Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

I can't wait to meet all you guys, It looks like we got a great day for it too. Let's hope that the wind stays away and we get in some solid flight time today. See you by the swingsat around 2.00pm!!

Todd

P.S. Give me a buzz on the mobile if you can't find the place. (E-mail or PM me for the number)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 AM
jaskel

well great day and a great bunch of blokes...had some good flights and good to see George get the cessna up.....for a little while too

Will def have to do it again and next time ill stay longer...ok im off to up the coast, cyas

Jas
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 AM
tigerGT

heheheh

Yeah it was an awesome day.

I think we should do it more often, at least once a month so we have time to rebuild our planes (or i should say my plane). Monthly is good because at least everyone can ensure they will turn up. Or maybe once per fortnight. I enjoyed seeing Hans planes and also good to see a variety of planes. Considering buying the slow stick or the firebird. Or should i rebuild the cessna! I think I just want to fly the cessna before I move on just so i can feel like i won! I beat the Cessna 182!!

What are the odds of breaking a wing 45 feet in the air and avoiding a near miss from jaskels nose dive that narrowly missed my sattionary Cessna

I think the RC Cessna Gods are against me!!!! None the less I must say I dont really care that I crashed it coz it was worth the flight! thanks guys for the tips!

Its a shame Jon's mugi didnt get far !! It looked great though but i guess it just weighed too much!!

Todd, great flying! We were all lucky the wind was that low. I cant see the slow stick flying in any more winds than what we saw today...

anyone have any spare cessna parts for sale!! hehehe

Anyway great day!!!
hope to do it again!!!

sorry only had camera phone and couldnt get many pics of all ur planes but guys upload any cool pics of the planes if u got them!

Also no one in my family nor myt fiance believes that i actually got it airborne so if anyone has proof of my plane flying please advise!!! help!!!

heheh cya

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93795.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	456290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10106.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	456291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33983.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	456292  
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Good to catch up with everyone and put faces to names.

A 3:1 gearbox is now next on the Mugi list . Then we'll see if it fly's, then I can show TigerGT he's not alone at his skill level.

I've added a few pics here and I'll email a link to the group pics unless it's OK with everyone to post them here.

TigerGT, you need to tell them that doing that much damage to your plane, it must have been flying.

Name:	Zx70850.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	456294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49717.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	456295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84812.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	456296  
Old 05-05-2006, 07:54 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Oh Tiger, in the prolific words of the great Britney Spears "OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN!" Let's hope this doesn't become your catch-cry!! I can confirm that prior to your plane's quick journey to terra-firma you were flying very well indeed and you only crashed due to a freak accident. A mechanical airframe failure would probably be the correct definition!! A folded wing at high altitude certainly isn't a common occurance, it was the first one I've ever seen...

Whatever you do George, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! Everyone crashes a plane now and then, the best thing about it is that it's kind of fun to actually repair them. You'll get a real sense of achievement when you actually get it back up in the air and conquer the beast that is the Cessna 182.

Having seen it up close it's really not that bad!! I'd say it was almost totally repairable. Get yourself a syringe of two-part 5 minute epoxy resin ($2.00 at the reject shop) some 1mm X 10mm carbon fibre rod flats, a few other carbon rods of various sizes, some bamboo skewers, possibly a new cowl, motor, prop & adapter and you'll be back up in the air before you know it.

If you're not keen to try it I'm happy to have a go at fixing it for you buy the parts... but it just looks a lot worse than it really is and it would be terrific practice for you to have a go at fixing it yourself.

On the day though, I'd like to thank everybody who came. It was quite short notice and luckily we got a near perfect day to fly. I think we had about ten people there which was terrific and it turned out to be one of the best days of RC flying I have ever had!! Very interactive and a lot of interesting planes to look at!!

How good was Han!! Great looking planes and a great RC pilot. A great bunch of guys (& gal) too!! I can't wait for the next one...

LETS DO IT AGAIN!!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:41 AM
MiniKatana

Hey guys, thanks for a great day of flying.

tigerGT that crash was amazing champ, the best I've seen yet!!!! but as ABC said don't get DISCOURAGED and keep flying. I guess your one of the lucky ones to have such a great bunch of blokes willing to help ya along the way.

ABC thanks for the kind words mate, I was definatly impressed with every ones flying, and that slow flyer was one fine aeromodel. My Ultra Fly Ultimate is just about ready for another day in the air and I'm hopeing to have the Mini Katana set up with a AXI 2808 and get it back to its forma glory[>:].

