Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Old 04-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

I have the Boomerang back together, and the Cessna is back to A/E/R/T, but unfortunately I cant make it tomorrow [&o].
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Jon,

Boomarang, Cessna, & the Pico Tiger Moth!! Is this the most planes you've ever had airworthy at one time?? Can't wait to get out again and test out the Stuka again!! Had a great morning of flying today with Brett and George. Had a real "Retro-Flight-Day" flying some of my old stuff I haven't touched for 12 months or so. Took out the old Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger (I_Love_My_ABC) and I'm pleased to say that it still flies as well as the first day I bought it!!

Also took the Cessna for a few laps with the new elevator servo finally installed. Ran two packs through it but it spent most of it's time in the air being trimmed out. The wind picked up a bit so I couldn't bring myself to fly the Stuka today or the Turmoil. Next time!! Brett had one of his mates with him too, he was flying the new Parkzone Spitfire. WHAT A BEAST!!! The low flybys were simply supurb!! Just like being at an airshow!! Very tempted to pick up the ARF version which is around the $150.00 mark including airframe, motor and gearbox. Only $100.00 more for the full RTF kit with battery, TX/RX and servos already installed but the radio is only a 27mhz cheapie and I don't need any more proprietry TX's!!

All up it was a decent morning in the air and great to get some of the cob-webs out from the itchy stick fingers...
Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Aussie_Toyman

I took to Cessna for a fly this afternoon as well as some taxi practice with the Boomerang. Cessna flew great, and now I know why its called a Boomerang.

I've never done so many doughnuts before. It took all my time just keeping it straight, though a few times I got the tail to lift and it was a bit more stable. I swapped my 10x5 APCe back to a 9x4.5 APCe which made it a bit easier to control, though I think for the first few flights I'm going to hand launch.

Sooner or later I'll catch up with all the guys from the South-West .
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Jon,

Is your Boomarang still trying to pull to the left?? The reason I ask is that Brett's had one hell of a time trying to get his Harvard AT-6 up in the air. He swaped over the Himark outrunner for a BM2410-08 outrunner and it kept pulling and trying to roll to the left no matter what he did with it!! Seemed to have plenty of power there but as it tried to roll he had to lower the throttle to the point where it stalled on him and wham!! Smashed in the firewall and destroyed the cowling. Pretty much identical flight characteristics to when he had the original motor in it!!

We seem to think it's the plane more than the motor combination, and Brett's well and truly convinced me to sell my still boxed Harvard AT-6 on Ebay, I think it's way too much plane for me to handle... but he's sure one frustrated flyer at the moment and we both had a discussion this morning about the relative merrits of staying with RTF kits over building ARF's. After seeing how well the Parkzone Spitfire flies, It's looking likely that Brett and I will soon be the proud parents of a new pair of twins!!

No flowers please, just send money... about $250.00 would be nice!!
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Yeeeeeees. After another frustrating morning Todd is right. I'm doing some soul searching as to where to head with this hobby. I tried to build a couple of planes with no specific details of power trains and man do I have a lot to learn. My wing just won't fly, doesn't have enuogh power. My Texan just torque rolls to hell!! too much power. The ones I have built with power train specified have been ok. But I still have to say they didn't all fly great. It's frustrating to spend 5 - 10 hours building a plane that won't fly well, or at all only to have someone turn up at the field with a plane they put together in under an hour that just flies so nice. Two guys I fly with now have rtfs, Parkzone Spitfire, Parkzone Typhoon which comes with two props and is basically two planes in one, fast aerobatics, slow 3D, Hobbyzone Super Cubs, Ultafly PC9 and they all fly GREAT!!! All up there probably isn't 5 hours build time with all of them put together.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

I spent the night wondering myself!! Today I think I'll be scouting around trying to find the best price on the Spit... and then I'll figure out how I'll be able to pay for it!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Mr Kamikaze

oh oh I think I cursed my friend with the PC9. After saying how well it flew yesterday this happened today. Doh!

http://planes.digitalfirefight.com/i...og_Tue_10/4/07

DOH!!!

DOH!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I loved that plane!! It's a real turd sometimes with foam... on the one hand, it comes apart so easily in a crash, but on the other hand, crash damage that looks terminal can 9 times out of 10, go back together perfectly leaving little sign of any damage or that it was almost destroyed.

As bad as that looks, it'll glue back together very nicely, just hope the firewall isn't too badly damaged and the motor is OK. Tough break James, but we live and learn by them don't we...

Hope to see the PC-9 up in the air again soon!!

Cheers!!

Todd
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Hey, anybody keen for an early flight in the morning?? Hammondville, Bass Hill, Ermington, Parramatta even Back Of Bourke... anywhere's fine with me, just text me and I'll be there!! Forecast is for calm winds and partly cloudy cover but NO RAIN!!! I'm planning wheels up at around a 7.00am... absolute best time of the day!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Aussie_Toyman

Sorry I didn't see your post till now [].
Flew at Doyle Ground at 9.00am with the Cessna and Boomerang.

Scores:
Cessna - 1, Doyle Ground - 0
Boomerang - 0, Doyle Ground - 1

Helper hand launched the Boomerang at half throttle, and it still turned hard left and broke off one landing gear as it hit the ground. Next time I'm putting in some (50%) Aileron/Rudder Mix for takeoff and turn it off if/when I get airborne.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

That's exactly what happened to Brett's AT-6 Harvard. It's been such a flakey flyer that It's convinced me to sell off both of mine, (One from Tony & one from Kellett's), via Ebay and I'll persist with the Stuka even though it's flying characteristics have been remarkably improved thanks to Martin's intervention with his clothes iron!!

