Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Buying a new ZAGI

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Nebukatnizar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new ZAGI

So, i've been looking into buying a Zagi for a while now, i've ben looking at the Zagi XS, ut still not reallt sure which one is best for me...any idea's?

I have a airplane already, but i'm still new to flying, I've been doing RC trucks for a while now,so im not new to r/c..

So whast everyone input in this?? WHich Zagi do you think I should get?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Gulliver

Default RE: Buying a new ZAGI

Any model that uses a brushless motor would be OK. The brushed motor versions are dogs.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Nebukatnizar

Alright, thaskns for the help, anyone else have any first hand expeirences with Zagi's and can tell me wha they think of there model?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 AM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying Trick RC wings for years. Good stuff! My current wing is the XS. It's very fast with a Mega 16/15/4 brushless motor in it. I fly it with two 4200 2s lipos in series. That gives me just under 100mph level flight and unlimited vertical performance! It also flies nice and slow too. It's much more crash resistant because it is ALL EPP!

Here's a photo...

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45001.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	593493  
Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Nebukatnizar

Wow, nice plane you have there!

So do you think this would be a good first plane to start with?

I have flown a few times before but nothing really at all...I do use r/c trucks and realize it is very diffrent...

So could it be a good first plane?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
RWP
My Feedback: (2)

The Zagi's are ok but for a beginner a WW eRaider, Combat Wing XE2, or a Unicorn might be better since they are all EPP without any plastic to break. The eRaider is available in a 5 spar version. http://wingwarrior.com/zen/index.php...products_id=26
Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
ChopperMike

I had been thinking of getting a Zagi also. As luck would have (good luck for a change) I won a Zagi XS at a swap meet in Waukesha WI! Only cost me $10 worth of raffle tickets! Anything I should look out for during the build. One question is regarding the adhesive. They recommend 3M 77 or 87 which I've had trouble locating. I have some Duro spray adhesive and have seen some other brands out there but I'm not sure if there's any difference between them or if they'll be compatible with the EPP.

It came with a speed 400, ESC and 8 cell NiMH pack. It'll get a brushless, I just haven't decided which one. I have several laying around, some inrunners, some outrunners. I will be using the NiMH pack. I'm going to split it up into two 4 cell packs to use as a receiver pack for my Swift heli.

I had a Watt Age Hyper wing which I liked which got me thinking about getting a Zagi. It flew OK with the Speed 400 but those motors only lasted me for a dozen flight or so!

Looking forward to flying it.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Nebukatnizar

Nice, lucky you, tell me how things go with your Zagi!!

Anyone know anything about the combat wing XE2
Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Arkitexas

Lowe's Home Improvement Store and Home Depot both carry 3M-77 and 87.

Zagi is a good solid wing despite a lot of naysayers who beat up on it like it was Microsoft. The fact is, Zagi has a decent airfoil, is all EPP foam, has 5 carbon fiber spars burried flush plus one plywood spar, is well designed, and the standard kit is more complete than any other on the market. The standard $150 kit comes with foam wing, carbon spars, servo rods, winglets, engine cowl/mount, glue, 400 speed motor, 5x5 prop, prop adapter, fiber tape, covering tape, 20 Amp speed controller, 1800 mAh 8 cell NiMh battery, instructions written by Americans (thats worth big bucks), plywood ailerons, aileron hinge tape, control horns, Deans connectors, velcro, and yummy candies to eat while you work. A lot of "better" kits are missing about half of this stuff. If you already have a transmitter and battery charger, you will only need to buy two servos, one receiver, and 3M spray adhesive.

The stock motor in the XS is minimal but it will push the plane along at 50 mph and teach you how to fly rather than "power" your way out of trouble. The motor only costs $10 and if you are new to flying you are likely to fry one in the learning process. Better to toast a $10 motor than a $65 brushless. When you feel confident, you can change out the motor to a brushless Mega 16/15/4 (or other brand) without any mods at all and add 25 mph to the speed and unlimited vertical. A brushless motor will also require a brushless speed controller. Or if you want to pay $100 more up front you can buy the brushless Zagi Tazz. I have run my XS full tilt into the ground, put the battery back in it and tossed it up for another 10 minutes of flight. The worst damage I ever had only took 30 minutes to repair. After 20 to 30 crashes (I like low level hot dogging) I finally busted the plastic motor mount/cowl. It cost $8 to replace and 30 minutes.

There are a lot of other good wings available and many can outperform the Zagi. But, as an all around solid wing and complete kit, Zagi is a good product for a good price (look at nesail.com). One thing to look out for are wings that are part EPP and part EPS. You want all EPP. The servos recommended for the Zagi XS are the Hitec HS-81MG (metal gears). The metal gears cost about $8 more each but are worth every penny.

