The stuff I get is fron Dave Brown Ind. & is maybe 005" thick X ~0.75" wide and comes in a two pack ~ 3or 4' long. It's super light weight, has incredible tensile strength, and will strengthen your wing X 80 or 90%. On the mustang, I use a dremmel motor with the adjustable foot attachement which allows you to regulate the depth. Then just mark the wing and router the foam. Where the center part of the fuse is moulded into the wing, I used one of those cheepy break-off type utility blades and opened a slot through the center. Once thte carbon fiber ribbon is glued with 5min. epoxy, I used some light weight spackling, Then sanded and painted it. With brushless power, it's just a matter of time before you fold the wing. cdp182 states that a wing is only $30.00. True, but if you fold it up at 75', I guarentee you'll be buying more than a wing. An hour and a half worth of work is worth every minute. Good luck.
Rick
Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 PM
iron eagel

Put thin carbon fiber into the panel lines on the top of the wing. This will stop most of the flex. As a matter of fact I did fiberglass mine using epoxy and .75 oz cloth.
Look at wattflyer.com under foamies. GWS Mustang mod.
Flies nice and can take a cartwheel too.