Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fun with Flat Foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:11 AM
AJ1202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun with Flat Foam

Yours too, hehe, did you see mine attack my pickup, first it dove on it and when it saw it wasn't scared it just attacked it
Well hopefully it will or can work out to at least get a couple afternoon flights in, would be fun
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM
AJ1202

Well just got back from lunch time flights, I got a few good flights in, I did find out however it appears I have a defective RX, I borrowed the RX that was in the stang when it crashed and guess what, yep, I got about the same distance away and seemed to loose control of the plane and it made a unscheduled nose dive that I couldn't pull it out of. It seems as long as I had it close it was OK other than the glitching and unexplained sudden vertical pulls out of level flight for no reason. There was some wind so I'll allow that could have played a role in it. I got some vid to share because there was some good flight in there . The second thing is it's very touchy so my limited skills show up much worse I did wrinckle it a bit again and cracked the fuse but luckily not too bad.
I'll post vids later once I can edit them a bit
Old 03-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

come on guys... yall are talking about not being very good at flying... if you can keep it up...thats all that matters(no pun intended).... ive been flying about 3 years.. everyday...cept when its raining... i find it alot harder to fly my foamies...then my glow planes...it may be b/c i like to flying in 15-20mph winds and try to touch every part of the plane on the ground... ive been trying to touch the rudder to the tree branches lately.. when i get that down.. imma move on to the radio tower just behind the field i fly on.. take a cig pack and put it in the field.. take it up 50ft kill the motor and glide it in.. when you touch down you should be on the cig pack.... if you aim big you will miss big.. if you aim small you will miss small...
Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

whoa! just got back from flying.. all signal was lost... plane came down unhurt(thankfully i was torque rolling about an inch from the ground at very low throttle.. investigate and my thunder power battery connector is MELTED!.. 3rd flight on this battery...grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
five-string

LT, it's gonna have to be something that flies very easily. I had a less than perfect day in the field. My flying skills suck eggs.

I finally got to ROG the Nasty for the first time today. It took some time to get the steering on the ground down but I got two lift offs. Something going on with the esc or interference or I don't know what. The motor slowed way down in mid flight even though I had WOT on the tx. It crashed sofly but broke the prop. When I got to it the motor was turning at idle speed and the only way I could stop the prop was to turn my ch3 trim all the way down. I'm not sure what that was about. I switched lipos after that and a new prop. It flew better but still not good. Broke a second prop. The prop saver musta been on vacation. It was there but it wasn't saving any props!

I have to go over the whole plane and make sure I have everything tight. Didn't get to try the rockets because I was trying a new size prop and ROG's.

Good news is the Mugi is air-worthy. It actually flew pretty darn well considering I am very tail heavy. This is a delta wing design with some airfoil built in. I have a s400 brushed can on the rear and a 11.1 lipo up front and with the rear-heavy design it is difficult to get cg anywhere near where it's sposed to be. It did handle squirrelly and wanted to turn completely around at the smallest gust of wind. I may have to install some serious weight up front to get it centered. Then that thing should scream.

The very first flight I was instructed to give it some up elevon to launch. I had too much and it wanted to porpoise drastically so I brought it down and adjusted the clevises out to make elevons level. It was a big improvement. I made some very sweet and fast, albeit short passes today where it was gittin' along beautifully then I would top the little hill where I fly and it would catch the breeze again and I was fighting to keep control. It is fun and a bl 400 can motor should be interesting I'm running a 6x4 prop and I think I'll keep it on for awile. It's such a flat profile that it just looks mean when it's cruising around a banked turn. Somehow it came home with only a couple very small crinkles at the nose. That's a good day for my planes. Man, I am a rotten pilot.

AJ, I tried to d/l the movie but It said I need a plugin to make it work, Apple Movie something or another. When I tried to d/l the plugin, it just times out and quits. Sorry, Dude. WOuld love to see. the movie.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
airstik2003

nt

yah...
thanks

Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 PM
airstik2003

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19143.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	435501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45994.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	435502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55982.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	435503  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
airstik2003

Name:	Uz69776.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	435509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13067.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	435510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29013.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	435511  
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
airstik2003

here are the last pics

Name:	Ec87112.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	435513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60863.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	435514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35055.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	435515  
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
ntjp2005

Looking good, I remember the build I did. Mine was tail heavy. Ain't it fun cutting, building, and then flying a plane.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 PM
ntjp2005

String,
Man it must be nice to get to fly. Been so busy since the move. Almost 10:00 PM just got home a bet ago. Checked to see what had been posted. I have a few planes in mind, just got to find them. When I get some time. Watched the weather and calling for chance of rain for the next week, every day. Maybe I can get some work done a a new plane. Anyway keep em in the air as long as you can. I hate it when there is a glitch in he system. Takes for ever to figure it out. I can feel for you and the prop saver. Been there done that. You using APC props. I switched to APC and they will make it 3 out of 4 landings (mine at least)
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 AM
five-string

Let me know of any suggestions for a portable foamie.

I think tomorrow I am going to tighten up the Nasty, make some slight down/right motor adjusts and retape my ailerons, they're getting a little sloppy. Supposed to be nice here through the weekend so I am hoping to fly alot. Boy do I need it! I wanna be dropping rockets on unsuspecting vermin in the yard. Gotta be able to keep airborn to do that.

