Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

iamman711,

I can only speak from my own experience. I have owned and flown several Parkzone models. I learned to fly with the J-3 Cub, then moved to the Stryker 27B, Typhoon 3D, and Stryker 27C. I have never had any problems with the electronics.

My guess is that there are thousands of Typhoons flying with stock equipment with no problems. However, I recognize that the electronics are of an inferior quality compared to, say, a Spektrum DX6 or other computer radios. An upgrade to a better TX/RX would always be advisable when the funds are available.

Just make sure you test everything on the ground. Do a range test as recommended on the manual. I would even go further than the 100 feet or so with the collapsed antenna. I had a friend hold the plane for me and with extended antenna I walked away to see how far I could with everything still working fine -- I went over 900 feet and was still OK. Move all controls using Hi-Rates to make sure nothing binds, there are no funny clicking sounds (bad gears on servos) or anything else that does not sound normal. Do this often, especially before each flight.

If you don't notice anything wrong. Then, go fly with confidence. Have fun!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:49 AM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: iamman711

Hey all I have 2 questions. I just purchased the RTF version that comes with lipo, charger, radio, and receiver and have 2 concerns:

1) My battery lipo charger takes more than 4 hours.. actually I've still been waiting for it to show a solid green light to indicate charging is complete. All I get is blinking red and green lights (normal charging plus conditioning). How long does it take to charge completely? 5 hours? I unplugged it and tested voltage with voltmeter and the voltage was around 12 volts which means its good to go, but why doesnt the green light go solid for me like its supposed ta.

2) I am really concerned about my upcoming maiden flight because I don't have a quality radio and receiver. I've read the reviews on rcuniverse and I want to know if problems with interference, etc .happens to everyone or just some people. Does anyone use the radio and receiver that comes with the RTF? How does it perform for you? I don't want to spend $300 on a new radio because I'm tight on money right now. I don't want to buy a $200 radio because you know what they say buy cheap buy twice. Aye dillemna, unless of course someone can tell me they haven't had problems with the stock transmitter/receiver.

Thanks in advance!

I use a DX7 so can't help you with the radio question.

I posted this a couple of pages back concerning the charger:

"I have two parkzone lipo chargers and these are my observations using a watt meter on how they work.

The charger starts out at the current it is set to and will charge the battery up to about 90%, and then the charge rate will drop to about 250mA while balancing the battery pack. Depending on the size of the pack, it can be in this mode for an hour or more before charging is complete. So for a completely discharged battery charging at a 1C rate, the parkzone charger will take two or more hours to fully complete its charge. However, once its "fast" charge is completed, the battery is sufficiently charged and usually balanced well enough to take it off charge and go fly with it if needed. "

I rarely wait for it to completely stop doing its thing. After its been balancing for a little bit, I usually just unplug it and use a digital volt meter to check each cell voltage on the balancing plug. If they are individually within 4.0 and 4.2 VDC and all within .05 VDC of each other then I consider it to be good to go. If you do this, just make sure to wrap electrical tape around the test probes so that only a tiny part of the tip is showing to prevent any shorting if the probes slip while testing on the balance plug.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
nystagehane

Last Summer I crashed my Typoon-1, I believe due to interference. The motor broke off from the nose about ½ inch behind the firewall. This was my second major break to the fuselage, the first one broke the fuselage in half right in front of the leading edge of the wings. I fix that one with a hot glue gun set on low heat. I featured the plane was shot this time and would need a lot of parks to fix, so I left it in pieces in my garage five months ago.

Well I had some free time recently, and decided to see if I could put this plane back together. I used Zapo-o foam safe CA with E-flite Foam Compatible Activator on the Nose and it was fixed solid in seconds.

I replaced the bent Prop Shaft with one of my spares. Replace the tape on the tail with strips of high strength packing tape (better than new now).

Replaced one bad servo with original replacement servo from park zone. I know they are cheap but I had a free one . One day I will replace the rudder and tail with metal gear servo’s.

The tail wheel assemble was broken, I changed the design and made a fixed rear wheel that is not attached to the rudder in any way. I think that park zone’s rear wheel design is weak. They attached it to the rudder so they can say it has a steer able rear wheel, but you can still steer the plane just as easy with the wheel not attached to the rudder.

I put on a new cowl that I had and charged my hectronik 2200mah 20c-30c battery and headed to the park.

Will it was 30 degree’s and very windy, way to much wind to really fly anyway. But since I brought this plane back from the dead anyhow I said why not.

The wind was pulling the plane out of my hands before I even put it on the ground.

