Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 AM
DinoR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

I must come and check out the PARKZONE Spitfire one Sunday morning. My mate and I fly the F27 Stryker Brushless which is a blast. I live at Epping but he lives at Beverly Hills and we cath up regularly and fly near his place ( wonderful size field next to soccer grounds, will find out the name if your interested) . - regards D
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Count me in DinoR, you can never have too many flying buddies...

Found these shots of the Super Cub and Parkzone Spitfire on Wattflyer and also a few that Ian took on Sunday morning...

Cheers!!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Hey DinoR that sounds good. I'd love to see those Strykers fly for real!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
DinoR

Whens your next planned get together ?...maybe give me the next couple and I'll let my friend know.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

When are you free??

I'm off work untill next Wednesday and I've got a couple of mates who are keen to get out in the next day or two, possibly Friday around noon, probably over at Ermington. Does that work for you??

We fly on the lower baseball grounds of George Kendall Reserve. Access is from Spurway Street in Ermington. The Google map location is here...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UT...45.834961&om=1

Anybody else who's keen for a fly let me know!!

Cheers!!

Todd
Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Funsters,

Just finished upgrading my old Phoenix EPP wing. The damn thing has never flown more than about ten meters and usually ended up with a hard impact nose into terra firma. I pulled it out again after several months of being stashed away in the box up in the garden shed. Decided to give it another go!! Stripped away the stock 480 brushed motor and electronics in favour of a BM2408-21 and 18 amp ESC. Threw in a couple of servos, 6 ch Feigao RX and a 3S 1300mah LiPo all spinning an 8 x 4.3 prop, and it seems to have ten times the thrust and half the weight of the stock setup!!

If it doesn't fly after all this then I give up!!!

When are you guys keen to fly again?? Looking forward to finally seeing the Phoenix up in the air as opposed to half burried in the dirt...

Todd
Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Well... After two massive torque rolls with this plane I have downsized the brushless to about half of what it was and gone back to a 2 cell lipo. Also running an 8x6 prop. The fixes after the last crash have taken about 2 hours using the hot glue gun and I can now even fit the original spinner on the front. I had to put a fair bit of weight on the front to get the CG right but that's ok. It has enough thrust to want to pull out of my hand at full throttle so should be ok. We shall see!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24098.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	675205  
Old 04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Brett,

I'm back at work on Wednesday night so how about a meeting early on Thursday morning over near Eastgargens?? Got this wing I'm keen to get up in the air again and haven't flown the the Spit since last Sunday!! Are you keen???

Todd
Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Aussie_Toyman

I can make the Eastgardens meet on Thursday barring anyone springing an early meeting on me as they usually do whenever you guys look like flying.

I got a nice new 1500mA 3S LiPo tp try in the Boomerang.

There is always old reliable Mr E-Go Cessna, and Pico Tiger Moth with his new United Hobbies Outrunner making Takeoffs even shorter.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Ok re-maidened the Texan this morning after a rebuild with new less powerful motor and battery combo. Actually it was the stuff I took out of the GEE BEE 3D. Hoped this would stop the torque rolls and it certainly did. Only this time after a hand launch it climbed to about 15 feet then nosed down and dived in hard. I'm over it. NEXT!!!

Thursday morning is good for me. Everyone ok for Back of Rowland Park Kingsford around 7:15am?

Can anyone else on here make it???

Name:	Pn37896.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	675852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66164.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	675853  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

I'm there!! Got the wing and the spit packed in the car ready for some early morning flight action....
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Aussie_Toyman

The car's loaded with Pico Tiger Moth, E-Go Cessna and Boomerang.

I'm taking bets on how many pieces of Boomerang I bring home [] but only if the wind is down.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

This is what happened to my Phoenix wing this morning...

It was the funniest thing I've seen in my three years of RC flight. It took off and immediately torque-rolled upside down and smacked into the edge of the concreete cricket pitch shearing both fins off and depositing them on the opposite side of the plane!! It took about 30 seconds to realise exactly what had happened but we all burst into laughter shortly after!!

All repaired now and ready for the next attempt!!

Cheers!!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

The Phoenix wing flew for the first time this morning!!!

