Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Fun with Flat Foam

Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
ntjp2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fun with Flat Foam

AJ
If you like jets try this site if you have not already seen it. Has a lot of free plans. www.parkjets.com
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
ntjp2005

So do the front wings on the Stalker X1 act as ailerons? If so that should make for some real fun flying. Kind of like having fixed wheels on the front of a car and the rear wheels steer.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:59 AM
AJ1202

I'm still working on ailerons, I have a couple options, I guess once I start the build I'll have to decide for sure. Nice looking F-15, looks like your doing a real good job on it. I have to move the inlaw this weekend so I feel for you moving, don't worry it will be done soon and you'll be back to building and flying before you know it, this is my first full body build so I'm going to take my time as well. I do like the jinx but don't think I'm ready for something like that
Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 AM
five-string

ntjp, don't stay gone too long. I'll have some photos to share with you all maybe by tonight. Not purdy but hopefully functional.

AJ, did you get to a chance to try the Nasty yet?

I haven't tried mine yet. I'm still waiting for my lipos. I threatened to cancel my order if they don't ship by today. I ordered them on Feb 9th! Maxamps.com. I must say I'm getting a little concerned whether this is a scam. I will see when I try to get payment back if it goes that far. They haven't replied to my last email three days ago. [&o] And they claim they answer all inquiries in 24 hours. I'm beginning to get nervous.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
AJ1202

String, I know it's a little late here but I got my lipo from FMA direct and the service was excellent, I hope everything works out with your order and or credit if you cancel it. I got a 3S 1300 for 29.00 and had it in 3 days. I haven't flown the Nasty yet as I am waiting for the lipo safety gaurd and the ESC to lipo connector, I ordered them after so I should get them today, I've decided to build the F-15 and Stalker at the same time, I'm going to use the basic fuse design of the F-15 for the Stalker just making mods to fit the different wing config. and general size as the Stalker is going to be bigger with a 36 to 40" wing span, now that I'm using the EDF motors in the F-15 I'm thinking 480 geared on the Stalker depending on the performance of it on the Nasty. come on String don't be scared lets see some pics
Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM
five-string

Yeah, Ace, that's a really good price on the lipos. Everything I can dig up on Maxamps says they're a great company. They advertise over on rcgroups.com.

Their price was great. The 1000mAh 11.1 packs I ordered are 15C and they were only $31.99 each. They told me two weeks ago they were having problems getting the 1000mAh cells. I emailed them Tuesday and said I would accept a free upgrade to 1500mAh packs if that would get my order shipped but no reply. Maybe I ticked them off!

I have no photos just yet. The parts are still not assembled. Anticipation.....
Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 AM
AJ1202

Whats the build, is it a second Nasty or are you building something new
Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 AM
five-string

I'm building a VTO. Something like this with some small profile changes.....

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200470&page=1&pp=50]VTO thread[/link]

I'll most likely trash it pretty quickly but at this point I'm crashing everything so if I can cut down build time to get into the air more, all the better.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
AJ1202

Cool, let us know how it turns out, I have looked at a couple of those in different variations, just didn't strike my fancy, sort of like flying a frisbee or dinner plate might be a good one to learn how to fly 3-D with as it has such a large wing area, hmm that's sota all it is, wing with a motor and rudder, you need to look at and build a mugi, I'm gonna build another one now that I have this FFF to work with, now that is a cool looking plane, sota like the space shuttle flattened out, the plans are free and it has good instructions as well, let me know if interested and I'll post the link or just type mugi in search on comp and check it out
Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
five-string

AJ, you know I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Sounds interesting enough to look into it. Please post a link to plans and/or build thread so I can simply click on it and be there.

Seriously, I am interested.

Also, I would like to know of your experiences and opinion of this 'mugi' thing...motor and prop, battery ...all the stuff you used.

string
Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
AJ1202

Here you go O helpless one http://www.mugi.co.uk/evo_intro.php?...54b5f2405c9ad7
The one I built I used that heavy foam board and went with the stock set up of 400 motor, the prob I ran into was I was trying to use faulty circuit board from a trashed ABX, I knew the servo's were't working right so I half expected it not to fly, it would have flown except I couldn't get the flaps to move for up half the time and when they did they would barely work and then fall off. Also I think honestly the speed 400 is not really enough to build it to their specs using coraplast, it is as heavy as the foam board, mine could fly but it wouldn't have been very fast, just enough to stay airborn. I don't think folding the FFF will work but if you cut 2 exact body peices and then made a small frame on one side to create the molded look when you glue the top down it will work and look good as well
There is no question to my building another one, it's just a matter of how soon I can get to it. I accepted a challenge to build one and fly it from a bud on BB thread and I'm still bound by it as he is, it's a race of sorts as to see who can get one built and flying first
He too has other builds and planes that have took priority so we put it on hold. he built his per the specs and had probs with enough power to keep it flying, I'm going to build as I described above and use 400 motor and prop for FB using FFF I should be able to get 12oz AUW vs 24 on my last one
Old 03-03-2006, 04:47 PM
five-string

I am the king of helplessness![8D] Hey, if you'er gonna be something, be the best!

Thanks, Ace. I must say, though I think this build is beyond my current skill level. I think I will search out an easier delta wing with pusher prop. I have been in love with the Stryker since forever and think I should be able to find something in FFF to satisfy my desires. Ohh, that sounded dirty.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 PM
five-string

Latest on current project. Taking my time and making this one alot neater than the first build (Nasty).

How do you guys mix and spread epoxy cleanly and efficiently? I haven't come up with the perfect tool yet.