Anyways guys, thanks again and we'll catch up in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Absolutely!! Hey, has anybody got any suggestions for our next flying venue?? Personally I don't mind travelling a bit if sombody can suggest a better park than the one we used yesterday. I live at Bass Hill so Doyle ground is a bit of a drive anyway, although somebody said that there was another good one just around the corner. I hear there a a few good parks over in the east and probably everybody here could suggest somewhere so lets see some suggestions!!

What's a good day and time for us to aim for our next meeting too??

On another note, I just uploaded the video from the digital still camera strapped to the underside of the Slow Stick. For anybody interested click here...

http://media.putfile.com/First-Big-A...Fly-Meet-Large (Broadband Quality Approx 9Mb)

http://media.putfile.com/Big-Aussie-Fly-Meet (Dial-Up Quality Approx 2.5Mb)

...and my first attempt at arial video with a similar setup. 900Mah NiMh instead of 3 cell 1800Mah Lithium Ion. You'll love this one, it shows what can happen in RC flying if you're an idiot and don't fully charge your NiMh battery packs...

http://media.putfile.com/First-Attempt-at-Arial-Video (Broadband Quality)

http://media.putfile.com/First-Video-Flight-Small (Dial-Up Quality)

Cheers!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:21 AM
jaskel

ill post some pics later guys...post em all up if you have any...ill also post some vids.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Mozzie61

Hey guys, great to meet you all and stir the embers again. My r/c thumbs are twitching and it's probably not long before I venture back out with my own gear. Thanks to Han for the fly of his sleek plane, and the entertainment with a great hover/torque roll/crash!!

Put together a video from the day which you can download from here [link=http://www.beckyandgary.net]http://www.beckyandgary.net[/link] - look for the Sydney Park Fly link on the left hand side. Right click to download is the best way to view - warning file is 18.8 Mb, so apologies to anyone not using broadband.

Hope to catch up again sometime soon, and in the meantime I'll be checking out a few r/c shops for sure!

Gear up and happy flying!

Cheers
Gary
Old 05-07-2006, 04:26 AM
jaskel

Nice vid.....I hope to have another fly soon..I should have my motor running this week.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:29 AM
tigerGT

Hey Gary

That was an awesome awesome video!!!
Im sure you will have a plane before our next get together. Maybe you should buy one for mothers day.
Thanks for the video!

Hey han what is the mini katana? Is that hte blue stunt plane?

Hey Todd,

I laughed when i saw your first digital camera video when you ran out of batteries. Thats a pretty cool vid. Im looking for a nice shell. Han recommended the striker. I am looking into it now.

Jaskel, what was your plane called. that looked really easy to fly and pretty light too so im thinking it wont fall as hard. I will be defintely using LiP batteries for next flight. Extra weight only makes the plane fall harder...

Someone said there was a really large place near waragamba dam. I have never been though.

Oh well I am in for sure for the next park fly.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 AM
jaskel

My glider was the Freedom Flyer.

Jamison Oval at Penrith is a good oval..man there is heaps of places to fly all over Sydney...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Aussie_Toyman

After a few discussions on Messenger we have some choices:-

Alternate between South meeting place and West meeting place or,

Find somewhere central between Penrith/Blacktown/Bass Hill/Rockdale.

We should try for every two weeks if that fits with everyone's roster's. Gives me a chance to limit the 'we really shouldn't do major changes on Friday afternoon' saga's. So we're looking at 19th May for the next Group Fly.

Whats everybody think?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:00 PM
MiniKatana

hey Gary thats one impressive video mate!!!!!!!

I'm up for the 19th for another meet for sure. I'll be there!!!!!!!
On the location topic, I know of a places in Home Bush Bay off Bennalong Rd, and there's a nice field in Bellavista off Old Windsor Rd. The parks are a little smaller but it does have short grass and the one at Homebush have no signs for us to worries about.

George the Katana Mini was the purple one champ. Just in case anyone else is thinking of getting one or just want to find out more about it, here's the link to their site as well as the link to the distributors of my other planes.

[link]http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/[/link] Katana Mini
[link]http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1075.html[/link] Ultimate
[link]http://www.modelengines.com.au/awesome%20rc.htm[/link] Cyclone
[link]http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/[/link] Katana60 the bigger brother
Old 05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
jaskel

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Toyman

After a few discussions on Messenger we have some choices:-

Alternate between South meeting place and West meeting place or,

Find somewhere central between Penrith/Blacktown/Bass Hill/Rockdale.

