Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Big Aussie (SYD) Get Togethers (Group Fly)

We're planning another group fly-in this Sunday morning over at George Kenadall Reserve (Lower field) in Ermington this Sunday morning. (Located at the southern end of Spurway St in Ermington, right on the Parramatta River)

We'll be kicking off around 8.00am and should be there for a few hours so if you're willing and able try to get on over there.

Cheers!!

Todd
Old 08-24-2007, 06:01 AM
rockape511

Sounds good hope to see you guys there, have a new eflite park 450 in my pt17 to crank out.

Duncan
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Funsters,

I just finished the brushless upgrade on my MPX Easy Glider Electric and she's going up after work in the morning(Sunday) probably over at Ermington on the way home from work!! A few minor mods were required like trimming off about 30 mm of foam from the nose and a ****load of epoxy to hold in the new motor.

The only real problem I encountered was that the new outrunner was much lighter than the stock geared speed 400 setup so the C.G was very much tail-heavy. The only place I was able to move the flight battery to fix the C.G. was into the under-side of the canopy. I hollowed out a battery-sized compartment in the solid foam canopy and epoxy'd a strip of velcro to secure it in place.

The C.G is now perfect and I filed a notch into the prop shaft to retain the prop which kept flying off as the grub screws had nothiong to bite into. I had fired it up a few times and it flew of at high speed narrowly missing the Stuka which was hanging up on the wall!!

It's now secured onto the shaft and from the bench test I can see that I'll probably be able to hold it at the tail pointing skywards and launch it like a rocket because the thrust it's generating with the stock 10x6 folding prop is just insane!! It should have unlimited vertical performance, and at the very least, it'll make the stock 4 minute climb to altitude in just a few seconds leaving plenty of glide time.

The total cost for the upgrade, including KDA20-20L 1053kv outrunner and TP 25A BESC was less than $45.00AU including freight. Delivery time was only 6 days!! Very good value and well worth a look!! I'll post the flight report in the morning, and I'll try to get some on-board video of the climb-out too.

Cheers

Todd
Old 09-02-2007, 05:48 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Brushless Easy Glider Re-Maiden

I took it out this morning expecting unlimited vertical performance, but it didn't exactly work out that way. I hand-launched in the standard way but immediately the glider pulled up and tried to climb vertically without any control input. I had estimated that there would be enough power to do so, but this was whilst I was testing it in the hangar and I didn't have the wings on at the time!! I had forgotten how heavy this thing really is, and I went extremely close to stalling and ploughing it into the deck!!

The only thing I can think of is that the thrust angle is out a bit, although I had tried to eyball it to a similar angle of the stock setup. After wrestling with it and saving a couple of near disasters I did managed to climb to altitude very quickly!! It looked like a tiny speck up in the sky so I shut off the motor and it glided perfectly back down which tends to suggest to me that the C.G. is perfect and the thrust angle is the problem.

I've kind of learned how to fly it as is now, managing the steep climb and subsequent stalls with a touch of down elevator so I don't know if I'll bother chipping all the epoxy away and setting it again. Because of the nature of electric gliders, you only use the motor in short bursts to re-gain altitude and then shut down to glide back to earth.

As far as motor performance goes it's very powerful and gains altitude very quickly indeed, but it's a little short of delivering vertical climb-outs. On the other hand, for $45.00 including freight it's a damn cheap upgrade that makes this glider 100 times more fun than the stock brushed setup.

Cheers!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Video
http://www.venom-aircorps.com/videos/Park_Fighters.wmv

You know those times when you innocently drop in to your LHS for a minor bits and pieces ie. props, C.A, balsa etc, and out of the corner of your eye you spot something on the shelf that really grabs your attention... well it happened to me the other day!! I picked up the box to see what I originally thought was just another foam ARF but I was surprised to read that this kit included a 90% pre-assembled and pre-painted receiver-ready foam P51D Mustang with geared brushless (3860kv) in-runner, 25 amp ESC, 3 micro servos for $115.00AU. (About $90.00US)

There's some more info on Venom's website here...

http://www.venom-aircorps.com/produc...ters/index.htm

http://www.venom-group.com/product/a...#park_fighters

I'm guessing that these things are fairly new, at least here in Australia, because I've never heard of them until now. Actually, Mr K had mentioned it to me a week or so ago, but I either wasn't listening or it just didn't register with me. I did find them on the Tower Hobbies website listed for $189.00US so this would appear to be a real bargain!!