...admittedly, not very well, but it did fly three or four circuits of my local park at around 3/4 throttle and I even managed to bring it in relatively softly for a semi-belly landing. After glueing the fins back in place last night at work and re-shaping the nose cone, I decided to take it out for a spin on the way home this morning.

First of all I sent the Spitfire up for 10 minutes of stress-free flight to get the fingers working and then I tossed the wing into the air. Three crashes later, and after some experimentation with the C.G. point and throttle level, she lifted of beautifully and climbed out to about 50 meters on about half throttle. I assume that launching at full throttle was the cause of the torque-roll so with this all corrected I began to actually fly it. It's very nimble and super responsive in the air. Rolls are very quick and positive but at full throttle it does porpoise slightly so I was unable to see exactly how fast the top speed is.

Over the next few sessions I'll continue to tweak the C.G. and fine tune the flight characteristics to a point where I'll be able to fly it regularly, safely and at full throttle!! It's just a pleasant surprise to finally have this thing up in the air. My biggest challenge will be to find the perfect C.G. point... I wasn't aware that wings were so, so sensitive to C.G. changes because even a couple of millimeters seems to make a huge difference to the way it handels in flight!!

I'll get there eventually, and finally the search has begun!!!

Cheers!!

Todd Clarke
Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Aussie_Toyman

Did you know it was 12 months ago we first flew together at Doyle Ground?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

I didn't buy you any flowers or chocolates if that's what you're hoping for!! You'll have to settle for a Happy Anniversary!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Aussie_Toyman

I was just trying to figure out why I still tolerate you, hehehe
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Ok guys keep it in the bedroom!!!

It was just too nice an afternoon to pass up today. Warm, sunny and no wind, so I took the Mini Pulse for it's 2nd flight. Two words sweee eeeeeeeeet!!! It flew so nice. Fast, slow, upright, inverted, loops, rolls, snap rolls, cubans the works, and two of the most greased on landings I have ever performed. Great plane.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah, it looked great coming in for it's maiden landing, albeit with one wheel. I was only watching the video again today and that Mini Pulse of yours sure is a real slick plane!! It's funny, Jon made a comment the other day that was so true, he said something to the effect that we all have at least one plane in our hangar that makes us look like a competent pilot even if we're not really!! I don't know about your case but you seem to be a natural after only 6 months in the air, but that certainly applies to me...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 AM
jaskel

well i aint thrown the plane up in over a month....just right into this drifting...I will eventually get out with yall again, im keen to take the Bipe and the flapped cessna up again....
Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Let's do it... you name the place and time and we'll be there!! Haven't been to Ermington for a while or even Doyle Ground. Both of those are great fields and pretty central for everyone.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Mr Kamikaze

ORIGINAL: I_Love_My_ABC

Yeah, it looked great coming in for it's maiden landing, albeit with one wheel. I was only watching the video again today and that Mini Pulse of yours sure is a real slick plane!! It's funny, Jon made a comment the other day that was so true, he said something to the effect that we all have at least one plane in our hangar that makes us look like a competent pilot even if we're not really!! I don't know about your case but you seem to be a natural after only 6 months in the air, but that certainly applies to me...

Thanks Todd but I have had a lot of wrecks and accidents in that time. It has been a very steep learning curve but I will say a good simulator makes it a lot easier. I still average 1/2 hour daily on it.

Anyway. Finally finished this one. Canterbury Sailplanes Joker. I plan to use it at the indoor flies. It took so long because I couldn't find a reliable way to hinge the EPP foam. Tapes just don't stick to it. Anyway I stumbled across an idea in a magazine which seems to have worked fine. I'll post it here for anyone else building from EPP.

You cut the angles for hinging as you normally would. Then you butt the edges together and using a hot glue gun run a bead along the seam. Then while the glue is still warm flatten and spread it down using the back of a metal ruler or razor blade. Seems to work fine!

Hey Jaskel, I'm keen to fly too. So say when and where and I'll be there if I can. Next Sunday is out for me though being mothers day.

Name:	Ur52298.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	678644  
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Brett,

Make sure that you test this one outside before Thursday night!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Mr Kamikaze

Yes Obi Wan
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 AM
jaskel

yeah any day i can sneak out for a few hours...I work halfway between doyle and ermington..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.