We should try for every two weeks if that fits with everyone's roster's. Gives me a chance to limit the 'we really shouldn't do major changes on Friday afternoon' saga's. So we're looking at 19th May for the next Group Fly.

Whats everybody think?

sounds good to me
Old 05-08-2006, 04:40 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

The 19th sounds great for me too. I'll be there... just let me know where and I'll bring the boiled lollies!!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:43 AM
jaskel

hmm...now I am concerned [:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 AM
jaskel

Here are a couple of pics i took with my phone, ill post vids soon too;

Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Hey all, here are some of the pics I took on the day...

If you guys have any more post them in here...

Cheers
Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

So, are we going to aim for the 19th of May as our next Big Aussie Fly Meet?? Any suggestions as to the venue?? Let's get this show on the road again...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

...Im looking for a nice shell. Han recommended the striker. I am looking into it now.
George,

Kellett's Hobbies at Liverpool had the entire F-27 Stryker body kit a while ago for around the $90.00 mark. I dare say you'd be able to use the salvagable electronics from your Cessna to power it up. You'll need to buy a V-tail mixer (About $20.00) and a reverse pusher prop. Depending on the damage to your motor you may need another one of those too but I'd say that for around $120.00 you'll be back in the air with the Stryker. Same servos, ESC, motor, TX, RX, battery just need V-tail mixing and you're set!!

The offer is still open if you want me to help you repair your Cessna though, I believe you live pretty close to me at Chester Hill (I'm at Bass Hill) so a couple of days working on it with a few dollars for spare parts and I'm sure you'd have that Cessna back in the air before the 19th!!

Cheers

Todd
Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 PM
MiniKatana

Ok, here are my suggestions for the venue, both of the field do NOT have No Flying signs. But they might be a little far for some of you guys.

1) Meadowbank Park off Adelaide St (Meadowbank NSW) - Huge Field. Actually there are about 5 or 6 large fields to choose from and they are all away from main roads and buildings
2) Wenworth Common off Marjorie Jackson Pky (Homebush Bay) - Little small but large enough for Park flyers No signs also away form building and main roads just encase of emergency landings and crashes.

Cheers

Han
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 AM
tigerGT

Hey Guys,

Looks like I will be rapairing my Cessna under todds guidance. Todd advised that I could fix it all and wouldnt need to buy any parts however after having another look today i am starting to wonder. I know it is easy to fix the fuselage cracks but I dont know how we could repair the fact that it is bent upwards. Surely wont fly as it should or is there a way of bending these things back into place?

The wing is broekn in 3 pieces but htat doesnt worry me as easily repairable.

the servo's have broken out of place. Again some epoxy here. Servo's are still functional. need a new motor and may also need the shaft adapter as this has bent up as well. Suprisingly the prop is ok.

here are some pics of the wreck.... i have work on the 19th but am aiming for completion by the next fly And will chuck a sickie or somethng

anyway im cool with whatever park you guys decide on. I wouldnt mind a park with some terrain. i.e mountain or some sort of structure. Would be awesome for photos..

Name:	Mk27438.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	459032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10525.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	459033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21867.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	459034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46221.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	459035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27085.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	459036  
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 AM
MiniKatana

Hey George

Good to see the engineering side come out of ya mate. Hey if your after a brushless motor I've got one spare for ya.
Its an outrunner which means you won't need a gearbox and its happy swing a 10 ~ 11 inch prop or you could use a 8 ~ 9 inch with a little more pitch on it. So lets say a 9x 6 inch prop. Your Cessna will turn into a rocket!!!!!!!!! and you shouldn't have issues with it being under powered. But you'll need to buy a 25 ~ 30Amp brushless controller. Let me know if you want it.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Do you want the geographical features in the background, or on the flying field?

One will give you interesting pictures, the other will make for interesting flying .

Edit:-

There is a park at Mays Hill/Parramatta that we may be able to fly in called Ollie Webb Reserve which is in the valley between the Gt Western Hwy and the M4 next to Pitt St which is plenty big enough. I should be down that way sometime in the next few days so I'll make sure we are allowed to fly there.

Did you know the middle of Bass Hill and Penrith is close to Blacktown .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.