I've bitten the bullett and ordered a full RTF Parkzone Spitfire MKIIB through Tony, (Radical Hobbies) with the reckoning that I've had much less hassels and far fewer problems with Hobbyzone & Parkzone gear. I'm still flying the Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger three years down the track on the original wing and tail and to date, I've never had a radio glitch on me. I've still got the little Firebird Scout which also flies like the day I bought it, and I've come to a point in the hobby where I'd much rather be flying than building or repairing smashed ARF's!!!

I did get out early this morning too, flew the little Turmoil until the motor stopped running mid-knife-edge... Don't know why yet, ESC?? Motor?? I'll have a look tomorrow, but I did discover, as a matter or urgency infact, that the flat-wing Turmoil does glide!! Actually, it was the best landing I've ever done with it!! I also took the recently demolished and repaired Slow Stick out as well and it flew teriffic with the 9x7 prop. It's once again nice and slow!! I'll bring it along to the next indoor night and see what happens...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Mr Kamikaze

YEP!!! Sounds like the same thing alright.

Well after a 7 day self enforced break from flying I'm back! And the Tensor is the first plane ready to go again. Amazing what you can accomplish with a five dollar hot glue gun.

I'd post pics but the technology has me baffled.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77031.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	665715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85754.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	665716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46479.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	665717  
Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Mr Kamikaze

oh... it worked
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Nice repair Brett, but I would suggest a bit of solid stick time in the park before you attempt to fly it indoors again!! When are you guys free again?? Got to get this Stuka up in the air again...
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 AM
Mr Kamikaze

ORIGINAL: I_Love_My_ABC

Nice repair Brett, but I would suggest a bit of solid stick time in the park before you attempt to fly it indoors again!! When are you guys free again?? Got to get this Stuka up in the air again...
I'd like to get in the air this weekend. Anyone else up for it???
I'm on holidays this week so spending time with the family but also getting my hangar in order. Latest on the repairs list is my Precision Aerobatics Electric Shock. It needed a nose job and a wing tip fix after about 100 crashes. I stripped the covering off both and used a combination of hot glue, epoxy laminated depron, ultracote and magic tape. I'll do anything to keep this plane flying.

Name:	Yv66256.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	666448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41899.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	666449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19641.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	666450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41310.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	666451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73544.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	666452  
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Who is up for 7:30am at Hammondville on Sunday 22/4/07???
Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

I'm there!! Got a couple of mates coming over too so we'll try to be there around 7.30am... Hopefully I'll have the Spit by then too so I'm looking forward to a big morning of RC flight!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Aussie_Toyman

ABC almost didn't get his Spitfire....I was at the shop before he got there, and if my Tiger Moth 400 hadn't arrived I could have had a Spitfire as a replacement, hehehe.

Don't think I'll make it this Sunday, debating the distance between my place and the field. I may just spend the time building the new plane, hope the weather is good for you all.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah, it is a bit of a hike for you, how about next time we find a more central location ie. Ermington or Parramatta. We all need to increase our flight hours... Oh, and you just keep your grubby little mittens off my Spitfire!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Mr Kamikaze

13 hours and counting!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:37 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Hammondville Fun Fly 22/04/2007

It was a successful morning all round. I maidened the Spitfire this morning too and was extremely pleased with it's performance. Didn't even have to trim it, the plane flew perfectly true right out of the box, actually, just like the box said it would!! I will post some better pictures and some short videos from this morning when I get back to work on Tuesday, (Shift worker) and have access to the T3 fast broadband connection.

Assembly was a breeze too with only three screws to hold on the wing, and 4 small pieces of tape to lock the elevator in place. Charge the battery and fly!! A real pleasure compared to the stress of the tip-stall-monster the Stuka and just about every other ARF I've ever built. George was king enough to give me a few flight tips on how to fly the Spit, and also hane launched it for me. It took off at full throttle after a firm hand launch and climbed at around 40 degrees. The plane was totally stock with the 9 cell NiMh pack and had oodles (The proper electronic term...) of power and the throws were set on the lowest settings but on high rates in line with George's valued advice.

Loops and victory rolls were done with ease and it flew very scale!! The low passes were everything you go to an air show for!! All up the Spitfire is just one of those great flying, no hassel gems that should be a part of every warbird nut's collection... Who wouldn't like a Spitfire in their hangar anyway?? Out of the box and in the air in the 40 minutes it takes to charge the battery!! That's my kind of flying!!! Parkzone are just getting better and better...

Brett also maidened his E-Flight Mini-Pulse without any real problems to speak of, and managed to land it beautifully with only one wheel!! (Video to follow shortly) Also flew the Turmoil, Slow Stick and took the Stuka out for some easy flying. It's such a pleasure to come home from the field happy and without sustaining any damage for a change!!

George and ben flew several of their planes too and despite a couple of misshaps, and a broken fuse on Ben's Tigershark EDF, they both had a great morning too... We kicked off at 7.00am and the next time we looked at the clock it was after 11.0am so we all packed up and made the journey home happy and content, at least until the next crash.

Cheers

Todd
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Mrs Toyman and I took out the Pico TM this morning and she spent over 15mins flying. Sooner or later I'll be able to get her to do takeoffs and eventually landings.

I put the Cessna up with a 9x7.5 HD prop but it didn't seem to make any noticable difference. I think my 2S 1800mA LiIo battery is getting a bit old and is having trouble supplying the needed current. We were going to head out for a fly this afternoon but the storms put paid to that [>:].
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Here's the video of our meeting on Sunday. There's three maidens, two perfect and one that didn't go as planned, a great save by landing with only one wheel and of course, my Parkzone Spitfire maiden flight. Cheers!!

Hammondville Fun Fly 22/04/2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKijA3MXVM
Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Mr Kamikaze

How good does the Spitfire look on flyby!!!

Name:	Ay73485.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	671788  
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Not bad Brett...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.