Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Typhoon 3D ?

Here is a funny vid I took of my buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqoml34ybNI
Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 PM
keithn4

hey guys ive got a good deal on a typhoon pnp, im just wondering is there really any difference between typhoon and t2?

im really thinking bout getting it. i have a dx6i, im just wondering will i need to get anythin else?

ive heard bout servos striping, so will prob upgrade them. which hitec servo would be best?

any other suggestions on upgrades would be welcome

thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
nerdc0re79

yeah i baught a PNP t2 3D today @ 9am. elevator servo was bad so it crashed today 3PM .bent shaft, bad servo. the nose of the fuselage is now cocked to one side. im not ever goin to bother with this crap.horizon was ripped a new one from me today.so they want me to send the one i baught today and they will send me a new kit. damn 165 dollars of b-s and headaches. when i get the replacement . i am goin to change all servos.so. when you get any parkzone products.change the electronics right away. servos especially.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
nerdc0re79

heres the photo at the school field mins b4 take off
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44241.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	921121  
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
iamman711

where can i buy those blue things on your transmitter control sticks? I saw someone with these blue things on their JR Radio and I am curious where to buy, what its for, and anything else you 'd like to share about them, please.

sorry bout your plane, she looked real good b4 the crash lookin at her pose. I agree Parkzone is craptacular quality but at least they have a good exchange policy.

to keith, I tkink the typhoon is ok. its not as good as the typhoon 2 but if its a good deal i say go ahead.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 PM
nerdc0re79

the blue things are from trex 600 skid nut. its for grip and if youre using index finger and thumb to control your stick rather than thumb control. that grip is nice and it will prevent it from slipping.. its really for heli control.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
nerdc0re79

here ya go.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
iamman711

thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Hobie

Howdy all . I have been lurking here since the first TY came out . How long is that 2 years ? I always wanted one but never got one till yesterday . I started with electric
4 years ago with the T-Hawk then the Space Scooter and quickly went right to glow and now have 6 nitro planes . I have the 4* .40, 4* .60, Sig Kadet .40, Hanger 9 Twist, Sig Somthin Extra and the Super Sky Bolt . I prefer fuel planes but like electrics too but having both can be quite expensive so I have stuck to just the fuel planes the last couple years . Our club flying field is right next to the Rock River in Moline Il. and was flooded out last fall and is flooded out again this spring . So I finally took the plunge and ordered the TY 2 from my local hobby shop in spite of hearing about all the problems because of my flying style . I don't fly 3D yet anyway but love my Hanger 9 Twist and thought the TY2 might have similar flying characteristics . Well anyway I got it yesterday set it all up and the motor would not fire . The ailerons worked at first but soon they would not work either . I knew about all the problems but got this bird anyway . I am so bummed it is beautiful out and I wanted to fly my new Typhoon so bad . I can't fly my other planes because our field is all flooded and I think it might be frowned upon flying larger nitro planes at the local park . It is such a bummer that PZ has a plane that so many want and when nothing is wrong with it love to fly but don't seem to do a thing to correct the problems . The Typhoon 2 came out a year ago so they have had more than enough time correct all these problems . I guess as long as there is suckers like me who buy the Ty2 despite reading about all the problems they will do nothing to fix all the problems . What would it cost to fix these problems and how much more would it cost for a Typhoon 2 that was good right out of the box like you expect it to be ? Parkzone must have done some sort of study and decided they would not be able to sell as many units if they used quality electronics and upped the price a little . I will keep you posted on what happens and if Horizon Hobby gives me a free replacement and if that one is any good . I got to say my local hobby shop took it back with no problem and said they would send it back to HH . They apologized but of course it was not their fault .
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM
iamman711

id be surprised if they gave you a free replacement when you already were refunded at your LHS.

tell me, why do you prefer gas over electric? I always thought that gas-flyers were just being old-fashioned and didn't want to convert to electric. I'm really curious why you chose gas over electric. Thanks,
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: iamman711

id be surprised if they gave you a free replacement when you already were refunded at your LHS.

tell me, why do you prefer gas over electric? I always thought that gas-flyers were just being old-fashioned and didn't want to convert to electric. I'm really curious why you chose gas over electric. Thanks,

I started with electrics and had a blast but I didn't get addicted until I started flying planes with engines. I fully expected it to be something that I wouldn't want to do for too long before going back to electrics. But the sound, the smell, the sight of the exhaust, it just adds a sensory dimension to the core of the experience that electrics can't replicate.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:40 AM
iamman711

I figured it had something to do with that smoke. second hand smoke
Old 04-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Hobie

ORIGINAL: iamman711

I gave the wrong impression about the hobby shop they took it back to send it back I did not get or want a refund . I get a much bigger thrill with the fuel planes . Like Rchubbub said I like the sound and the smell because to me it makes it much more realistic . Go to an airport and listen planes are loud . At an air show I think I enjoy the sound as much as watching the planes fly . Also I like being able to fly bigger airplanes than the size most electrics are . The final reason is I think it is much easier to decide what size motor to put on your plane with what prop etc . Electric is much more complicated to figure out and that is why all my electrics have been RTF .