The ground was so hard and bumpy that on the first take off the prop hit the ground, so I aborted. There was no damage just a little dirt on the prop.

I found a little smoother ground for the second attempt, It took off in the air but due to a wind gust and me being a little rusty on the controls it went about 25 ft in the air and crashed to the ground. I was very lucky with no damage.

I had to see if it would fly, so I tried again and I got it up in the air. Wind gusts were throwing the plane all of the place, I had to get some altitude quickly or I would crash again. I gained altitude a flew high.

I flew for around ten minutes and it flew fine, I could hardly trim it out because of the wind. I was flying into the wind and it was like the plane was standing still. I took it in for a landing in the tall frozen brush just to be safe.

I landed it fine no damage.

I happy to report no problems with my stock radio and receiver this time, weird thing that was what brought it down in the summer.

I think this plane is better than new now. I'll wait to fly it again when the weather is better, but its nice to know the plane is working again, and back from the dead with about 10 dollars worth of glue and the spare parts I had on hand.

Just another Typoon story with a happy ending.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
solar696

good write up!
I also have a ty -1 that is got to be at least 2 years old now and still flies great. Original motor, ESC, and 2 original servo.
This is a very forgiving airplane, parts are readily available, hot glue or foam-safe CA can bring it back to life after a crash.
It is a great buy for a recreational.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
iamman711

Hey thanks for the reply everyone, I 4got to select the notify me when someone replies box so I was oblivious to the fact that you replied. Thanks.

I bought a Spektrum dx6i with AR6200 receiver today. Before today I flew my plane twice, and had interference problems but was able to regain control and land safely.. ths happened twice in one day. so i decided not to chance it anymore and got the nicer radio.

so when i plugged in the AR6200 it was glitch free, servoes moved, throttle moved on command. Then about an hour later i reconnect battery (of course, transmitter is on and in idle), but then the motor starts moving erratically (vibrates, loooks like its struggling to spin but does rotate just very aqkwardly), then I immediately unhatch cover to unplug battery and i feel battery is really hot then i feel motor through the vent and really hot! I could not access the ESC as the screw holding the cover thing lost its integrity and I couldnt unscrew it... but I'm sure the ESC is garbage now

What caused my problem? Everything other than new receiver and radio is stock and unfiddled with.

Could it be my power settings? What does EU and US mean in the DX6i programing/settings? By default, power is set to EU but I changed to US since I purchased the radio in the US and I live here. Anyone know if its critical to have this setting correct? Anyway I thought I did the right thing in changing it to US. And what is the difference, exactly?

Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
RCHubbub

Hey thanks for the reply everyone, I 4got to select the notify me when someone replies box so I was oblivious to the fact that you replied. Thanks.

I bought a Spektrum dx6i with AR6200 receiver today. Before today I flew my plane twice, and had interference problems but was able to regain control and land safely.. ths happened twice in one day. so i decided not to chance it anymore and got the nicer radio.

so when i plugged in the AR6200 it was glitch free, servoes moved, throttle moved on command. Then about an hour later i reconnect battery (of course, transmitter is on and in idle), but then the motor starts moving erratically (vibrates, loooks like its struggling to spin but does rotate just very aqkwardly), then I immediately unhatch cover to unplug battery and i feel battery is really hot then i feel motor through the vent and really hot! I could not access the ESC as the screw holding the cover thing lost its integrity and I couldnt unscrew it... but I'm sure the ESC is garbage now

What caused my problem? Everything other than new receiver and radio is stock and unfiddled with.

Could it be my power settings? What does EU and US mean in the DX6i programing/settings? By default, power is set to EU but I changed to US since I purchased the radio in the US and I live here. Anyone know if its critical to have this setting correct? Anyway I thought I did the right thing in changing it to US. And what is the difference, exactly?

Please help. Thanks.

EU is European Union. They have a lower maximum transmitter output than the US and the rest of the world for 2.4GHz. That had nothing to do with what you experienced. Obviously something shorted out. You didn't mention any burnt smell, so you may not have lost anything. Sounds like the motor was shorting. Take it out and look for any obvious issues with it, the wiring, etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
solar696

what you described with the motor : acting weird, vibrating back and forth, does not know which way to spin does happen to mine all the time. But only when moving the throttle from off position slowly to next notch. I am guessing what it does or the best way I could describe it is , the ESC applies too small of a voltage to the motor, not enough for the motor to turn and the magnets inside the motor jerk the shaft back and forth. However if I move the throttle from off to about 1/4 position the motor spins up fine. Similar things do happen with other motors if there is not enough voltage upon starting. The motor usually just humms.

solution : check the end point for your throttle in minimum/off position, move the throttle trim toward more negative setting.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: solar696

what you described with the motor : acting weird, vibrating back and forth, does not know which way to spin does happen to mine all the time. But only when moving the throttle from off position slowly to next notch. I am guessing what it does or the best way I could describe it is , the ESC applies too small of a voltage to the motor, not enough for the motor to turn and the magnets inside the motor jerk the shaft back and forth. However if I move the throttle from off to about 1/4 position the motor spins up fine. Similar things do happen with other motors if there is not enough voltage upon starting. The motor usually just humms.

solution : check the end point for your throttle in minimum/off position, move the throttle trim toward more negative setting.

