Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Home Built Foamies

Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 AM
nrichardz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Home Built Foamies

Hey Mike sorry I have not updated on anything lately I have been pretty busy here and am on vacation this week due to having surgery getting around pretty good though this is my latest home built maidened it yesterday and it flew beautiful just needs a little more elevater throw it did not loop tight enough for my liking specs are 32 inch wingspan dont know the weight but is setup with 3 hs55 servos 12 amp jeti speed control himax 0980 outrunner and a 1320 TP lipoly 3 cell spinning an 8x6 apc prop which brings me to a question mike plane is pulling 10 amps at full throttle and putting out about 110 watts I had to fly it at full throttle yesterday to get it to perform the way I wanted what would happen if I went up in prop size to an 9x3.8 or even a 9.6 am I going to lose speed or gain what do you think

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46773.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	402959   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43977.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	402960  
Old 02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

You'v got yourself into a whole different ball game with this aircraft, its a fast performer and not suited to low reving motors, you need prop speed and lots of pitch i.e. if you can get hold of one try a 7x7 or even an 8x8 going up to much in dia and pitch will slow the motor down, and if you go up in dia and down in pitch you will increase thrust but not pitch speed whitch is what you need, what you rearly need is a higher Kv motor, don't forgett at full throttle you are only getting 11.1volts out of your LiPo for a short time they will drop to 10volts quickly and according to C rating will drop even more after that, so you need to recalculate your watts rating. How did you measure the Amps, have you the facility to measure revs? and or thrust? Is that a pusher prop, or did you fit an ordinary prop backwards?

I assume the himax is 980Kv from your description if that is the case you posibly are only getting about 6000rpm static with the pop on, 980 being the no load rpm/volt, toooooooo slow, higher KV motor.

I know I'm an AXI nut but the 2212/12 is 1950Kv and needs a 5x5 on 3S1P LiPo's at approx 18amps, food for thought.

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Sorry forgot to ask about your back, glad you are getting around a bit now and that it continues to improve, summers comming and you need to fly, fly, fly.

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
nrichardz

Mike are you still on line I am wondering I have a himaxx inrunner also that is 4200 kv but it is in a gearbox can I take it out of the gear box and run it direct drive to get the rpms that I need the prop is a regular prop that faces forward in the traditional way but the motor is running backwards recommended by my LHS anyway please if you are still online let me know about the motor I am bored already and it will give me something to do today or should I just leave the gear box on it and gear it at 4 to 1 for speed

Rick
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
nrichardz

Mike it wasnt my back I had to have guy surgery if you know what I mean (no more kids)
Old 02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I'm here will give that suggestion some thought, give me a min.

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

Can you change the ratios in the gearbox? if you can get the rpm down to 2000 you could turn you thing into a little screamer.

As to the man thing I had mine done a long time ago, its a very funny story whitch is inappropriate for this forum, I will tell you about it once you have recovered, I would not want you to pull your stitches.

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I can't spell vasectomy either.

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
nrichardz

I know mike I couldnt even say the word let alone spell it I am looking at the drections for the motor right now the highest or lowest I can gear the motor is 4.43 to 1 but it doesnt tell me what the rpm will be himaxx also makes a direct drive motor exactly like mine with out the gearbox and I checked the specs against my motor they are exactly the same just without the gearbox weight rpm and everything they recommend a 4x3 prop for the motor but that seems small to me for as big as the plane is but they say with the 4x3 it will only pull about 10 amps

Rick
Old 02-06-2006, 11:21 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

What do you recon on this, project No 2 for this week, this is in fact my second one of these, the first one tipped stalled on landing and I was not ready for it, destroyed the fibreglass fus, so I have a spare set of wings, I'm thinking of making up a profile fus to fit them to, should be a fun flyer at a very low weight, might even electrify it what do you think?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92437.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	403001  
Old 02-06-2006, 11:24 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

What is the maximum volts the Himax will take?

Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 AM
nrichardz

Mike that plane is great I cant wait to see what you are going to do with it keep me posted the instructions on the himaxx motor show recommondations up to 10 volts but I have been flying them on 3 cell 11.1 volt lipos since the beginning and they seem fine I think pulling the gearbox off and running it direct drive is probably the best option but mike give me a few recommondations for props a few sizes so I can swap them out to see if it makse differences they recommend a 3x2 3x3 a 4x2 and a 4x3 what do you recommend
Old 02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
nrichardz

mike max voltage is 12 volts
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
nrichardz

mike gotta go run an errand real quick but will leave the computer on so please post what I need will be back in a few

Rick
Old 02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
BaldEagel

Rick

If thats the recommended prop size's from the manufacturer its a very low pitch and dia range, but it all accords what revs it will do, your stuck with 3S1P by the look of it as well, and your ESC is only 10amps, we seem to be stimied in all directions, try the 4x3 or a 3x4 if you can get it, put it on the plane start up and see if it will pull out of your hands vertically, can you tach it to see what revs it will do? I'v asked because the prop could be stalled when static and may need forward movement to start the pitch taking hold, in which case the vertical test will not tell you a lot.

You could try to overprop the 4200Kv motor, but will need an analyser to get the right results, at least fing out the amps and rpm on different prop sizes, thinking about this if getting a new motor is not an option, overproping the 4200Kv may be the best route. This would almost deffinatly be stalled at static so would need a fast launch maybe a bungy or an experienced launcher, have you any slope soaring experience? cause chucking it off a slope and then starting the motor is an option as well.

Will keep you posted on the YAK build, I will have my normal Ailivators and Flapperons (well normal to me anyway) on this one as practically all my others have them and I like the increased responce.

Had enough for today its Just gone 1715 and its dark, so I'm going into the house to eat and get ready for my Monday night boys out. Rearly this is just three old boys down the pub.

MIke
Old 02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
nrichardz

Mike I have now got lots of data for you on the two options I have all tests were done with the 3 cell 1320 lipohere are the results by the way plane AUW is 8oz

0980 motor

8x6 prop 8 amps at 85 watts
7x6 prop 7.3 amps at 76 watts

4100 kv motor with 4:43:1 gear box
8x6 prop 9 amps at 95 watts
7x6 prop 7 amps at 80 watts

4100 kv motor (Direct Drive)
5x4.3 prop 19 amps at 191 watts
4x5 prop 18 amps at 170 watts
4x4 prop 18 amps at 173 watts

Well there is my data will wait for your advice (LHS told me they dont even know where to get an 8x8 or 7x7 prop)

Rick
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

That is a really sharp plane. I like the color scheme as well. You get the right motor on that thing, and it is going to really scream. Not a lot of drag there with that long nose and sleek design. I am anxious to see what you end up with for a power plant.

Adam
Old 02-06-2006, 07:48 PM
nrichardz

Mike and adam I decided to pull the outrunner off and put the 2015 4100kv with the gearbox on it with a 4:43:1 gear ratio and an 8x6 prop it is pullung 10 amps with 95 watts of thrust with this setup so it should be fine with this match I will let you guys know how it does Mike thanks for all the help and I am glad that you like it adam
Old 02-07-2006, 04:57 AM
BaldEagel

Rick

I like the looks of it as well, where did you get the idea from? with an AUW of 8onz if that is correct including motor and batteries that thing will scream around the sky with any of the combinations you have detailed, pulling 191watts on an 8onz airframe will give insane speed, but great fun, don't forget the dual rates take off with them low. Let us know how it goes, and I hope the stitches arn't pulling yet.

Mike
Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Adam G

I think you ae going to have rocket ship for sure. Based on my previous track record it would take me about 10 seconds to put it into the gound at mach speed.

Does anyone at your club have a radar gun to clock it? I would love to know the actual MPH.