Stick time, stick time, stick time....
Old 03-30-2006, 05:18 AM
AJ1202

38, looking good, bet your ready to get to fly it

String, I hope you find your ghost in the machine with the Nasty, that doesn't sound good
Good to hear the Mugi flew. I'll look at loading all the vid to CD, if it works we'll meet and I'll give you a copy to watch at your leisure

LT, don't worry there's plenty of time, get settled in then build and and the time for flying will follow.

OK guys I picked up the wood last night so my building and or flting is going to be extreemly limited now but I'm gonna follow the post, Keep em flyin
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 AM
five-string

LT, I'm using mostly APC props, that's what I broke two of yesterday. I had been getting very lucky lately and no props broke for a long time. Then yesterday happened.

Today will be better.

38, I saw the parts, now let's see the whole.

Chris, what's with the melted connector? Find any cause?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
five-string

MUGI!

What a bird! Added some wieght, like 3 oz wheel weight under the nose. Also had to add some hot glue to keep motor from pushing forward. Very stable flyer now. I'm gonna have Wife take some photos of flight in a couple minutes....BRB!!

Name:	Wu61877.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	435892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16739.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	435893  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
DogAddict

I have a question about the Blucore. They sell it at my local lowes under a different name. It comes in 4' X 8' sheets 1/2'' thick. Is this the right material? One comes with a skin on it and another is just the foam.

Thanks,

DA
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
five-string

Welcome, welcome, welcome Dogaddict!

No, the FFF (fan fold foam) is only about ¼" thick and comes folded up. 25 panels, each about 3'x2' or so, all connected, if you wanted you could unfold it and have a 3'x50' piece of foam. It's all in one bundle. It may be light blue or pink. That depends on the manufacturer. Either color will work fine. Price is usually $38-42 per bundle. I have seen it at both Home Depot and Lowe's, in the same section as the big sheets of ½" foam you saw.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
DogAddict

Thanks Five-string.

I will have to go look and see what they have again.

DA
Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM
five-string

DA, here's a picture of what you're lookin' for. This is less than half a bundle....

Name:	Ec87427.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	435897  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 AM
five-string

BTW..it seems like alot of money to lay out for just the foam, but I have only been using ONE PANEL for each plane I've built so far. So, if you can't find someone to go halves with you (which is what AJ and I did) you will have enough foam for 50 nice sized park flyers! At $40 a bundle, thats 80¢ per plane. Dig it! Bash 'em! Crash 'em! Then trash 'em!

EDIT EDIT EDIT!!! Geesh. Brain fart!! Â*Â* Do the math, String. Not 50 planes, not 80¢. More like 25 planes and $1.60 per. That's still a bargain!!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM
five-string

Took all day to find a time when the wind wasn't kicking again![>:] BUT... got another good flight in on the Mugi.

I replaced the 6x4 prop with a 8x6 to see if I could get more speed. It definitely slowed the rpms down on the 400 can. But it flew, not really any faster, though and the battery didn't last 10 minutes before the lvc kicked in(maybe that's what it was, maybe not.) When I broght her in for a landing, I saw a puff of smoke come from the plane but couldn't tell where exactly. Turns out the motor was hot enough to slightly burn the foam and my fingers! I thought I overdid it with the bigger prop but I'm only running a 12A esc. Hmmm. I think the motor is the whole culprit here, as it has crash landed several times since I got ahold of it. AJ, this is the one you gave me. I think it's toast. I let it cool down while I put the smaller 6x4 prop back on and stuck my new 1250 ma lipo on and it wouldn't rev up full throttle.

I'm going to do some more testing with all the components before I use any of it for flight again. What fun to fly smoothly and controlled! I think I might bring this one with me to FL Sunday if I get the bug worked out. We turn the clocks back on Saturday so we will have some daylight if you're available, AJ. I know you're working on an important project right now and I don't want to interfer with it in any way.

Don't mean to post so much but I just gotta tell somebody!!

Name:	Fd93464.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	436049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	436050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82548.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	436051  
Old 03-30-2006, 05:03 PM
airstik2003

nt

that's for sure

thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

small prop would give you more speed...nice bird ...
Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 PM
DogAddict

Well I've gone to every building supply store around. No FFF. The LHS doesn't carry Depron either. Looks like I will have to order some in.

DA
Old 03-31-2006, 05:21 AM
AJ1202

String, 8X6 is definatly pushing the motor too hard, 7X4 is borderline, when you run direct drive you have to stay with the smaller props as the motor needs to turn fast, the larger props strain it, BAD, thats the reason for the gear reduction to allow larger props that spin slower, good news the motor is 10.00 so the loss is not bad, but be aware of this, you could have just as easily fryed you ESC
Be carefull when experimenting like that
The mugi looks good in the air

Dogaddict, Welcome aboard, sorry to here your having trouble finding FFF. did you ask them if they could get it. Depron is the stuff, but you have to get it VIA internet and is is more expensive so it's not as forgiving with mistakes on the wallet [] Good luck finding some and we look forward to seeing your build soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.