Actually, this is normal for any three wire, AC type brushless motor using a sensorless ESC as those that are used in the RC hobby. The only way the ESC knows which way to turn the motor is to determine current flow after voltage is applied. If the motor is moving the wrong direction from the ESCs programming, it reverses voltage. This can be seen in action after arming by moving the thottle up a click or two and watching it jitter. If the throttle is just pushed up, it will make the determination and reverse rotation if needed faster than one can observe. And if the motor rotates in the opposite direction that is desired from the ESC, you can swap any two of the three wires going to the motor without having to reprogram it. Once the ESC has determined rotation, it shouldn't "jitter" afterwards until after the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

However, with the hot battery and hot motor is this issue, I don't think his throttle end points or trim would cause that.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
solar696

Good info, thanks
When my Ty was new I noticed that the 3 wire coming out of the motor body was squased against the metal motor housing, the insulation had an indent, I moved the wires away before connecting it to the battery. I could see how with the damaged insulation that could have caused a short. I am not saying this is the case in iamman771's case but something to keep an eye on. Very hot battery and very hot motor is a sure sign of a short circuit/ high power draw.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:47 PM
iamman711

thanks guys. my current config is all stock parts except AR6200 receiver. don't know what i did to draw too much current. all i remember was the throttle was on idle and then after maybe 10 seconds the motor started turning on its own and everything got hot. After 10 more seoncds ( i was struggling to remove the velcro straps) I took out the battery.

really appreciate the help. my last resort is to send it back in for replacement. hopefully I get a whole new plane back (same model but new).
Old 03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
JDV500

hello,

i've been flying the typhoon2 for a few months now and its a lot of fun to experiment on. i'm looking for an apc type prop for a stock typhoon2 using only the 2200 battery. needing a bit more performance from it while keeping the stock electronics.

thanks in adv.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
jmir

ORIGINAL: JDV500

hello,

i've been flying the typhoon2 for a few months now and its a lot of fun to experiment on. i'm looking for an apc type prop for a stock typhoon2 using only the 2200 battery. needing a bit more performance from it while keeping the stock electronics.

thanks in adv.
I have been flying the Typhoon every since it came out. Recently, I replaced the gear driven motor with an E-flite Park 480 direct drive brushless motor. It has made a big difference. Like flying a totally different plane due to added power. Knife edges and flat spins are no longer a problem for me. Also, much easier to hover and can fly it easily in much stronger winds. Plus..... no more bent shafts or stripped gears!!!

You may want to consider this alternative whenever you are ready to upgrade.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:06 PM
iamman711

jmir, what (make/model/specs) speed controller and battery are you using now that you've upgraded the motor.

i was reading the parkzone t-28 trojan thread and most people also upgraded to the eflite 480 outrunner, interestingly.

thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
jmir

jmir, what (make/model/specs) speed controller and battery are you using now that you've upgraded the motor.

i was reading the parkzone t-28 trojan thread and most people also upgraded to the eflite 480 outrunner, interestingly.

thanks
I'm using the E-flite 40 amp ESC. As to the batteries, it flies best with a Dualsky 1300 mah 25C 11.1v pack. I also use a Thunderpower 2200 mah, 25C, 11.1v pack if it is too windy since I feel the added weight helps a little. I get about 10 minute flight with the Dualsky and around 12 with the Thunderpower. I fly around mostly at 1/2 throttle but also do a lot of aerobatics and hoverings (not very good at it) requiring full throttle for short bursts.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
iamman711

Jmir,

Thanks. You answered my question and then some, but definitely info I wanted to know which I appreciate! I'm surprised and elated that the 1300 mAh lipo provides 10 minutes of flighttime. I'm also surprised that the bigger battery, with almost twice the mAh, only gives 2 minutes more of flighttime. I would assume it would give twice the flight time since it has roughly twice the mAh. Can you explain this for me?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
iamman711

anyone have a recommendation for expo, dual rate and endpoint settings to tame my typhoon 2? i saw this question posted a wattflyer forum thread but no responses, and i thought it was a very good question.

