Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

flat foam types

Old 03-09-2006, 09:51 AM
kzimmerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat foam types

What are the differences between depron and fan fold foam? Strength vs. weight? how stiff are the two materials, and which one would be best for a first time flat foamy builder? I realize these are very general questions, but all of my building experience has been with balsa and hardwood, very little foam.
Thanks!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
AJ1202

Default RE: flat foam types

I think the biggest difference is going to be in the final outcome of the build in appearance, the depron is clean smooth and flat
the FFF is thicker and just a bit wavey, it is a little thicker as well
There is some difference in weight but depending on the build and motor set up it may not be sugnificant IMO
Both have their weaknesses so it IMO it boils down to how good do you want it to look when finnished, also the FFF will only bend in one direction without breaking, if you bend it length wise your OK but if you try to bend it the other way it will crack and break
I am new to building flat foam and chose to start with FFF, I have not regreted it, I am currently working on a project that will incororate both FFF and depron
I hope this helped
Old 03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

FFF was my first w. foamies...homebuilt anyway
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
jdetray

Depron is readily available in three thicknesses: 2mm, 3mm, and 6mm. This lets you do interesting things like use 6mm for formers, spars, and other interior structures, then use 2mm or 3mm to sheet the structure.

For comparison, BlueCor FFF (fan fold foam) is about 6mm.

BlueCor has a thin plastic film on both sides. This film can be peeled off or left in place. If peeled, BlueCor becomes pretty flexible and fairly easy to form into complex curves. However, if the film is left in place, it adds a great deal of strength.

Both Depron and BlueCor can be bent easily if heated with a heat gun. The foam will then hold its shape. My 47" BlueCor Cub has a heat-formed undercambered wing. Note the cowling, made from peeled BlueCor -- very easy to bend without heat. Except for the cowling, I left the film on the BlueCor, except for glue joints, where I peeled the areas to be joined.

Here's some additional info about foam:
http://www.deprontexas.com/
http://www.foamfly.com/help.php?section=what

And for inspiration, you must check out at least one of J Morgan's build threads so you know what is possible with FFF. This fellow is amazing:
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413748]New Me-163 Build in Fanfold[/link]

- Jeff