Having just received two orders from UH in China, and with my cash-flow rather diminished, I placed the P51D on lay-by so I'll pick it up on pay day next week. I did open the box and take a quick look at the foam through the plastic bags and it looks to be of much better quality than the GWS arbirds. Much the same as the Ultrafly foam used in the Warhawk, and It's finished off very nicely too and includes 3 different versions of historically accurate decals. The P51D looks to only require minimal construction ie. glue the tail on and hinge the elevators, install the GWS-style skinny wheel landing gear and RX and that's about all you need to do to to get it in the air.

Interestingly, both models are identical in size to their GWS counterparts, and the panel lines are also identical. (I read that on the rcgroups forum) Actually, the CEO of GWS, Mr Lin posts there too and he said that these things are a Chinese clone of their kit, and he was dissapointed as he actually knows the owner of the Venom company personally. There was some talk from otheres that a disgruntled staff member had actually smuggled out a CAD design or mold of each model and copied them, but I imagine this is pure speculation.

In any case, this looks to be a very good kit and very good value for money. The proof will be in the flying though, so I'll post a flight report and hopefully some video of the maiden when I actually get it in the air.

Todd
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

...mind you, you could probably set up a GWS P51 or Zero with a small outrunner, ESC and three servos for pretty much the same price as these, but what I like is there's no building, which is my weak point!!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Oh well, my unblemished run of 50 or so flights without a crash is over!!

This time I totally dumb-thumbed it attempting to go inverted from a WOT dive and ploughed into the ground nose first at high speed!! Apart from one of the motor wires being pulled right out of the motor, one stripped servo, the right and left fuse halves seperated about 10mm at one end and bent the weak aluminium wing spars. I dismantled it all, which took all of 5 minutes (Because it's only held together with clear packing tape...) That appears to be all the damage it sustained!!

I'll replace both spars with hollow carbon fibre tubes if I can find any, replace the servo and solder the motor wire back on. A little strategically placed epoxy and hot glue later it should be back in the air.

Todd
Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

ORIGINAL: I_Love_My_ABC

Brushless Easy Glider Re-Maiden

I took it out this morning expecting unlimited vertical performance, but it didn't exactly work out that way. I hand-launched in the standard way but immediately the glider pulled up and tried to climb vertically without any control input. I had estimated that there would be enough power to do so, but this was whilst I was testing it in the hangar and I didn't have the wings on at the time!! I had forgotten how heavy this thing really is, and I went extremely close to stalling and ploughing it into the deck!!

The only thing I can think of is that the thrust angle is out a bit, although I had tried to eyball it to a similar angle of the stock setup. After wrestling with it and saving a couple of near disasters I did managed to climb to altitude very quickly!! It looked like a tiny speck up in the sky so I shut off the motor and it glided perfectly back down which tends to suggest to me that the C.G. is perfect and the thrust angle is the problem.

I've kind of learned how to fly it as is now, managing the steep climb and subsequent stalls with a touch of down elevator so I don't know if I'll bother chipping all the epoxy away and setting it again. Because of the nature of electric gliders, you only use the motor in short bursts to re-gain altitude and then shut down to glide back to earth.

As far as motor performance goes it's very powerful and gains altitude very quickly indeed, but it's a little short of delivering vertical climb-outs. On the other hand, for $45.00 including freight it's a damn cheap upgrade that makes this glider 100 times more fun than the stock brushed setup.

Cheers!!
OK,

Finally got a good day to test the Easy Glider with the new brushless setup, however, the fooll that drives my car (Me) forgot the SD card for the helmet cam so I was unable to video the flight!! I started out with a 10% throttle - elevator mix which didn't work at all, it actually pitched up violently, stalled again and darted it in from about 3 meters up with no damage.

I tried again with a 15% mix and it seemed to improve the climb-out marginally but it still tended to pitch up dramatically and stalled at full throttle. A 20% mix almost fixed the problem allowing a gentle 10-15 degree climb-out at 50% throttle but at full throttle it still raises the nose and stalls. I kept the mix adjustment ratio up on the screen and experimented with whilst the plane was in the air.

I was climbing in dead calm wind, and when I dialed up to a 24% mix this allowed a solid 45% climb-out with no stall encountered. It would appear that the problem is fixed thanks to your suggestion Pentax. I shut off the motor at altitude and glided around for close to 20 minutes before bringing it in to change the flight pack. This time the climb out was positive and solid at full throttle.