Rick
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
RickAvery

IMHO, zagis are fine good flying wings. I’ve flown several XS models. I think the suggestion to get a Wing Warrior E-Raider is an excellent one. One of the reasons is the plastic hatches and motor mounts found on the zagis. They are a PITA & the weakest link in their construction. Yes, the wings are made of EPP as are most of the popular wings, but if you drill the zagi you’ll be fixing/replacing plastic parts. The motor will almost certainly punch its way through the motor mount cradle. Fixable? Usually. Will it stop your flying session while you repair? Probably. The wings themselves are tough, I’ve seen my bro-in-laws zagi bounce 8’ high and survive. I have a Wing Warrior E-Slayer which is similar to the E-Raider but has a smaller wing cord which makes it a bit more agile. I would go for the E-Raider if I were you but the zagi XS is a good choice also. Contrary to other posts, these wings fly fine with the stock 400 can motors. No, they will not go straight up! No, they will not go 100mph! No, you will not do blistering fast fly-bys to ohhh & ahhh the crowd. But they fly good and will teach you how to fly a wing. Putting in a hot rod motor can always come later as your skills improve. Wings are a must for my hanger. When the wind picks up and everyone is stowing their lightweight foamys, I’m going for the wing and having a blast! I’m sure you will to. Good luck.
Rick
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Nebukatnizar

Wow thaskn for the last to posters, you really helped me alot....

But, does anyone know anything about the Combat Wing XE2...because i was looking more for a Combo Kit (with radio, servos, transmitter...etc...) or a RTF, rather than a kit like the Wing Warrior

I seem stuck...the XE2 seems strong, and quite upgradable, but the Combat Wing XE2 seems quite the contender as well

http://www.zagi.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=7
http://www.combatwings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
RWP

I have a Combat Wings XE2 and like it very much. I built it several years ago with a brushless motor. I also have all the Zagi's and like them as well. To compare the 2 the XE2 is probably more stable for a beginner than the Zagi XS. The Zagi's are a bit more prone to tip stall than the XE2. That is not a concern after you learn to fly but beginners tend to want to fly to slow especially in a turn which can lead to tip stall. Of the 2 links you list above you will still have to build the Zagi and it is not a brushless motor. You can buy the XE2 ready to fly with brushless motor covered with Ultracote. If you go that route I would get the Mega Motor. I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you choose.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM
SFPAKULS

RWP,
Whats the Brushless setup on your XE2's. Which Mega Motor , ESC , Battery , and Prop are you running. I'm converting mine to Brushless and have a PHX-45 ESC, want to run off of NiMH for starters, then switch to LiPo when I get the $$. What should I put in for a motor? Does my plan sound OK?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 AM
RWP

ORIGINAL: SFPAKULS

RWP,
Whats the Brushless setup on your XE2's. Which Mega Motor , ESC , Battery , and Prop are you running. I'm converting mine to Brushless and have a PHX-45 ESC, want to run off of NiMH for starters, then switch to LiPo when I get the $$. What should I put in for a motor? Does my plan sound OK?
I have a Mega 16/15/4, CC 35 ESC, and APC 6X4E Prop. NiMH batteries will work fine. Your 45amp ESC will work. An 8 cell pack of GP2000's fit the battery compartment and will fly the wing ok. Nine or 10 cells would be better but may not fit in the battery slot. When you go Lipo get some of the newer 20-25C cells. Probably a good 3S pack would be best for the XE2. I run 2 3700mah 2S packs in series on my Ritewing Demon for a 4S setup also with a Mega 16/15/4 and CC 45. Pulls about 41amps with a 6X4E Prop. That setup has unlimited vertical. Would probably flap a stock XE2 without extra spars.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 AM
atmk

my friend got a combatwing and dislikes the motor mount (is a small l bracket that glues right where you hollowed out the epp for the motor i got a unicorn which is very solid and glides nicely unfortunately they don't sell complete kits like zagi or even combatwings. i would suggest the zagi kit cause it has everything you want.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
tam popo

Greetings from over the pond! Just building my first zagi (JP 480si over here). Easy to put together - look at futaba servos 3003. 480 powerful and don't need lipo's, cheap to replace - keep it simple to start with. Just a point, today my LHS said i need insurance, join a club etc cos of air traffic control laws here - zagi will climb to 700 ft and fly at 80mph. Insurance invalid if not with club and go thru 11-point solo test. When ia a park flyer not a park flyer. - My other planes are aerobird swift (tough, stable) and CC Lee ME262 that DOES fly now that its got twin 480 - a beast!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I used to be retired - tried it once but didn't like it!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
jak stoll

I do think the zagi is a good plane accept... :-) the plastic
I learned on an old 400X which wasent all EPP & I must have broken 3 motor trays
I ended up making my own mounts from foam blocks made to a tapered saddle & running zip ties thru the wing which worked great.
my learning process was really destructive though since there are no flying fields here to learn on, I learned in a place littered with light poles & trees..... muahahah
I think zagi is a good product but if you crash as much as I did learning make your own motor mount & hood for it :-)
the XS really does look like a good plane
I like the combat wings too I like the simplicity of that wing dosent look like there is much to break on it :-)
I am currently flying a RC works lil stinker which is a 36 inch symetrical air foil I love it :-)
take care & thanks for reading my nonsence :-)
JAK
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3nmFHcpfs]me & my choped wing[/link]
Old 03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
tam popo

