Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Taping Hinges on Flatana

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
2mistakeshigh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taping Hinges on Flatana

I was wondering if anyone has taped the hinges on the Great Planes Flatana. I have built my first Flatana and while attaching the ailerons to the wing, 3 of the plastic clips broke. I called Great Planes and they have shipped me a new plane as a replacement. I decided to go a head and try taping the hinges using hinge tape by applying tape to the control surfaces between the clip points. This seems to have worked as the control surfaces still move fairly freely but not as freely as with only the clips.

When I applied the hinge tape, I folded the airlerons down and applied the tape to the top surface and then repeated this process for the bottom side. The clips are still installed along with the carbon fiber rods. I am ready to install the radio equipment and go fly but wanted anyones advice about the hinging system I have came up with.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Taping Hinges on Flatana

If the ailerons move freely and the tape is sticking well, you should be OK. Be sure to check the tape before each flight to be sure it is sticking.

- Jeff
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
ChopperMike

Yeah, the hinge system for the Flatouts is a joke. I used hinge tape on my Turmoil. Of course it didn't matter much because it was such pig I scrapped after a couple times out because there was just no hope for it.

Mike
Old 03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
GM1

Apparently GP had a run of plastic parts that were very brittle and have offered replacement parts to some folks. I have two of these models, a Turmoil and a Reflection with the stock hardware and they have been perfect. All surfaces will fall under their own weight and I can get massive throws without loading the servos up at the extremes. I have several other models that have tape hinges and they do not work nearly as well as far as load for the servos.
I prestressed all my Flatout hinges by putting them on and off the rods several times before installing them in the foam. As I said, they have been perfect since and work well even under some serious abuse (hitting the gym floor pretty hard, hard enough to pop the surfaces off).
Gordie
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

I have tried "blenderm" tape on several foamies and it seems to be working OK
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM
jdetray

Blenderm works very well. It's what Du-Bro sells as "hinge tape," but it's also available from medical supply companies all over the web.

- Jeff
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
jkhorvath
My Feedback: (1)

These FlatOut hinges are really tough to work with. The first FlatOut I built was a Turmoil and I must have broken (and replaced) half of the hinges. The second one I built was a Flatana. This time I trimmed a very small bit of plastic from the control horn/hinges; that seemed to help a lot. The other hinges, I seem to have good luck if I press two fingers on the top and bottom of the hinge while I SLOWLY press the hinge on; works every time!

The rear landing gear usually ends up being too tight also. This time I spun a drill in the rear landing gear where it goes over the carbon tube. This loosened it up enough to work properly.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
jester125

I agree on the Blenderm, I bought some at the drug store for 1/3 the price of the Dubro hinge tape and its held up very well on the 3 planes I used it on.

Chris