basically, the zx10 radio that coems in the RTF has expo built in, but now that i am changing to a new radio (spektrum), am interested in knowing the optimal expo, dual rate settings so my next flight isn't too wild and hard to control. thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
jmir

Jmir,

Thanks. You answered my question and then some, but definitely info I wanted to know which I appreciate! I'm surprised and elated that the 1300 mAh lipo provides 10 minutes of flighttime. I'm also surprised that the bigger battery, with almost twice the mAh, only gives 2 minutes more of flighttime. I would assume it would give twice the flight time since it has roughly twice the mAh. Can you explain this for me?
I guess since I fly the bigger battery when it's windy (10 - 15+ mph winds), I do run the motor much harder. The higher speed/power helps when it's so windy trying to keep the plane steady, especially when flying against the wind. By the way, I don't run the batteries all the way down -- usually around 80% of capacity.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
iamman711

now that you told us about the eflite outrunner upgrade you make me want to do it too. i guess it gives me a good reason to push my typhoon to the limits so i can break the motor and esc and do the outrunner/better esc upgrade.

more power, more fun

o ya do you have any videos of your outrunner typhoon? if not, please.. with sound?
[sm=thumbup.gif]

*update: as i was doing more research on the e-flite 480, i discovered it comes in two versions, 1020 Kv and 920 Kv both priced at $69.99
Question: why would they sell the 920 Kv version for the same price, why would anyone buy it (less power, same price), and which one do you use?

Did you buy your outrunner/esc from horizonhobby.com? If so, how much is shipping? If not, how much does your LHS (or wherever you bought) sell outrunner/esc for?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I.C.O.N.

iamman711

It's not less power at all. Lower KV motors let you swing bigger props and create more thrust.
Higher KV motors will get you more speed.

It's more about how many Amps the motor can take and watts produced.

For 3D usually the lower KV and larger props are used.

I am not the one to give a lesson for sure. But those are the bare basics.

Andy
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
iamman711

oh. thanks.

what should i buy to measure these amps/watts values so i know my motor isn't pulling too much and overfry esc. i could ask my lhs but i dont want to limit my choices to what they have only. can any one recommend something good?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
jmir

Here is what I use to make sure I don't exceed the motor or ESC power specs:

http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=3809

It comes with comprehensive instructions as to its various uses in addition to measuring power.

As to videos, I don't have one on the converted Typhoon using the Parks 480 outrunner (the 1040Kv version). It flies much faster and it is very quiet compared to the stock geared motor. Most of the time I fly alone. Maybe I can talk my wife in going with me and doing the filming.

Take a look at post #878 for photos of the conversion.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
iamman711

ORIGINAL: jmir

What I'm hoping for is no more stripped gears and bent shafts. The Typhoon is the only gear-driven plane I have and, since I fly a lot (almost daily), those gears just wear out too soon for me.

You brought up an interesting point about the plastic gears wearing out. can you use wd-40 on these things? how do you know when its time to change them.. is it one of those "you find out when you crash" sort of deals?

do they make the gears in more durable metal?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I.C.O.N.

iamman711, most strip them before they are 1/4 of the way worn out.

A shot of silicon spray probably wouldn't hurt, but if you actually wear one out "Your not flying HARD ENOUGH!"
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
jmir

[/quote]
You brought up an interesting point about the plastic gears wearing out. can you use wd-40 on these things? how do you know when its time to change them.. is it one of those "you find out when you crash" sort of deals?

do they make the gears in more durable metal?
[/quote]

I used sewing machine oil which is very thin and lubricates well. This seemed to help. I purchased a small tube at Radio Shack.

You will notice when things go wrong and would not necessarily crash.
Bent shafts -- you will notice unsual vibrations
Broken gear teeth -- you will notice a bumpy noise, especially at slower speeds
Misalignment -- you will notice loud grinding noise and slow turning of prop. This usually occur if there is a slight crack on the gear housing which causes the pinion/gear to become misaligned and would start slipping.
Prop becoming detached -- Happens when the nut behind the propeller is not tight enough causing the prop assembly to just unscrew off the shaft. Usually, the spinner comes off first which might give you enough warning to land the plane ASAP

By the way, I flew the Typhoon for a few months before any of the above happened. Things just wear out with usage, even if you don't crash or have rough landings. Rough landings can happen easily, especially during windy days and it would most likely bent the shaft. I always kept an extra one on hand, just in case.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
iamman711

cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.