The wind had picked up a bit too but there was no more stalling to be found. It climbs-out nicely at 20 degrees on 50% throttle and approximately 45 degrees on full throttle. It climbs out very quickly now and the battery life is dramatically improved because of this.

Todd
Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Look what's fully repaired and ready to take to the sky again...

Once I actually got going, the repairs only took about two hours, two replacement servos, two replacement wing spars, three sticks of hot glue, two meters of clear packing tape and a little solder and heat-shrink insullation. I did a lot more strengthening than on the original build and it feels a lot stiffer through the wing now too. I'm looking forward to seeing her fly again!!

Todd
Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

Sunday Morning Carnage

O.K,

So I guess you're all sitting on the edge of your seats wondering what happened at Sunday morning's Hammondville Fun-Fly...

TOTAL CARNAGE - THAT"S WHAT HAPPENED!!

All up, a total of four models ploughed into the deck with one definite write-off, one almost-definite write-off, one "I could fix it but I don't know if I'll bother..." and one medium-serious, but not fatal meeting with terra firma. I only managed to video two of the four crashes, and both of those include the dreaded "Walk Of Shame" which did infact last longer than their respective flights!!

In attendance were George, Ben, Brett(For a short while), Bruce, Todd, Harrison, Mitchell, two council garbo's and "Parkflyer" who turned up later on.

We kicked off at around 7.30am in some mild to gusting winds and everything was going along fine until Ben took to the sky for his long-awaited Tiger Shark re-maiden. Luckily, (Or un-lucikily for Ben as the case may be...) I had the video camera rolling at the time. Apparently it left a 5cm crated in the firm ground!! Enjoy...

The Tiger Shark Incident

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhvQs0U6b0

Next to make an impression was George who suffered a strong radio glitch and said hello to the turf with his Parkzone Typhoon 3D. Unfortunately no video was recorded of this one. He then re-grouped and went on to demonstrate his advanced heli skills to the on-looking garbo's that arrived to take the bins away. I'm not sure if he turfed it into the back of the garbage compactor, but there was a trail of Z-foam pieces about five meters long after the collision.

Not one to be left out of the action, Bruce did his Dynam Focus a major modification when I suspect he lost it in the sun glare whilst trimming it out at low altitude. It was a solid impact that looks repairable, but would probably benefit more from a bare airframe replacement. Again no video exists of this one.

Finally "Parkflyer turned up with his scratch-built German fighter which showed great potential, but went inverted at low altitude and he was unable to recover in time enough to save it. The damage was substantial, but fully repairable. I did manage to video this too...

Parkflyer's Fighter Maiden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Fk0c9CEqg

We also took part in the "ROG and Land on the Runway Challenge" which was taken out by George who was flying his Parkzone Super Cub. I took second place with my Art-Tech Cessna 182 and Bruce took third place with his disqualified Dynam Focus which wasn't airworthy at the time. Bruce was later awarded joint second place with myself when it was discovered that I was using his 3S 1700Mah LiPo pack after my "Puffy" 3S 1300Mah LiPo puffed it's last puff...

Apart from that there was plenty of great, but un-eventful flying by all. I managed to trim out my GP Slinger nicely, and it's now flying better than it ever did!! I strapped the helmet cam onto the newly converted brushless Easy Glider and took some high altitude video of the city, but had to come down when the real helicopters came in to Bankstown airport a bit low. If you're at all interested in that sort of thing have a look...

ABC's Glider Over Hammondville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vrx3NlHrI

All in all it was an interesting morning with more than enough excitment to keep everybody amused. Hey, we should do this again!!

Cheers!!

Todd
Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 PM
jaskel

well seems like an tough day...some sore hearts there by the look of it

Whens the next day, I really must get out, im up by 630 most days now so i will make it out one day..lol

I havnt even charged a battery in 3 months...how sad is that....my flatout bipe is still not built and I forgot whats left and right..haha

anyway looks like yall are having fun..we will have to get you out to the park at Glenmore one day where I fly...massive park and good views of the M4 on the plane cam
Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Jason, we're meeting over at Hammondville again this Sunday morning. Try and get over there, we normally get 5-10 guys out there flying all kinds of different stuff!!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:12 AM
jaskel

nah this weekend is definatly out, I have my parents and my brother, his wife and my niece staying over from up the coast... maybe look at next weekend tho.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

O.K,

I'm finally happy that the P-51D Mustang is ready to maiden on Sunday morning!! The replacement gearbox arrived a couple of days ago and I finally got a chance to finish off a few things ie. properly mount the battery pack with velcro strips, properly mounted the RX... with the damn crystal installed this time, taped up the leading wing edges with clear packing tape, removed the stock landing gear again, re-programed the ESC for the correct profile and LiPo setting and finally got the C.G. set in the recommended place.

