Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Home Built Foamies

Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 AM
BaldEagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Built Foamies

Rick
Your a lucky man, keep that one she's a gem.
As too quad flap, its not worth it on a foamy, but flapperons are, set up seperate servo's on each aileron and programme your transmitter to operate the flaps in oposition to the elevator i.e. both ailerons up elevator down, you will not believe the response and tightness of the loops that can be done, manouverability is enhansed 10 fold, if you can put the flapperons to act as flaps only on to a side slider on your transmitter so much the better as you can then use them as flaps, both ailerons up better prop hanging and more stable harriers, both ailerons down real slow flight and elevators. The purmutations are endless, definatly worth doing.

Happy new year to you and yours.

Mike
Old 01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
nrichardz

Mike I am using flaperons already on my mini funtana and love them they work great the mini stick is set up the same way with flaperons already but the kit is balsa I found a little more info on quad flaps and from what I can gather the outboard part gous up in full deflection and the inboard part go down to full deflection but you still have total control with the ailerons here are some pictures

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40938.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	379884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51276.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	379885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16396.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	379886  
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
You are correct in what you say about the quad flaps we call that Butterfly flaps on gliders, its used to enable shorter landings, but does not enhace any flight carracaristics at all, except to slow everything down especially forward flight, I know that some of the 3D craft that are comming out now use four surface controls on the wing, but in all honesty if you have flapperons why use seperate flaps? I do not see the point of increasing the weight of what is supposed to be a lightweight 3D plane. If you need to experiment try seperate servo's on each elevator and programme ailivators in to your mix i.e. elevators follow the ailerons, axial rolls anyone. I use these on most of my aerobatic craft to great effect (my opinion)
If you try this let me know what you think, I do not know anyone else that does, I'm the only one in my club that experiments or does anything out of the ordinary, stick in the muds or dianasours, take your pick.

Mike
Old 01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
nrichardz

Hey Mike weather looks godd for tomorrow so some buddies and I are going to fly I will let you know how it does I have kind of put my next homebuilt on hold for a little bit because I have so many airplanes right now and love flying all of them my wife did it again our anniversary was a couple of days ago and se bought me another plane it is by wattage and it is a pitts special I love biplanes and I think tis one is going to be great I am going to start working on it this next week I am still trying to figure out what motor and battery setup to put in it the plane is all balsa so it should fly great I might go with either a 450 or 480 outrunner and another 2200 mah lipo but haven't decided yet but will keep you posted on the progress Happy new year

Rick
Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

As its a pitts it will need at least 75Watts/lb preferably 100watts/lb unless you want to ge silly and prop hang with vertical capability in which case go 150watts/lb that will stir things up in your community.

Let me know what way you go?
Mike
Old 01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
nrichardz

Hey Mike sorry I haven't posted in a while been extremely busy with work this week but flew last weekend and it was great and am planning on flying tomorrow if the weather is decent anyway wanted to let you know I am still trying to decide on a power set up for the pitts I think I am goint to go with the 480 outrunner though because I want the plane to go vertical and I think the 480 will make that possible I did build a new plane this last week though it is a carl goldberg super chipmunk set up is eflite 450 890 kv outrunner 20 amp eflite speed control and right now am going to try a 1500 3 cell lipo and see how it does but might try one of my 2200 mah packs in it plane came in at about 20 oz so with this set up it should fly really well on a 10x7 slowfly prop I dont know about you but I prefer the slowflyer props for me they have plenty of speed and excellent torque anyway I will get on line tomorrow and let you know how the maiden went

Rick

Put it on the wattmeter with a 10x7 prop WOT 15 amps and 142 watts of thrust should be o.k. don't you think
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71443.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	387539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37176.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	387540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45810.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	387541  
Old 01-16-2006, 06:41 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

The APC slow flies are the buisness, I find the GWS orange ones break too easily.

As to your latest looks great, 15amps on a 10x7 should give you approx 150 watts at 10volts which at 20onz is 150/1.25=120watts/lb should be more than adequate to fly well, its not a speed demo though, I'd be wary on the first flight in case of the dreaded flutter.

I'd also be tempted to try a stiffer prop than the slow fly on this craft, better characteristics for the type of plane, its does not look like a slow fly, but not a speed demo either.