Adam
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
nrichardz

Mike let me start by letting you know I think I picked the best setup for it I will know for sure tomorrow because I have to go to my other little LHS and the owner is going to check prop RPM for me with the 4:43:1 ratio I hope that it is close to the 2000 you talked about earlier and I called and talked to him today and he was able to get me 2 8x8 props for it will be here in a couple of days so everything has worked out well. as far as the design I found the plans on r/c groups the plane is called an alleycat you may be familiar with it but the original design was only an 17 or 18 inch wingspan and then later on in the thread people were scaling the same plan up and I looked and found the ones for a speed 400 I think that it did come out really well I just really liked the design. Which brings me to a question for you I was on the pc-9 site recently to let adam know about the new plane and I saw your hydrofoam on there I want one BAD so do you have a set of plans or directions for the build or know where I can get one I tried to buy one from mike connely the original designer but the waiting list is too long so please let me know

Thanks Rick

(Yeah Mike the stitches are pulling a bit I was a little slow moving around today and pretty sore but am feeling better now I think I overdid it a little bit yesterday)
Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
nrichardz

Adam I will get that info for you because we have a buddy that flies with us that is a police officer and he clocks the planes all the time when I maidened the new one on Superbowl sunday with the outrunner and the 8x6 prop it clocked in at 59 MPH and I think now with the gearbox on it it will be faster I hope so I would like to see speeds of about 70 to 75 don't sell yourself short though I have only been flying for a couple of years and I didn't think I was capable of the flying skills I have now but the more you fly the more it just becomes natural the plane actually is very stable in the air the rolls are awesome and it is very predictable and landing it is a breeze when I maidened it I brought it in at 1/2 throttle till it was about 5 feet off the ground then just cut the power and gave it a little up elevator and it sat right down and very softly will let you know about the next flight

Rick
Old 02-08-2006, 06:36 AM
BaldEagel

Rick
Glad your healing ok, I took out my own stitches good story, I will tell you later.

My Hydrofoam is the Graupner kit, should be available over there from any LHS that stocks quality, only thing is its not easy to fly tends to be very vertical most of the time to produce enough lift from the narrow wide wing I suppose. unusuall attitude but getting used to it, my pogo is even more strange on vertical take off it just sits in that attitude I need more power to get it to fly horizontal, but the fun is vertical lanndings still trying to perfect those.

Mike
Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Adam G

Rick,

70 to 75 mph would be huge. Thanks for the encouragement on the flying skills. I am one of those guys who likes to be very good at everything I do as far as hobbies go. I learned to play guitar and kept going until I was good enough to play in a bar band. I started scuba diving, and didn't stop until I became an instructor, etc. I feel that I am doing well with flying, but I am always striving to be better. Got another 4 flights in today, nitro trainer and PC-9.

Keep up the good work with your home built foamies. You definately have a knack for design and detail. Your color scheme looks great. Take it easy, I saw a guy at the health club in the shower a few years back that over did it. All I will say is grapefruits. I think you can fill in the blanks. I havn't even started the kid process yet, so I am on the other end of that spectrum.

Adam
Old 02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
nrichardz

Mike got the rest of the info for you today on my plane the weight was wrong from yesterday I had it re weighed today and the weight is 12.5 oz which to me is still pretty light with the 4100kv motor and the 4:43:1 gear ratio I am getting 95 watts and pulling 9 amps the prop RPM is 7500 now you tell me what it is going to be capable of by the way I ordered a hydrofoam today the same one you have the graupner from my LHS it and the 8x8 props should be here next week answer something for me though because I do not know very much about the axi motors in my area they are a lot more expensive so I prefer the himaxx line and eflite line my question is this which himaxx or eflite outrunner motor is equivelent to the axi 2808/26 thanks mike today has been a lot better got lots of rest and am getting around a little better going to try and fly tomorrow or may jut wait till this weekend and fly on sat and sun the weather is supposed to be perfect for the next week or longer

Rick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.