I was unable to move the battery pack any further forward due to the foam firewall, so I had to do something I absolutely hate to do to get the C.G. even remotely near where it should be. I had to place two old socket set sockets and a pile of blue-tac inside the cowl. Eventually I got the C.G. set but it really feels like it's very nose-heavy. Oh well, it's exactly where the manual said it should be, so the only way to tell for sure is to just throw it up in the air and see what happens...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
jaskel

what time u guys out on sunday?? I have a 30th birthday to attend on sat night so I dont know how ill pull up on sun...but we will see
Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Not sure mate, seems like nobody want's to make a decision as to where and when... might just go to Timbrell Park, Five Dock after work in the morning, I'm on nights until Tuesday morning so regardless of where the other guys go Sunday, I'll probably get out a couple of times weather permitting!! Hanging to maiden this little P51...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
jaskel

roger that....ill see how i go
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Well,

I'm proud to announce that the maiden flight of the tang went well and without incident!! I throttled up and a mate threw it up into the air and it immediately began to climb out. There was a tendency for it to dive slightly but I held a little pitchand it was OK. Did a few circuits and some minor aerobatics just to get the feel of it before settling down onto the grass for a perfect belly landing.

Luckily the guy who launched it for me also had his camera with him and took some great in-flight shots...

...with his new high-spec camera. The thing that impressed us all was the sound of the gearbox grinding away. It sounded very scale and not unlike a big rumbling 12 cylinder Merlin at full tilt!! Pretty impressed with the scale looks too just quietly!!

If you're having any difficulty viewing these pictures, the thread is over here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...82#post8312671

I brought her back in, put the pack on the charger and proceeded to adjust the elevator trim the took her back out for a couple more flights. It was trimmed perfectly now and flying beatifully so I didn't tempt fate and brought her in again for another greased landing.

All up I'm pretty impressed with the looks and sound. It flies very scale, not super fast, butthere's certainly plenty of power. It will glide in and settle down on the grass very well too. Great price and quite stable in the air.

:lol: :lol:

Todd
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Ermington Sunday morning, 7.30am (New daylight savings time) if anybody's interested...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:58 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Anybody flying this Sunday morning??
Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 PM
peril

I just moved into Sydney.

I have S&B 163 Komet and GWS Zero, both paper covered to increase strength and have high power brushless installs. Some otrher small projects on the board and also a number of fuel powered models.

Are you guys still active? I'd love to go flying with yas.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:21 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Hi Peril,

I hope you get this before tomorrow morning, but we are all meeting over at Hammondville in the morning (Sunday) from about 7.30am and you are welcome to join us!! This is the first time we've all flow together since before Xmas so we're hoping for a good turn up. The Google map location is here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=17&iwloc=addr

We fly on the field that is closest to the bottom of the screen (Click on sattelite for a better view) Just tun up in the morning, or give me a buzz on the number I just PM'd you if you get lost in the.

Hope to see you there!!

Todd
Old 01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I_Love_My_ABC

The Dodger's Farewell Fun Fly

This Sunday, at Hammondville... Count me in!! Let's try to get a huge turn-out for The Dodger's swan song fun-fly and fire sale. Bring your cash with you everyone, you may just grab yourselves a bargain!! We should celebrate somewhere afterwards, perhaps at the sports club in the complex for a tall glass of milk or a shandy.

Who's in??

[:-][:-]

Google link in post #945 for those who haven't been there...

Todd
Old 04-26-2008, 01:23 AM
jaskel

any of you guys still flying?? I aint had time with the new bub..mainly just the chopper in the front yard..

Also congrats to ABC for his bub too!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 AM
I_Love_My_ABC

Hey How you guys going Jas... it's been a long time!! What did you guys have?? We had another boy... Oliver born on March 17th. I know there's a few guys heading over to Ermington in the morning, but not in the same area that we normally fly. You go to the end of Trumper St and park there, the flight area is just over the fence. Jon, (Aussie_Toyman) will be there and a few others, but I'm stuck babysitting in the morning and three kids is just not fun when you're trying to fly!! I got out there this morning with Yogo, but I was on nightshift last night and forgot to throw in the planes...

We normally post over at RCGroups now in either of these two threads...

Trash-Talk Thursday Combat
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&goto=newpost

Flying In Sydney
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4&goto=newpost

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.