Jak, I'm not worth, I'm not worthy.......... Wow! If I can fly mine as well as you I'll die happy. You're right about the plastic pod = needs beefing up BEFORE assembley. Only control rods etc to fit and soldering to do to finish. Time for bed[X(]
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Arkitexas

I agree that the plastic tray/motor mount is one of Zagi's weakest points, but the tray itself is great. There is tons of room inside and everything pops open in a crash which results in less damage to the plane when the heavy parts keep going and the rest stays behind. The tray ventilates very well which helps on high current setups. If Zagi would reinforce the tray or provide an aluminum motor mount it would be a tremendous improvement. My solution was to add a coat hanger wire "hoop" inside the motor mount bubble. I formed the wire from the aft end, past the zip ties, and around the forward end of the motor. This reinforces the plastic when resisting the forward momentum of the motor in a crash. The hoop is contoured so that it is actually "catching" the rear end of the motor and very close to the plastic housing. The wire is set in epoxy (rough sand the plastic for a good bond). I installed the zip tie using a plastic tube sheath to facilitate easy replacement of the zip tie, cinched it tight around the motor, and then filled the motor bubble with standard urethane insulation foam. This setup has been in 4 or 5 crashes to date and has shown no signs of cracking or tearing. As a tip, do not epoxy the plastic tray to the plane, but rather use a continuous strip of double sided servo tape. Epoxy doesn't stick well enough there. Lastly, add a small piece of velcro at the front-center of the tray lid. It prevents the air from opening the lid and helps get more air into the housing.

Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Our club has been flying full contact combat with Combat Wings with standard ($10) motors for years. Alot of fun, very durable and easy to fly. Not hard to build. You need a mid range computer radio for most wings. Have fun.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
tam popo

Good tips! Just been doing electrics and I'll definately try the coathanger tip. How do you fasten the lid of canopy down? Will test the CG tomorrow and finish the decoration - don't laugh but the Limey is adding a stars and stripes theme - its easier than the union jack! Will this get me honorary citizenship of the US of A?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Arkitexas

Tam Popo:

The lid is hinged on the right side with the same hinge tape used on the elevons. I use Dubro hinge tape which is actually 3M "Blenderm", a medical tape. It is very elastic and will last quite a long time. Just run a strip the full length of the right side of the lid. The Zagi uses a small piece of Velcro to secure the left side. If you buy your own, get the "commercial" Velcro because it sticks better (remember that the adhesive requires 24 hours to fully adhere). A strip of hinge tape along the front of the tray (not the lid) will insure that air doesn't get under the tray and work it loose. I add another small piece of Velcro at the front center of the lid to insure that it does not blow open in high speed flight. This second Velcro latch also raises the lid 1/16 inch across the entire front of the lid which directs a lot of air across the electronics for maximum cooling. When the battery ejects in a crash the Velcro releases before the lid or wing is damaged. The tape hinge has never torn on my planes.

To get an honorary US citizenship all you need to do is walk across the border or not be french. Thus, having stars and stripes on your wing should more than qualify you. I own a 53 MG TD with Union Jacks in several locations. I know the difference between a bonnet, a boot, a windscreen, and a dynamo. I guess I'm almost a Brit!

Rick
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 AM
RWP

I hinge my battery compartment door across the front with tape. Then use a piece of velcro on each side at the back. This way the door opens from back to front instead of side to side and will not come open in high speed flight.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:57 AM
tam popo

Hiya! I'll look at the tips and see if I can adapt to use Brit hardware etc. Don't start me on cars - before early retirement I worked cust service for Lexus, Jaguar, Ford etc. Your car is class!!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
jak stoll

hey there tam popo :-)

I really liked the wing in the video I had actually sectioned out 8 inches from the root of that wing because I had crashed it several times as a 48 inch wing so hard that it literally riped in half several times
so I cut it downto 40 inches & recovered it & it flew better then it did to beginn with :-) & much liter
the night we shot that video & pulled my gear from it & gave it to my 15 year old & built myself an RC works lil stinker from cores I bought from them
Ive flown the new wing several times but never when it was calm (allways verry windy) so I havent had a chance to really give it hell but it is a really fin wing from what I have gathered so far
they are easy to build & you can buy cores & spars & build it yourself taking advice from others or buy an ARF either way its a ton of fun :-)
I made this mount & canope which scoops in air in the front & exhausts where the wires come out the back for the motor, it keeps air moving rite over the ESC :-)
I like to let the battery breathe
take care
JAK
I cant seem to get pics to work but go to my gallery & you can see a mount I did & a canope I made out of a milk jug
take care
JAK
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78999.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	636529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74543.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	636530  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.