Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

High Wind Designs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Wind Designs

Well, just got impatient with my last build and took it out to the park, this was the first day without rain pretty much in 2 months. The winds were 35mph and gusting upwards at times. I've decided my next plane needs to be built to handle it. Here is my question, what power, motor, battery pack and wingspan ratio should I be shooting for on the next build. I have 2, 350 brushed motors, 2 battery packs and a parkzone 3 channel radio/servos/receiver I've hacked out of a trainer. Obviously I may need more power, but for now, these are prototypes so am not going to kill myself over aesthetics nor upon a giant budget. The last build was 23", it was too small and heavy and only had one motor, should I be going for 40"+ wingspan, what's the threshold before I'm able to at least get some control in these high winds?

Any help or suggestions or direction to go, both plane design wise and scale and power would be helpful, I'd like to be able to use the stuff I have on hand and keeping it electric allows me to fly at that park.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:27 AM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: High Wind Designs

There is a difference between flying in high wind , and flying in high wind with turbulence(which nobody really likes to do) , if U have smooth high wind , you basicly need a plane that flys fast , at least twice as fast as the wind speed U want 2 fly in and is responsive....rotsa ruk[]
Old 01-31-2006, 03:11 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Default RE: High Wind Designs

I tied 2 350 brushed motors, will wire them into seperate battery packs, two props and power sources should make quick work of this element, I just want to prove this design, looks like I'll be embracing dual brushless soon to kick it's butt in my "and many other" areas that just can't fly rc normally, am going to expand upon this with a waterproof model as well .