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Hobie

I have read others had to send their TY2 back to Horizon how long does it usually take to get one back ? Tomorrow will be a week since I took it back to the hobby shop and they have not got a replacement from HH yet . The original order was in the next day .
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM
iamman711

5-4+6-4+300-560+270-8+2222-2224 = 3 weeks

i like making things easier for everyone.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Hobie

Thanks for keeping it simple Jam [sm=49_49.gif] I hope you are wrong about the 3 weeks .
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
keithn4

hey guys ive got a quick question.

im going buying the t1, have got a really good deal on it,

just wondering have i got everything? do i need anything else?

typhoon pnp
dx6i rx/tx
hs81 servo's
dubro wheels 3inch,
deans

do i need to add anything else?

has any1 upgraded to a eflite 450/480 brushless?

cheers,

keith
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Hobie

I got my replacement Typhoon 2 today after only 1 week . Everything works on this one except I have not done a range test . I can’t wait to get it in the air but it will probably be a week before the maiden flight since the weather sucks here and my weekends are Thursday and Friday . I will have to find a big park field for the maiden flight because our club field is under the Rock River . How big of a field do I need for the first flight ?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM
iamman711

hobie you lucky, maybe it was expedited because you dealth through hobby shop. i recommend a baseball field size area for flight. football to be safe. read up the prvious pages of this thread for really good info. the effort will be well worth it. you too keith (previous poster).
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Hobie

Like I said it may be a week before I can get her in the air for the first time . I taxed it around my patio a couple times and it steers real well on the ground on high rates . I am really use to flying at our flying club's field . It sure will be different to find a park big enough to fly at where all kinds of other activities are going on . For you park flyers do you have any advice for someone new to flying at a park ? Is it ok to fly at public parks ? Does my AMA insurance cover me at a public park ?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Hobie

Well I finally got a chance to fly today . I was surprised how easy it was to take off on uneven ground in grass that was not very short . I haven’t flown any light electric plane in a couple of years and have never flown one this light and responsive . I had 3 good take offs and 3 not pretty but safe landings on the wheels with no nose over. The wind picked up a little and didn't seem that strong but on my 4th flight I had my hands full . Flying against the wind was no problem I just added more throttle but turning downwind the first couple times I almost lost control but flying with the wind was not a problem either . Finally the last turn from into the wind to down wind I lost control when the wind caught the top of the wing and flipped me over I was not high enough to recover so I nosed in . The only damage was a broke prop and a cracked cowl . The wind would not have been a problem or even a challenge to any of my fuel planes . I will have to get use to this light plane and fly in less wind for now . I also think I need to fly 2 mistakes higher till I figure out how to fly in a little wind . I didn't fly as high as I might normally because I am not use to flying at a park . Any advice for not letting the wind hit the top of the wing and flipping it over when turning from into the wind to with the wind ?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM
solar696

The only suggestion I can offer you set your radio to low rate about 70% until you become familiar or get used to this plane, at high/full throw this plane is very jittery and hard to control, especially at windy condition , people tend to over control then loose control. Leave the high rate to aerobatic stuff.
Also keep in mind that this is a styrofoam plane with big wing surfaces.
This plane can actually fly pretty good in windy condition comparing to other foamies. It has plenty power (even in stock form) using a lipo battery to recover from a wind toss.
You are on a right track, just keep practicing.
Oh yes,... when you break a prop on this plane it usually takes the prop shaft with it, check to make sure it is not bent. If it is bent any parkzone brand (gearbox type) prop shaft will work, such as super cub, FW-190, p-51 mustang and such. the plastic gear may be different but the metal shaft is the same or interchangeable. Use a metal punch to drive the metal shaft out and hammer it into the typhoon gear. I've done it a half a dozen times, because the local shop did not have typhoon shaft in stock.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
iamman711

Hobie, if you didn't read the rest of the thread you might not have realized how responsive the T23D is, but congratulations on a pretty successful flight! Theres tons of stuff you can learn from other's experiences, so go knock yourself out one of these days. Its only like 40 pages.

2 mistakes high and low settings (with expo, if available) are great things to keep in mind. So far so good.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Hobie,

I have been flying the Typhoon since it first came out. Lately, I have been flying in windy conditions (15+ mph). I find that turning around towards the wind is not as much problem as turning when flying against the wind. If it is real gusty, I turn the Typhoon by going inverted, then up or down elevator to bring it back.

Landing becomes a tricky thing on higher winds. Contrary to all the advice I get from fellow flyers, I usually land with the wind instead of against the wind. The approach needs to be much longer. I just bring it low, turn the throttle off and simply let it come down by itself with a slight flair just before it touches the ground. It works every time. By the way, club members have finally accepted my "wrong landings" so I don't get criticized any more.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Hobie

I was lucky the prop shaft it didn't get bent . Jamman I new the TY2 would be responsive but I have enough confidence in my flying skills that I didn't think I would have a problem . I have been flying the Hanger 9 PNP Twist for 2 years with out a crash and it has a very similar air frame shape as the TY as you can see by the attached picture . I really think my biggest problem is that I am use to flying with my computerized radio which I have expo programmed in . I am using the radio that came with the TY2 and even on low rates it is way touchier than I am use to with out the expo . I did exactly what you said Solar with the stick being touchier than I am use to I over corrected then lost it . My last crash was 2 years ago when I had my radio set to the wrong model . I had my first ARF twist out on the runway with the engine running when I realized I was on the wrong model . Instead of killing the engine I tried to change models which was a very big mistake . The engine throttled up on its own and the Twist took off on it's own with me having no control . [X(] Besides the engine throttling up the control surfaces were moving on their own . Thinking back it was really funny to see the plane on it's own line up on the runway throttle up and take off . It turned and flew just a few feet in front of me [X(] towards the flight line where it finally dove hard at full throttle into the ground behind the flight line . Luckily I was the only one at the field at the time so no one was in danger . Needless to say it crashed right because I didn't have to spend countless hours gluing and covering . All I had to do was remove the engine, radio and pitch the balsa toothpicks . [] Thanks jmir I thought of that last night after I was done flying going inverted and then giving up elevator is a maneuver I usually use often . I hadn't flown in over 7 months so I guess on top of everything else I could be a little rusty .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66815.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	931894  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.