How did the maiden go?

Mike
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 PM
nrichardz

Mike maiden went well but I did change to a 9x6 prop could not tell much difference in performance and had a little more ground clearance on the prop otherwise though the plane flew great very stable and will do all the aerobatics you can think of vertical is awesome and will just keep climbing did not notice any flutter in the control surfaces took of the ground in about 20 ft at 1/4 throttle and flew most of the flights at about 1/2 throttle I am still using a apc slow fly 9x6 prop what do you recommend one of the E props from apc please let me know

Rick
Old 01-18-2006, 10:56 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Try an APC 9x6 but not the slow fly the prop blade is narrower and stiffer, which should increase revs but not loading, it may even reduce the amps drawn due to less load.

Let me know if this works.

Mike
Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 PM
nrichardz

mike what do you think of the master airscrew electric props I saw them at the LHS the other day and they look nice the look a lot like the apc E props let me know what you think

Rick

Been flying lately
Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I have not tried the Master Airscrew electrics, but their IC props are some of the best, the best you can get I think is a CAM designed Carbon prop, but I do not think anyone makes one for electrics yet in a solid form, certainly in folding the Graupner Carbon CAM props take a lot of beating, even their plastic CAM props are among the best, stiffer and maintain shape better at high revs than Aero-Naut, with the Robbe dymamic -E comming a close third, my opinion only, once I get delivery of my new in flight power analyser I will be able to back up all these opinions with facts, meanwhile I can only go by my static tests with the info downloaded from my current analyser (pun intended)

Should be with me in the next few days, then testing for real can begin, comparisons from static tests too flying tests backed up by rates of climb should be interesting, especially comparing static thrust to climb abbility with different props, on the ground you cannot tell when the prop is stalled, time will tell.

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 08:38 AM
nrichardz

Hey Mike you out there today is shaping up nice for flying probably gonna fly today and tomorrow but have a question how can I make my own hot wire foam cutter if anyone will know it will be you I want to cut some parts for a new bird and I have looked at some threads but directions for it were not explained very well thanks for the help

Rick
Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

What are you going to cut, Polystyrene, Polyurathane, or Depron if its the latter don't bother get a knife blade sharpener instead. If its the former two you need some nical chrome wire an variable output transformer and a bow. the hardest part too find is the transformer, however I just replaced mine with a mains variable low voltage output transformer for house lights i.e. mains in 12volts out attached to a house dimmer switch, this is better than my previous purpose made unit. You will have to experiment with settings and speed of cut. There is lots of information out there on bows and tables etc:

MAKE SURE THE TRANSFORMER IS DOUBLE INSULATED. SHOULD SAY SO ON THE UNIT.

I have just cut out a pogo for vertical take off and landings should be fun, will post pics soon

Mike
Old 01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
nrichardz

Mike I am getting the parts together for my foam cutter and ajust about have everything as far as the main parts and have been told by a few guys to use an electric train transformer what do you think will it work

Rick

Mike also wanted to let you know about my new project I finally really took the plunge into this electric thing in my hanger now I have my pc-9 still I have my homebuilt that you are very familiar with I have my eflite ultra mini stick and my Gws tigermoth 400 (with an eflite 450 brushless extreme power only weighs 19 0z with battery and motor) Chipmunk met its demise last week due to a radio glitch and sold my mini funtana working on 2 birds right now at the same time my pitts special which I think I am going to go with a 480 outrunner in so it will go vertical but I now have a .60 size cap 232 kit I am putting together that I cant wait to get finished I have also bought the new e flite .60 brushless outrunner and a 5 cell 4200 mah pack and a castle creations 80 amp speed control should fly nice will let you know as the build goes on and the plane gets ready to fly (any tips on big electric birds) The wife has come through again because the cap was another present (GOTTA LOVE HER!!!)

Rick
Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

The train transformer will work if it is capable of putting out the requried amps, with my dimmable mains transformer I can use a 40" bow, which is big.

On the subject of big electric planes, its off the thread a long way, so we may need to put this somewhere else, where do you suggest?
But the biggest piece of advise I can give you is the absolute requirement in an aircraft such as the Cap for a seperate BEC unit if you wish to use the flight batteries, the servo's will overheat the ESC with the power required. I could go into more detail but this is the wrong thread as we know.