I used the Albatross VTO plan which is somewhat smaller than the thread I posted above. 24"wingspan. 19½" length(tall). The 350 geared goes on but I'm not sure about prop size. I'm figuring around 10-11" prop with 3.5-5 pitch. Slow flying. lots of torque.

Ignore the brown sticks. They were just to keep it sturdy while the epoxy set up...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86099.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	419496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78557.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	419497  
Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
AJ1202

String, that's looking good. hmm epoxy, gotta love it, I just mix it up and use the little plastic thingy that comes with it and just be carefull, I sortof do it like using a quill to write, I make a mess too, I think it's a requirment or something
hey I got the lipo hooked up and with a 10X4.7 she will just lift off vertical from the gound, I think once in the air it will hover, I'm gonna have to try a 11 prop too, I'm aggrivated now because the new cut off switch I ordered won't work, when I hook it up NO motor, unhook it motor works fine. gotta do a little research on this one, well no building tonight but at least I'm ready to do the Nasty
Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 PM
ntjp2005

AJ
I added this to my plans on my laptop. Keep adding planes.... So many to build. Makes me happy
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
ntjp2005

String
Looks really great. You should be proud. The way I mix epoxy is to use the extra flat foam as a mixing board. I put equal amounts side by side. Then I use a flat foam cut about 3 to 4 inches long and the width I cut from 1/2" to 1" depending on the size of the Foam I am working on. If I need to control the epoxy I use one of those credit card things from wal-mart. You know the cards you add money to and use at the gas pump or to buy things. I cut it from 1/4" to 3/4" wide. I use it to mix the epoxy and spread it. What is the gear ratio you are using on the motor?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
five-string

AJ,

Are you refering to the lipo cutoff switch that goes between the battery and esc?

On the VTO: I hooked up one servo on the rudder but need one more servo due to elevon configuration. I wired it up with what I have and fired up the GWS 350 geared. On a full 8.4 1000mah it would lift off the floor slightly.

Man I wish I had my lipos. Two phone calls to maxamps.com got an answering machine but no callback today. Thinking of making a 9.6v 1000mah pack to play with.

ntjp,

It is a 5.3:1 ratio. I am wondering what a bigger prop would do. The biggest I have now is a 9x6 SF.

I am in the process of making a 9.6 1000mah pack right now from some old packs.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 AM
five-string

Update: A new experience for me. I made a new battery pack from old cells...I now have a 9.6v 1000mAh nimh battery pack. Didn't charge it up full from earlier experimenting and it lifted the new VTO right off the floor and held it there, being guided by my hand. I can't imagine what it will do with a lipo. I'm wondering what the brushless 400 on the Nasty will do with this new pack. Hmmm.

One of these days I'm actually gonna fly an airplane outside again. Winter sucks.

AJ, any plans to visit LHS? I'm wanting a couple big props to try......
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 AM
AJ1202

Yes, I will be picking up some props as well, I have some 10X4 now if you want a couple let me know, I have to help move this weekend but I'll be checking in so let me know what size your interested in. Yes I was using the lipo and the new cut out, turns out my batt is low and needs charging , hmm could hover while at a low charge, wonder what it will do fully charged. I hope to find out Sunday if the wind lays down and i have the time
Old 03-04-2006, 09:29 AM
five-string

SO the cutoff was working perfectly..that's good news!

Really anxious to hear how your flight goes. No flying for me today, wind is steady and strong.

I want to get a 1047, 1147, and a 1260 prop or as close as you can get to those three numbers. Also I would like a 6.6 gearbox for the 350 if there is one available.

Thanks and GOOD LUCK on the maiden!! Woo Hoo!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:10 PM
five-string

I cancelled my order with maxamps.com this morning. The guy was very pleasant and said he would refund my money immediately. He's having issues with customs in Washington state. They are searching all his shipments. Bummer. That was some killer prices on 15C packs, too. He's out of most everything right now.

Now I have to find another good deal on batteries...

Found it: truerc.com great prices!! cheap shipping!! Yay! I ordered a 7.4 and a 11.1 both 1000mah/15C shipped for $63. Come On UPS Man!!!

btw, I made a device to discharge my nimh's further. After running my pack down till the motor would run anymore (Shun Da esc/350 geared motor), I checked with meter and still had 9.06 volts on a 9.6v pack! After hooking up this thing I had 1.6 volts about 20 minutes later..

(discharging a 7.2 pack in picture)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97736.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	419947  
Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

guys lowes in my area has foamcore on sale for $12.60 for a .23x48x600 sheets (50ft) they are changing from the blue stuff w/ "foamcore" written on it to the same stuff w/o it written on it .. the sign said was 35.70 NOW 12.60.. so i picked up 100ft! of it...
Old 03-04-2006, 03:37 PM
five-string

Lucky pup! Now you have no choice but to use it![X(]
Old 03-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

...5.... i guess i am forced to .. the other half just looked at me crazy when i said "ill take two bundles"... already have one cut out and ready to assemble.. i have so much foam i may play around w. a built up version...side force gen's ..maybe a plane inverted on a plane w/ 2motors ...hummm maybe a vto like you are building...hmmm or maybe ill just go out and fly my glow planes.. they are alot more fun and alot bigger... or maybe ill just fly foam for a minute and do some rudder touchs and other stuff i cant do w/ my glow planes for fear of breaking something...hmmm THE CONFUSION!!!!! LOL
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 PM
ntjp2005

Chris
You are not too far from me. I sure hope they do the same here. I will have to check Monday. I might even get by there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, hope it pays off. The hardest part will be explaining to the wife why I need all the foam. Think she would belive me if I said it was to insulate the shed???? LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.