Mike
Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Smith Brother

I just learned of Blue Foam planes, and am interested in building a VERY SIMPLE ONE TO START, like the one pictured early in this thread.

Where can I obtain plans and patterns for such?

Thank you for hearing me out.

Dale
Indy
Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 PM
nrichardz

Smith Brother

The plane you saw at the beginning of this thread is my first home built plane I think I gave the measurements on all of the major parts I did not do a set of plans just kind of drew what I had in my heat on the foam but it is a 3D airplane that flies exellent it has probably 30 to 40 flights on it indoor and outdoor and each time I fly it it seems to get better but it is made out of 3 4 mm Depron foam which is all flat if you want more info let me know and I will help you the best I can with what you need you can post here with your questions or you can email me direct at (nrichardz@msn.com) and I will give you all the help that I can

Rick
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 PM
nrichardz

Mike I agree you know that I am pretty good with the park flyer thing but there is a lot to learn on these big electrics so I am going to put the ball in your court no pun intended (WIMBELDON) I watch it every year

So please for me start up a thread on this for me and direct me there I promise I will be a good student and will probably have more questions than you want to answer hope to hear from you soon

Rick

Old 01-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Smith Brother

Rick, thanks for the speedy reply, FOR SURE. I see you did give some basic measurements that I can work from. I will look around to see who can supply the foam. I will holler when I get in trouble. Building a 20 foot boat at present, and have built a street rod and custom Vette so certainly am a HANDS ON TYPE. I am a multi task person and like to have several interest at the same time, so when I saw one of the BLUE FOAM planes a customer had, I SAID I NEED TO GIVE IT A TRY.

Thanks again,

Dale
Indy
Old 01-28-2006, 06:08 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Have a look at "AXI5330/FAI" there are a few chaps on there that are into big electric, its not basic though, I am looking around at the moment to see if there is a suitable existing site for our disscussion, will post if I find anything.

Mike
Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Go to "Watt Flyer" "Glow and Gas to Electric Conversions" you should be able to find everything you ever wanted to know there.
Mike
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 AM
nrichardz

Thanks Mike I will check it out you talked last night about a seperate bec set up in the big birds can you set them up with a reciever battery like a gas plane or do you run the bec off of the flight batteries

I will check out the wattflyer site and see what I can find. After losing my chipmunk last weekend I have ordered a new radio Presently flying with a Futaba 8 UAF but just ordered that spectrum DX 6 from horizon hobby it is on 2.4 GHz and they say is totally glitch free so I am going to give it a try and see how it does they recommend it for parkflyers only though because it only has a range of 2000 Ft do you think that this radio will be O.K in the big bird I am building also or should I use my futaba they do not recommend them for gas planes so I need to find out hopefully you can help me if you want to look at the specs on it it is at horizonhobby.com

Rick
Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 AM
nrichardz

No Problem Smith Brother I am in the process with all of my projects going too too many of building a hot wire foam cutter for cutting the blue foam planes the one in the pictures is depron and you buy it in sheets try your local hobby shop first that is where I get mine but if not try an arts and crafts store like michaels or something similar let me know if you have a hard time finding it because I know I have a couple of websites that you can go to and buy it also

The projects I mentioned above are as follows (Flying right now are my homebuilt a Eflite mini ultra stick a ultra fly pc-9 and a gws tigermoth 400 all with brushless setups for plenty of power and right now on the building board I am working on a wattage Pitts Special Biplane and a .60 size cap 232 with an electric conversion it ought to be fun

Talk to you soon

Rick
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM
nrichardz

Mike I have another question even though it is off topic but I am looking for an airplane kit I am going to post wanted threads on as many sites as I belong to I am asking you because you have been in R/C for a long time the kit is a B29 Bomber electric with a 72 inch wingspan and uses 4 speed 400 motors for power the owner of my LHS has one hanging up and said that the plane company went out of business about 5 years ago hence now I want to try and find one it is all foam sheeted with balsa hopefully I can get my hands on one I am willing to pay top dollar for it

Rick
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Don't know the kit or manufacturer, do know of the Lancaster at 72" powered by 4 x 400's as earlier advised, but that is the only multi using 400's I know of, sorry not to be able to help this time.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.